Maintaining the option of MOBILITY in prepping for SHTF (ESPECIALLY "personal" SHTF).

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of along my "working idea".

I had a friend he earned a lot of money throughout his life as a very successful dental practice and owner of luxury hunting & fishing lodge in Alaska. When he got to roughly where I find myself, (mid to late 70's) he rented a large super secure warehouse in South Anchorage. He moved all his stuff in there and lived in there when he was in Anchorage.
yes..but i been reading they as in authorities been cracking down on folks sneaking and living in storage units..see it a bunch as of late..owners have liability issues as well so you get turned in as well even by owners.

The Goal in this thread IS NOT to find an existing workable answer, but to clarify the question, clarify the end goal. As I have said many times on this forum, people loathe thinking. I have been working on this for exactly seven months as of tomorrow. I don't expect to have a lightly penciled in plan till eleven months from now.

yes..but i been reading they as in authorities been cracking down on folks sneaking and living in storage units..see it a bunch as of late..owners have liability issues as well so you get turned in as well even by owners.
This was NOT a storage unit it was a 4,500 square foot industrial warehouse with 18 foot ceilings.

Last edited:
I like the analogy of the wagon wheel concept with the hub for all worldly needs.

But not sure what you’re looking for here, Sourdough. But then it seems it’s just an idea you’re refining. And… ideas are what you’re getting.

So to relay a way of doing that, and one I’d like…. I’ll tell a story of my mom remarrying after my dad died: They both sold their houses and bought a motorhome. It was their only home for 10 years. They’re not preppers but lived the live style to some extent. They could have easily lived off the grid with all they needed. And stayed in one place long enough to garden, hunt and fish., and preserved enough goods to survive for a year or so, until doing it over again, or just saying f-that…. too much work…. Let’s just go to the grocery store.

The Goal in this thread IS NOT to find an existing workable answer, but to clarify the question, clarify the end goal. As I have said many times on this forum, people loathe thinking. I have been working on this for exactly seven months as of tomorrow. I don't expect to have a lightly penciled in plan till eleven months from now.
"There is wisdom in a multitude of counselors." Proverbs

Brain storming is more effective when there are multiple competing ideas. Maybe one or two suggestion will help you find your answer.

Ben

Let us not dwell on what will NOT work. Let's think of what has never been thought of "ever" before.

We might be building a blueprint for senior citizens with money, they are single (so none of, "well they could never enroll their lifelong partner"). They sell their house for 1,8 million dollars, keep the stuff then desire.

well the question is.... how to be housed in some form or fashion right? or how to be housed with senior limitations?

see some of these limitations for answers is because you are at the mercy of others goals and plans and ability to hire them to do things etc. so your options might be very limited..just example during this c-19 no amount of money could get jobs done...everything and everyone was booked...4 years to get a new roof put on..let that sink in a bit.

nobody loathes anything..they trying to help..even if it falls way short of your and others expectations we doing best we can to help...i for one..dont want to be homeless or renter...because of what you are going through i am looking for right piece of land in town by a hospital..if i need it going into my future.one thing i am looking at..roads..towns with speed limit of 25mph anyone can drive an electric golf-cart down road without drivers license on barsoom.

Maybe one or two suggestion will help you find your answer.
But I have stated I am NOT looking for answers. I am looking for what does not exist but could be created. The problem with forums is people are aggressively selling/enrolling others, with their covert goal being to feel good that what they did the right thing.

But I have stated I am NOT looking for answers. I am looking for what does not exist but could be created. The problem with forums is people are aggressively selling/enrolling others, with their covert goal being to feel good that what they did the right thing.
doing the best we can my friend

Some rich seniors become cruisers, just live on cruise ships. Or get a motor home and be camp hosts. I could see doing that in the summers.

Some rich seniors become cruisers, just live on cruise ships. Or get a motor home and be camp hosts. I could see doing that in the summers.
my sister just met a senior lady doing that right now...for the last several years.

I’m all for thinking outside of the box and coming up with a new and great way of doing things. But…. dwelling on it might not get you anywhere, and maybe you should just follow your instincts on what’s next.

We humans have been doing this for a long time… surviving. Perhaps just refine what works today, to fit your individual situation?

nobody loathes anything..they trying to help..even if it falls way short of your and others expectations we doing best we can to help.
Do you know what is a "KOAN"....???

No one in this thread has done thinking, not me for sure.

Thinking is constantly confused with choosing a preexisting answer. When I say people loathe thinking, I am saying they loathe thinking on the same subject/problem for months or years or a lifetime. Everything in this thread (including all my posts) are not thinking, they are choosing the best existing known answer.

Do you know what is a "KOAN"....???

No one in this thread has done thinking, not me for sure.

Thinking is constantly confused with choosing a preexisting answer. When I say people loathe thinking, I am saying they loathe thinking on the same subject/problem for months or years or a lifetime. Everything in this thread (including all my posts) are not thinking, they are choosing the best existing known answer.
no idea what koan is....i am simple person...a problem needs an answer...bible says theres nothing new under the sun...bottom line you need a roof over your head someway or fashion...what that looks like i have no idea now.

you stated you didnt want to own anything...well that alone means you rent of some type(apartment,motel,hotel,home,storage facility etc.) or do a work share or live in a commune type setting...either way you are paying rent or labor or something for that.

you dont have a lifetime to wait...daily needs must be met...like hardcalibers said winter there is the kicker..its coming soon...its already june 16th.

also since its for seniors we gotta talk about their physical limitations...and all are different..i have a 75 year old friend still cutting and busting 10 cords of firewood a year in far north to heat just one winter with.he says he can see himself slowing way down now.

For work there was a 3 year period where I was splitting time between the west and east coasts. Instead of living in hotels the following is something I considered… Job site cabinets for sale at Graingers. They have several styles, field office, clam shell shelving etc. All mounted on casters, roll them in, roll them out when it’s time to go.

But I could put anything in them… a kitchen, clothes, an electronic center. I could have them stored when on the other coast or shipped anywhere. I could live a few months at a location, then close and lock them up and call a trucking company. Even better, today they also have modular tool case systems, stackable w/hand trucks.

Not only would my possessions be modular but my furniture as well. For me years ago my job was too chaotic for it to be workable. But for 3 or 4 seasonal moves each year something like this could work.

Grain 001.jpg
Grain 002.jpg

I’m all for thinking outside of the box and coming up with a new and great way of doing things. But…. dwelling on it might not get you anywhere, and maybe you should just follow your instincts on what’s next.

We humans have been doing this for a long time… surviving. Perhaps just refine what works today, to fit your individual situation?
So.......you are advocating "DON'T think, just choose something.

So.......you are advocating "DON'T think, just choose something.
Grr… the refining part involves thinking on your part.

We apparently are not capable of doing that for you, and you don’t like our stories about how it’s been done, and you don’t like simple suggestions. So…. you were right in OP saying this thread would suck. Paraphrasing

Last edited:
So....how many have a mobility plan they figure to implement, should it be clearly necessary, that does not require a road of any type or any quality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back