Monster catfish

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6493

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
AAy1QHv.img

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...rt-rod-might-set-record/ar-AAy22Mt?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited:
Doubt they’d be good to eat, but yeah. I think my best was about 18 or so, but I don’t like to be near the dams.
The dams are where I’ve always had good luck fishing. Up at lake of the Ozarks I could bring in a 5lb er every fifteen mins or so. I don’t think I ever even got over 8 or 9lbs before. There’s always tomorrow!

My biggest was a 40lb flathead, caught on a trotline.

It was delicious. Very little yellow meat, personally, I think it had been eating only other fish for a long time. Came out of the Rock River a few miles below the Oregon dam.

Oh yeah, as far as landing it, we thought we snagged a sunken tire or something. Very little fight. Just a lot of dead weight pulling it in. Maybe tired?

Thats a Flat Head (yellow) Cat . Very good eating . But it will probably end up at the taxidermy.
I’ve always read that the bigger older fish don’t taste as good as the 1to 3pound ones. I may never know for sure as I’ve given up on catching the ‘big’ one!

In Grand Lake O'The Cherokee in the Ozarks, there are, supposedly, giant channel catfish (near the hydroelectric dam) that get to be about six feet long.

I've seen a living six foot long channel catfish in an aquarium in Ft. Lauderdale at the Museum of Science and Discovery.

And I, also, would have photographed it and turned it loose.

I generally only kill things if I'm going to eat it, if it's a pest (or dangerous), or if I'm performing euthanasia for a suffering animal.

Last edited:
I agree, to a point.

A fish can be too small, so I throw it back.

A monster catfish, though, maybe shouldn't be eaten. The flesh gets nasty and acrid with such large fish, they have more mercury, lead, and pesticides, and the chance of them carrying large amounts of parasites is much greater.

I'd throw him back so he can spread his genes a little more.

No that big Flathead would be very good . Iv caught big Yellows and Blues that made great filets. Role em in corn meal , salt , black pepper . Cat fish are not My favorite I like Walleye , Small mouth Bass , river Drum , striper (rock fish) , Large mouth Bass better than Cat fish but Cat fish is very good done right .

I wouldn’t eat them out of the Tennessee River though.... been lots of advisories about mercury levels lately, especially bass....

I wouldn’t eat them out of the Tennessee River though.... been lots of advisories about mercury levels lately, especially bass....
Thats Nation wide . Its sectioned in reservoirs but who's to say it stays in each lake or goes through the Dam . The Air Force poisoned a very nice lake near hear it has a do not eat Cat Fish warning .

Thats Nation wide . Its sectioned in reservoirs but who's to say it stays in each lake or goes through the Dam . The Air Force poisoned a very nice lake near hear it has a do not eat Cat Fish warning .

I think the worst of it here is downstream from all the plants that dump **** in the river in Decatur.

Hell, in the next county they had to bring in bottled water for a while....

Whenever I go halibut fishing I generally only land them if they're in the 25-50 pound range. Anything larger and they tend to get wormy, and I don't think they taste as good. Maybe it's the same for large catfish?
When I hook a large halibut I cut the line or give the pole to someone else to land. I don't care about catching a trophy.
Last time we went halibut fishing the wife landed a 250 fish. She wanted bragging rights for catching a bigger fish than my record of 150 pounds. Of course she needed help reeling it in.

Latest posts

Back