Making cheap fire starters!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i feel you, when nobody comments on a thread, same feels on reddit. unfortunately i cant see the video at work. they block a lot of things, good thing i know how to bypass a few things. ;-)

So, it looks like it makes a pretty good flame. And it looks COMPACT which is nice. A how to video (or simply instructions for me to play around with) would be nice

I loved your video! I really want to know how you make these gems. I was camping this weekend and I had to start the fire yesterday morning. Your contraption would have been a great tool. I used tender and a little fatwood... I really like your set up though.

So, how do you make them?

Oh I do believe I could cook supper on that. Take a dinty moore can, cut both ends off so you have a ring, put some hole around the sides to allow it to draw air and you could set it over the flame and use a small wok with it for soups or stirfrys. Put a little grill over it instead of the wok and have a hunk of meat. Put a saucepan of water on the ring instead and you have coffee, soup, or whatever. Frying pan and you have bacon.

I like this and I'd like to know how it's made.

Well see, you take a frying pan and put it over the flame and lay your bacon strips in flat. Let them cook for a few minutes before turning them over. Keep repeating until they are as crispy as you like them.
4.gif

Very cool. Now I wonder about something. I have access to beeswax and paraffin both, so I'm wondering how well one of those would work being made in something like a tuna can or soup can with a lid to extinguish it between uses or if that would be possible. Not sure how much longer that would give me with burn time, but it would increase 'burner' surface and that could be important when feeding more than one person. What do you think?

Very nice! I'm going to have to play with some cans this weekend and see what I can come up with as well. Don't expect a video though.

Back