Okay, let's chew the fat one more time.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Albert

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My first question is What are you going to do about light when the batteries run out? What I am reading is LED's are where it's at. They use a miniscule amount of electricity compared to everything else. How do you harness this to a small solar power source? Does anyone know? I'm thinking those square foot units that everyone is talking about would be all that it would take. That should be sufficient to light at least one community room for an evening.
Next subject: I'm sure you have all read that I'm researching major meds after the fall of our local pharmaceutical industry. But in my online reading this came up: 50% of the World's legal morphine or 230 tons of agricultural development is being done in countries like...Australia! Any of our Aussie buddies want to make a statement on this? I am in no way using this as a judgment platform, I am simply trying to provide meds for my people when our hospitals collapse. And our friends Down Under, if you have the technology would you put it in yours and our First Aid Kits?
Last thought for the night. I'm sure everyone knows I'm a book kind of a guy so I wanted to throw out there that when the SHTF I'd like to take up residence in a library. I don't watch TV or movies and how many do you think, of the bad people would storm such a building? I think me and mine could keep a low profile.
Sleep well folks.

On your first question,my friend,2 years ago we had some bad storms take the power out for 10 days,didn't realize how under prepared we were on lighting (or solar battery charging) and with two kids,I said never again.So we now stock several lighting sources from oil lamps and votive candles to solar lights.I'd say I like the solar lights the best,the lighting is actually pretty dim (to me at least) which is good to keep light low after shtf when needed,yet good enough to see your way around.

I also like the oil lamps for there far better output when things are safe enough to have decent lighting,the downsides are they need oil to keep going,which I store a good bit,even picked some up today,but it won't last forever and when they are not adjusted properly,they can put off carbon monoxide.We also keep and use extra recharable AA batteries with a higher mAh rating for use in devices after the solar lights has recharged them.So if I had to pick one type,it would be solars with extra (and better than the ones they come with) batteries for them.

2nd question,i'll leave for our Aussie friends.Thats an interesting subject that i'd like to here a response on as well.

And I think a library would have a lesser chance of being stormed due to the fact that there isn't many of the supplies in there that the storming type of crowd would be looking for (food,weapons,etc.).But the problem I would fear is that others may look at places like that,or churches,schools,etc.,as safe havens,therefore having the same idea as you.I don't think anyplace is impervious to being stormed by an organized and determined group,but I do think a place like a library would have a lesser chance of being stormed than say a grocery store,gas station,etc.

Based on your first question, In my 9-5 job i have a fair bit to do with Solar power, AGM/Gel Batteries and LED lighting.
The batteries are good for 4-5 years (as stated by the manufacturer) I have seen these last 6-8 years though, with constant use (discharge and recharge) but the shelf life is only actually 1-2 years.
Used with a portable solar kit, this more than enough to run many 12v lights, a 12v radio, 12v water pump etc etc.
The use of LED lights will not only prolong battery life (run time) but it will allow you to run more items from the power source.

As an eg: i have twin globe 12v lights. 2x 10W halogen globes. These use/require 2.9Amps to run. By replacing the globes to an 18SMD LED replacement, they now only pull 0.3amps per double light unit. You can see the saving i have gained over 4 double light units.

So, based on your question in which i probably took the long way around, solar/LED and 12v batteries are a great source of lighting BUT if the situation last more than a few years we will eventually be back to candles, oil lamps and the likes.

Feel free to ask any questions about the above. Happy to help.

-HVP

lighting.....we have 4 oil lamps.....2 lanterns, one is the type that takes the small propane bottle and the other is the type you pour the gas in and have to keep pumping it up.

By in the coming week, we will all be dead and the world ruined, if some doomsday predictors got it right. Might as well just go spend your life savings on all the premium meals you can stand, right? Wrong. You will regret it when you awaken on December 22. Individuals have been saying the world is ending for as long as individuals have walked the Earth. One hundred percent of them have been wrong. Let's look back at a few of those failed prophecies from recent decades. Article source: Financial Advice

Thinking candles will be the way in the long run of things. After all the batteries, kerosene, propane are gone, this is an old art form that has survived the centuries.
Before electric lighting, people used candles to light the way. For most people, the type of candle used was made from tallow, or animal fat.

Just purchased a book on candle making three days ago. Learning to make and sell them. Interesting stuff. Seems like PITA without supplies like wicks. Also all the different types burn at different rates and things can go wrong.

Tallow, or fat from cows and sheep is saved and rendered to used for candles, but they are smoky and smelly. Because of the softness, tallow candles tended to burn with a low light, and they burn quickly. But yet, tallow is readily available. Beeswax is also used to make a candle that burns brightly and with a sweet scent, but it is rare and expensive, if you do not have a direct link to a beehive or bee keeper. Bayberry wax was hard, doesn't drip or run like tallow, and smells good. Since bayberries are widely available, this would seem to be a handy alternative. The problem is that the process is time consuming, and it takes many pounds of berries to make just one candle. With time at a premium, bayberry candles simply aren't practical. In the late 1700's, clear-burning whale oil candles began to replace the tallow candles. This whale oil created something called spermaceti wax, which made harder candles. In the 1850’s, paraffin, a byproduct of petroleum, became the candle-making material of choice, which still is today as far as I know.

another alternative would be to use old cooking oil. put it in a container. then put a small tin cup with cork as a floater with a hole to pass a wick, or use a brace to hold the wick up, you would have an instant lamp.

Attachments

• DDay-Oil Lamp.jpg
    DDay-Oil Lamp.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back