Looking for someone to help out on our homestead/farm

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmahoney

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello y’all!
(my apologies if I posted this in the wrong thread)

We are looking for someone to watch/help out on our homestead.
We travel to Vermont 5 times a year to visit family and pick up hay for our animals, and we are looking for someone to help us out when we are gone. We are also open to long term help. We can offer different kinds of pay, such as money or just staying at our homestead and teaching and feeding you.

A little more about us:
We are a family of three, and we have a 100 acre homestead in Roanoke, AL.
We are committed to following Biblical standards in every aspect of our lives, including our approach to farming. We strive to emulate creation in the way we feed and care for our animals.
We also observe the sabbath every Saturday, and on that day, we only do the necessary animal chores.
Our farm is home to Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Kune Kune Pigs, American Guinea Hogs, Guinea Hens, Chickens, Quail, and our two Rat Terriers.😊 All of our animals are fed Organic and raised as naturally as possible.
If you are interested at all, or just want to talk about it, feel free to DM me or text: (mod comment to PM her for the phone number if you need it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you luck. It is hard to find someone or a couple to cover even for a few days.😞
Thank you.
Yes, it has been hard to find people. We had a great guy who was really good at taking care of the animals and he stayed with us for a long time, but then he got married and moved to CA.😕

I can't help you on your farm but I do have a question.

Why do you get your hay from 1200 miles away?
So this is a bit complicated.😂
Vermont hay is high quality and VERY different from Alabama hay (and a lot cheaper). Goats are very picky and seems all of our goats are originally from VT they are used to that hay. For a while we tried to use the hay down here, but all of are (very) stubborn goats refused to eat it and started to starve themselves instead of eating it. :rolleyes: And seems we do not feed our goats grain, their hay is the most important part of their diet.
But we just moved from VT a few years ago, and we have close family up there so it works out. Whenever we visit Vermont, we just bring a load of hay back in our 24' enclosed trailer. We have not been able to find hay anywhere near as good of quality down here, and we have tried quite a few different kinds.

I would love to help you but unfortunately it would be a year or better before I could make the move. As I lived in AL in the past I would just get my license back. Stay in touch here and see what the future brings!
Definitely keep in touch!

Latest posts

Back