Maintaining the option of MOBILITY in prepping for SHTF (ESPECIALLY "personal" SHTF).

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas that sound good to you, Sourdough? Or maybe a combination of ideas.
No nothing new. To be fair, I have for the last seven months immersed in the goal of this thread as my number one problem to resolve. I figure another ten or eleven months, some things should start to stand out as a way forward.

I'm hearing YOU may not have a choice and want to get around that situation!!🤔😉
Yes, that is accurate, and a large part of this thread. Roughly I am hoping to break down my existing survival dwelling property into four smaller locations. With each being able to draw what is needed from the central warehouse. Basically, take the existing concept and reduce the number of fallback locations, and have new locations much farther distance from the hub. This would require that I have zero love or special fondness for whatever location I was at that point dwelling, if abandoning in 60 minutes was required.

The flaw in the existing system is that I can no longer physically do what is needed. Where for decades my physical ability was my survival asset. That is close to bankrupt now. The future will require intense focus on information, acquired as rapidly as possible, so as to physically relocate as instantly as possible.

Physical ability is key!!! At 55 I can become more physically fit! At a certain point in life we lose that choice! I knew what you were saying Sourdough!! I'm the kind that doesn't like to rely on anyone else, but at some point in life survival becomes dependent on having help! I don't like that!!

Sadly, I know this thread is going to be a disaster. But DAMN the torpedoes. This is "NOT" about standard mobility thinking, motor homes, travel trailers, vans, etc..

This is about the context for restructuring one's life with the primary goal to not be "exclusively" attached to one dwelling. I have learned that most preppers can't relate to this.

It is for me a whole new way of thinking, and I am only just started trying to figure out how to structure it, before even thinking of actually making it reality.

I think most will never relate to what I am trying to figure out. It would only have appeal to a tiny percentage of population. I want to have possessions, but not have a house or a home or long-term apartment.

Using the wagon wheel concept, the possessions would be the "hub". That could be a secure warehouse type structure. But there might be a better idea for that. Still thinking that location.

This might appeal to older people who have lost their life partner (if I ever get it figured out). This thread is a process of creating. Members will get very pissed/frustrated if they try to win the prize for the perfect answer. There is no answer, only a crude concept of a different way to live.
Former competitive runner disabled by a flu shot, and will never run again. Can barely walk now. Mobility is not an option. I'll stand and fight/defend, but a mobile lifestyle does not fit, for me.

Former competitive runner disabled by a flu shot, and will never run again. Can barely walk now. Mobility is not an option. I'll stand and fight/defend, but a mobile lifestyle does not fit, for me.
I get what you are saying. I have both hips are bone on bone. And I can't have a driver's license because of vision test.

So, those are part of the reason for what this thread proposes. My proposed work around of my issues, is to have the mobility, the flexibility to select where I will ride out the "S"storm.

As an example, this area of Alaska is at risk for the ramifications of volcanic eruptions, including those in Russia. While others are attempting to figure out what they need to do, my plan is to reposition my body to one of my preselected locations. The same is valid if my country, is sending nuclear ICBM's to Russia, as I am down wind of Russia.

The goal is having action plans in place, that are tested, and practiced. Now for those thinking how I would get from location to location in a SHTF reality, simply steal an airplane. Yes, I have experience stealing airplanes.

Any or all of these ideas are based on personal experience, level of tolerance, Actual self reliance, with out a bunch of stuff if necessary. Does this need to be done in a particular location. and budget, And if you own can you sell. how much of everything is based on your bank account.
First to think about something you need to have a set of parameters to go by otherwise it is just a guessing game.

One method of although slow mobility could be a https://snowdog.com/ca/ or a similar setup, it can be multi season and very multi terrain, this concept allows for a lot of mobility without a whole bunch of noise, .

Do they make solar powered electric wheel chairs?
Husband has a huge all terrain scooter. It handles the fields just fine. It's called a Wrangler. Set us back about 5K, though.
there are probably kits out there, but you would be better to build your own out of components, I have several small panel that I charge auto motive type lead acid batteries with, they keep limited use stuff charged,

I haven't read this entire thread. It intrigues me, but I'm busy readying for house guests and don't have much leisure time at the moment. @Sourdough, what you seem to be asking about is similar to how one of my friends son currently lives. He has a trailer. Not the camper type, but the cargo trailer type. He tows it, along with all his possessions inside, behind his vehicle. He will set down roots (temporary roots) where he ends up in need of money. He'll find a temporary job, usually outdoors related. He may rent lodging for him and his trailer somewhere if he'll be there for a longer time. Or he may just camp - pulling his tent out from the inside of his trailer. The trailer itself is not set up for living, only for hauling.

This type of lifestyle wouldn't suit me, but it kind of sounds a little bit like what you may be seeking. Being the cautious type, the first thing I thought about when my friend mentioned his sons living setup was theft. I would want to have a rock solid way of securing that trailer against break-ins or someone hooking it up to their vehicle and hauling the whole kit and kaboodle off. Maybe when you park it long-ish term, put it up on jackstands and take all the wheels off and store them inside the trailer. I'd want good crossbars and locks on the doors too. If you absolutely had to, you could hang a hammock inside the trailer for very short term living, but that seems too depressing a life for me. But in an emergency...

This type of lifestyle wouldn't suit me, but it kind of sounds a little bit like what you may be seeking.
Sorry......it is "ZERO" like I am seeking.....ZERO. Hell, I am not even allowed to drive any vehicle, I am blind from macular degeneration.

OK, so how are you going to fly an airplane, then?
You need to get a sidekick, Sourdough. A widow. A girlfriend.
I am a commercial pilot, and I am IFR rated. I can take off with zero or near zero visibility. I would have to land in at an airport with instrument landing systems.

Actually, I see just fine, I drive vehicles (but not on the highway) I shoot firearms & have five shooting ranges. I just don't pass the DMV vision test.

Makes me think of ol #7
1718666781798.png

They are ornery and can be a valuable resource. Now to read the other posts. 😊

You need to get a sidekick, Sourdough. A widow. A girlfriend.
Yes.....at this point a partnership would be of value to me and her (she must be a God made female, not a medically modified model). I'll tell you something interesting, that is a significant void in my ability to function. It is embarrassing how much of current suburban & deep suburban reality I don't comprehend.

1.) I have zero idea how to operate a dish washing machine.
2..) Zero idea how to program a modern Refrigerator/Freezer.
3.) Zero idea how to operate a keyless door system.
4.) Zero or near zero idea how to use latest credit cards with chips
5.) Zero idea how to do the self check-out at grocery, or get goofy discounts with phone numbers, or pay with cash or credit card .
6.) Zero idea how to pay taxi driver other then with vouchers that I pre-purchase.
7.) Zero idea how to operate a natural gas cooking stove (especially the oven).
8.) Zero idea how to set the digital alarm clock at a hotel.
9.) Zero idea how to operate the cell phone I purchased six months ago.
10.) Super zero ability to grasp people's verbal communications to me. (While I was away in the wilderness humans learned to speak ultra-high speed.
11.) Zero idea how to deal with customer service on the phone when the company hired non-english fluent people to handle their phone help service.
13.) many modern light switches are beyond my understanding, as was the kitchen faucet where I rented.

Yes, I need a partner. (I recently cause the cashier at grocery store, to scream very loud because she wanted my phone number for inputting so I would get all the discounts for reward points that are somehow contained in an old phone number. I thought she wanted my phone number for a date. The people waiting in line were either rolling in the isle laughing or yelling at me. Some were very-very pissed.

Something else I don't understand. I bought a $15,700.00 ATV. I wanted insurance on it for forest fire, theft, etc. You can't purchase insurance for a ATV that you are only going to use on your farm/ranch/homestead "UNLESS YOU HAVE a CURRENT & VALID ALASKA DRIVERS LICENSE".

Last edited:
I am a commercial pilot, and I am IFR rated. I can take off with zero or near zero visibility. I would have to land in at an airport with instrument landing systems.

Actually, I see just fine, I drive vehicles (but not on the highway) I shoot firearms & have five shooting ranges. I just don't pass the DMV vision test.
well when you need to become mobile to stay alive the DMV will be MIA. but I think that I see your point about not wanting to drive on roads to relocate

Sorry......it is "ZERO" like I am seeking.....ZERO. Hell, I am not even allowed to drive any vehicle, I am blind from macular degeneration.
We're in the same boat dude, I can barely walk anymore, I can't even carry my best rifle to the other side of the property without keeling over. Why I keep prepping, I have no idea. I guess it gives me something to do.

@Sourdough my friend, you, are a philosopher. Perhaps one of the last. I have little to offer, but I am enjoying the conversation immensely. Carry on.
art-guru-sage-hermit-wise_man_of_the_mountain-mountains-CS584661_low.jpg

Do they really allow commercial pilots to be blind enough so that they are legally prevented from driving a car? That surprises me. It terrifies me actually. That is completely insane. IFR be damned.

Do they really allow commercial pilots to be blind enough so that they are legally prevented from driving a car? That surprises me. It terrifies me actually. That is completely insane. IFR be damned.

NO........They don't. You need a Commercial Pilot License & you need a "CURRENT" medical certificate. I could never today pass the medical. However, that does not mean that if the SHTF, I would be handicapped in stealing an aircraft and driving it too someplace. I could even select a good place to crash off the runway environment.

That is not "THINKING" that is choosing.
This is almost like a round of Socrates. Not sure if you’ve ever partaken in such an event purposely.
Yes.....at this point a partnership would be of value to me and her (she must be a God made female, not a medically modified model). I'll tell you something interesting, that is a significant void in my ability to function. It is embarrassing how much of current suburban & deep suburban reality I don't comprehend.

1.) I have zero idea how to operate a dish washing machine.
2..) Zero idea how to program a modern Refrigerator/Freezer.
3.) Zero idea how to operate a keyless door system.
4.) Zero or near zero idea how to use latest credit cards with chips
5.) Zero idea how to do the self check-out at grocery, or get goofy discounts with phone numbers, or pay with cash or credit card .
6.) Zero idea how to pay taxi driver other then with vouchers that I pre-purchase.
7.) Zero idea how to operate a natural gas cooking stove (especially the oven).
8.) Zero idea how to set the digital alarm clock at a hotel.
9.) Zero idea how to operate the cell phone I purchased six months ago.
10.) Super zero ability to grasp people's verbal communications to me. (While I was away in the wilderness humans learned to speak ultra-high speed.
11.) Zero idea how to deal with customer service on the phone when the company hired non-english fluent people to handle their phone help service.
13.) many modern light switches are beyond my understanding, as was the kitchen faucet where I rented.

Yes, I need a partner. (I recently cause the cashier at grocery store, to scream very loud because she wanted my phone number for inputting so I would get all the discounts for reward points that are somehow contained in an old phone number. I thought she wanted my phone number for a date. The people waiting in line were either rolling in the isle laughing or yelling at me. Some were very-very pissed.

Something else I don't understand. I bought a $15,700.00 ATV. I wanted insurance on it for forest fire, theft, etc. You can't purchase insurance for a ATV that you are only going to use on your farm/ranch/homestead "UNLESS YOU HAVE a CURRENT & VALID ALASKA DRIVERS LICENSE".
a quick funny re # 10. Moments ago Hubby was listening to an interview. The guy was speaking so rapidly I told him it sounded like an infomercial.

So far I don’t have any wise answers for you (even though #7 is still cool) 😎

Latest posts

Back