Oven Beef Jerky

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheShadowKnows

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So I saw a cool YouTube on making beef jerky in the oven, and since I don't have a dehydrator I thought I'd give it a try this week. I'm sure some of you have made some jerky before, so I'm curious about your recipes, specifically how long you let the meat marinade first. Going for a teriyaki jerky and already have a basic recipe in mind but don't know how long to let it marinade, and I'd be open to suggestions on the recipe as well.

I have helped make Deer jerky years ago but have'nt made any from start to finish . We dipped some in BB'Q sauce , some in A1 and others in black pepper and cyanne pepper . I'm learning this myself and also going to try some on a back yard camp fire .

Last edited:
I made some in the oven,let the meat marinade for 36 hrs,the drying process took abt 10-11 hrs, temp 122 F - 167 F,
went to 122 after 2 hrs, just remember to keep the oven slightly open with the help of a soupladdle,so you get some air in there.
most difficult for me was to wait,ok I made them for campingtripps,ate them all,sigh..

So I saw a cool YouTube on making beef jerky in the oven, and since I don't have a dehydrator I thought I'd give it a try this week. I'm sure some of you have made some jerky before, so I'm curious about your recipes, specifically how long you let the meat marinade first. Going for a teriyaki jerky and already have a basic recipe in mind but don't know how long to let it marinade, and I'd be open to suggestions on the recipe as well.

Shadow,

you might finding the youtube and cutting it on the thread, would like to see it. Tired of paying Walmart for my jerky!...Thanks and later.

My pleasure. Should've linked it from the start.

Mine is finished and in need of tasting. I didn't follow his recipe, just his technique.

My pleasure. Should've linked it from the start.

Mine is finished and in need of tasting. I didn't follow his recipe, just his technique.

Thanks Shadow, nice and tasty. Going to try it the next time I have a little time.

we have jerky at my local shop but,but, 5 euros,aprox 7 usd for 50grams,me buy meat,make own jerky :D

It's expensive stuff over in the US.

Well my batch turned out pretty well but I learned a few things that the YouTube didn't tell me.

Well, ok, to be fair the guy in the YouTube did use brown sugar in his recipe and I completely forgot to put some in mine. The jerky I made is very... Teriyaki-y. If that makes sense. Could use some more sweet but I'll fix that with the next batch. Also, he's using venison and so there isn't any fat, but if your beef has any large chunks or thick veins of fat, you'll need to remove them as they won't cure properly and get pretty nasty. This only affected two of my pieces, fortunately. (Don't worry about marbling in the beef; that'll dry out fine. It's just larger chunks that need to be trimmed a away first.) Also, he cooks his for 9 hours and mine was done in about 6.

All in all, really not that difficult, just a little time consuming. Best of luck to you all with your attempts; if I get a killer recipe next time I'll be sure to share it with the class :).

Kinda funny I stumble onto this topic now. I'll be making my own beef jerky on the smoker not in the oven (problems with heating and cooling the house and with the oven itself prevent me from working inside) If it goes well I'll post my results, if not I'll try to say what went wrong. Things I noticed already, I paid 10 dollars for 2 pounds of meat, expecting more than 10 dollars of jerky or it won't be worth it :p

Haha, if you get two little bags worth, you've come out on top. The cheapest jerky I've seen in my area is $5 a bag, and that's not the name brand stuff like Jack Links which is more like $7 or $8 a pop. Crazy stuff, when you consider how much fresh food you can get for that much money.

Picked up a package of jerky rub from Cabela's while I was there this morning. Says it's enough for 15 lbs of meat, and that's a lot of jerky!

and even if the first batch might be or felt to be expensive you do it your self and once you get the hang of it you can experiment with dif meat and spices and get something that just you

Precisely. I work at a BBQ joint so I might be able to score some pork loin and turkey breast to try too. I remember really liking turkey jerky as a little one.

think I have something to do when weekend comes aside from my garden

So I just finished my smoking the jerky and it turned out really well for a first time. I'm going to play with the marinade a bit (more pepper and less liquid smoke) things to note: flip it often if you have it laying down. I got about 4 packs of the jack links sized bags worth of jerky. I noticed 2 days ago that instead of buying 2 chunks of that I had bought stir fry meat so it was all already cut up. I made nuggets instead of strips. All in all though it went well. Turned fairly sweet wih a tiny kick at the end. Might try adding some freshly ground pepper instead of the stuff you buy at the store.

Latest posts

Back