non electronic games to fight boredom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7704

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As I was preparing for Christmas I was thinking how important it will be to have non-electric games and puzzles on hand in case of power outages, etc. Playing cards, puzzles, games like monopoly, Trivial Pursuit etc will be great to have on hand.

this topic has come up before.when it comes to power outages to bugging out with children..to teaching children in a shtf situation.but yet,this is always a good topic..i've started collecting items for such things.like decks of cards.i have books,crossword puzzle,and other things on my nook.so i have entertainment there.as long as i can keep it charged.we do have board games.in which i need to relocate.i need to start buying paper back books to read.

this topic has come up before.when it comes to power outages to bugging out with children..to teaching children in a shtf situation.but yet,this is always a good topic..i've started collecting items for such things.like decks of cards.i have books,crossword puzzle,and other things on my nook.so i have entertainment there.as long as i can keep it charged.we do have board games.in which i need to relocate.i need to start buying paper back books to read.
I always buy books not e-books. They will be there for years to come. I always think of the book "The Time Machine" where all the books have rotted away to nothing. Can't imagine a world with out books. Thanks for bringing up puzzle books Clyde. My mom does word search so I need to stock up for her. I do crosswords. (The easy ones). Sorry if I repeated a post. I looked, but didn't see it.

my mom loves the variety puzzle books..in which her fav store stopped carrying them,something to do with delivery issues..so she stocks up on them at barnes n noble in tyler when ever we go there..

we normally get them at dollar general..on account we seldom go into the part of town where dollar tree is..and less often when it comes to barnes n noble..

I always buy books not e-books. They will be there for years to come. I always think of the book "The Time Machine" where all the books have rotted away to nothing. Can't imagine a world with out books. Thanks for bringing up puzzle books Clyde. My mom does word search so I need to stock up for her. I do crosswords. (The easy ones). Sorry if I repeated a post. I looked, but didn't see it.

yeah,i figured as much.. stock-vector-a-vector-cute-cartoon-white-happy-face-159955016.jpg

Jim not Clyde

We purchased several coloring books for kids and adult coloring books with several boxes of crayolas and color pencils along with puzzles of various types, checkers, domino's, cards, Uno etc... we have placed in our entertainment tote plus the Wife has one hell of a library in a 15x20 foot room shelving from floor to 12' ceiling covering 3 1/2 walls, anyone gets bored here I can find lots of work outside for them!

There are a TON of games out there beyond your basic boardgames, that most people simply never knew existed. Check out boardgamegeeks.com for example. I could easily list a few of our favorite games, and I'll bet most have never heard of them.

Resistance, Lords of Waterdeep, Elder Signs, Runebound, Descent, Three Dragon Ante, Masterpiece, etc.

Also, some others, that are a bit more common:

Pictionary, Balderdash, Taboo, Risk, Scattergories, etc.

It's actually a good activity we do almost weekly with friends, as it's a good way to socialize, catch up, etc. Usually with a good meal, some drinks, etc. while we play!

Like another above, we're putting together a library of our books too (now, they are pretty much all still packed up in boxes). With a friend who owns a bookstore, we've amassed quite a bit of them over the years.

although we don't have any kids its just the 2 of us, we are surrounded by books, we are both keen readers, my books are mainly prepper and survival related i don't do much fiction although I got the wife to buy me "The man who watched the world die" on Amazon for Christmas!!

I never been much of a book reader (fictional) so my library is quite small though a good number of the wifes library is the turn of the 20th century science/geology then the bigger share deals specific to modern geology while the largest deals with historical fiction (fiction based on historical facts) her newest collection is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (hitorical/sci-fi/romance/fantasy all rolled into one story) most diffidently adult books...... She loves reading and studying the earth. *sigh

yep, the wife is in to geneology-family history and all that. i'm not really into other people, most of my books are factual rather than fiction.

Most of the games I mentioned are meant for teens on up, but are more adult, strategy, resource management, etc. Very involved and complex, but fun too.

I have all of the original D&D 3.5 series of books. As Gazrok may know that's enough gaming for a lifetime.... lol

Yep. (and same here). We've got 2 copies of most from 2nd and 3rd edition, and quite a bit of the stuff that came before. Even a few 4th edition books. Certainly enough material for endless gaming. (and literally HUNDREDS of figures). Once the mancave/gaming room is fleshed out a bit, the figs will be in cases on the walls, so we can finally have them out again.

Latest posts

Back