Papa's Chili

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
here's one i came across on the internet

Serving Size / Yield

10-12
Ingredients
  • 2-4 lb. ground chuck
  • 4 cans tomato sauce
  • 1 medium can tomato paste
  • 1 large can tomatoes
  • 3-4 Tbs. chili powder
  • 1 large onion
  • 4 cans chili beans
  • 1-2 tsp. hot sauce (I use Texas Pete but any kind will do)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In pan cook meat and onion. Drain grease. Add 1 can tomato sauce and 1 Tbs. chili powder. In large pot add 3 cans tomato sauce, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 Tbs. chili powder and salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat. Add 4 cans chili beans and the meat and onion mixture you cooked in the beginning. You can add more chili powder and hot sauce to your taste. Let simmer on low heat 2-5 hours. The longer it cooks the better it is I think.

Similar to my recipe, but I always use venison instead of beef.

Next time I make up a batch I'll try to record how much of what I put in it. It's different every time because I'm always improvising. When I can find it, poblano pepper powder (AKA ancho chile) is the main seasoning instead chili powder, along with red habanero sauce, and red curry powder. If I can't find it, I use chili powder.

It's definately chili weather! Anyone else ever throw in spaghetti noodles? I guess it's a Kentucky thing. Just makes it a little heartier.

It's definately chili weather! Anyone else ever throw in spaghetti noodles? I guess it's a Kentucky thing. Just makes it a little heartier.
Never heard to the spaghetti noodle thing. We do put rice in ours though, which is something I had never heard of doing until I hit my college days, but then both my parents were Yankee ;). . . When I worked Bible School, the pastor would feed the workers each night and when he made chili he brought potato salad to put in it so o o o o each to there own, but I'll stick to my rice.

We eat chili over rice. If you knew how spicy my chili is, you would understand...:D
I think that's the idea of pasta or rice, it tones it down a little, and makes it heartier. I always say, don't knock it till you try it.

We use 5 cans medium hot chillie beans 1 can dark red kidney beans 2lbs ground beef 2 packs MCormicks original chili mix 1 can diced tomatoes 1cup water . Heat medium low heat to slow boil simmer around 20 miniutes . I'v seen some folks put macaroni pasta in chili , I don't but its ok kind of like a spicy soup.

Last edited:
That cult that changes the words in the Bible pulled up trying to pawn off their pamplets while I was typing the above . I was polite and declined , glad my dog wasn't out .

im usually busy doing something when folks like that show up..i had my 22 revolver on my belt the last time that happened.i simply told them,im to busy to talk with them..then i turned around and walked away..

I once got into making serious competition style chilis - there's a website - international chili society, iirc.

No matter how well I followed the recipes, I always found them to be "meh". It's the ones like in the OP that take the cake. Dump on some sour cream, shredded chedder, and a few corn chips and I'm in heaven.

This is what I use

2 lbs - "Chili Grind" Beef Chuck Roast
1 tablespoon Bacon Grease

Bag #1
3 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tsp - cayenne pepper

Bag #2
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano powder
pinch basil
1/2 teaspoon MSG (Optional

1 can chicken broth
1 can beef broth
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 beef bullion cube

1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
2 can diced chili style tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 cans pinto beans, drained
2 cans chili beans

Heat bacon grease in cooking pot until very hot (smoking). Add meat and cook until done and starts to makes it's own juice. Stir continuously; add both cans of broth, and 1/2 of Bag #1. Cook covered at a medium boil for 45 minutes. Uncover and stir every 10 minutes. Add water as needed. After 45 minutes, add the rest of Bag #1. Add tomato sauce and add Bag #2. Add 1 beef bullion cube. Add 1/2 tsp light brown sugar. Add diced tomatoes and beans. Cook until heated through. Serve with rice

Latest posts

Back