People!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirtgunsquirter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
LOL

So I am downsizing a bunch of my stuff, to have less stuff and finance a few nicer things. I posted an ad on craigslist for a Zebco Bullet reel. It's brand new, it didn't fit well on the rod I bought it for and I don't feel like buying another rod, so, I figure I will sell it. So I post it, and at a really good price.

What is wrong with people? Guy texts me, asks if I will take way less than I'm asking. I'm like, ok sure. Then he texts from a different number asking if I will take less than that. These texts are immediately one after the other, it is clearly the same guy on his wifes phone or something. I say, no this is the lowest I will go. Then he starts asking stuff that is clearly stated in the ad and I don't feel like wasting my time for that price, so I politely say I'm no longer interested in the deal, because it is just getting weird.

Now he is sending threatening texts! From both numbers lol. I mean, why? Really?

The latest, after a few where I haven't even replied, is that he will be over to collect the fishing reel at his lowest offered price. Apparently whether I like that price or not.

How he will find me I have no idea, the ad just shows me in Madison, not the actual address.

Is there a way by your phone number? Or your I'd #? Sounds like this guy can't take a no for an answer. . .

Hunny is trying to sell his skid steer. . . two guys stop in and ask how much. It is very reasonably priced but guys wanted to do a trade. Said they would patch a couple holes in the drive. I don't think so buddy.:rolleyes:

I don't see how he would actually find me, if he is really going to, which I doubt. All over a fishing reel? I wont go into all the texts, but the ones I liked best:

(me) Actually never mind, I will pass thanks. (This after getting like 5 texts all at once from two numbers. asking stupid stuff, and a stupid offer on price)

(him) No what? So now you don't want to sell?

(him) not selling now?

(him) I can come there. I still want to buy. Answer

(different number) if you don't want to sell don't put ad

(him, after about 10 minutes) *******

(different number) *******

(first number) I will buy for 35 I will be there at 7

Hahaha I got about an hour left I guess.

There are a lot of *******s in the world. The internet allows people to behave larger than life with annominity. I’m sure this guy is probably some nerdy kid that would never have the balls to say anything face to face, but feels emboldened with the distance of texting. I would have replied that yes it is still for sale, just not to you.

Is there a way by your phone number? Or your I'd #? Sounds like this guy can't take a no for an answer. . .

Hunny is trying to sell his skid steer. . . two guys stop in and ask how much. It is very reasonably priced but guys wanted to do a trade. Said they would patch a couple holes in the drive. I don't think so buddy.:rolleyes:
I’m usually good with trades, but only if it’s for something I want. My usual answer is what else do you have to offer?

This is the first time I've had a problem on craigslist. I would assume drunk, but he was texting pretty well.

I'm not worried. I just thought it was weird how it escalated.
I’ve bought and sold quite a bit with craigslist over the years. It does seem that there are more and more scams on it now though. Usually it isn’t too hard to spot the cons as most of these people aren’t too smart. I have no problem with someone asking for a better deal, but if they don’t listen to my answer and keep trying then I’m done with them. I also don’t want help selling my stuff nor expect to find a ten thousand dollar item for 400.00. Meeting in public spaces to do transactions is always a smart move too.

I don't use craigslist but wife and kids do, they will meet at the police station as close as they could to the station cameras, she would tell them upfront it's at the police station, generally if not a legit deal the seller or buyer will back out. The wife and kids had positive responses about meeting at the police station from both buyers and sellers, even Law Enforcement thought it was a good idea and they are thinking of making a designated area for these online sales with good camera coverage.

This reminds of a story a friend had. He trains hunting dogs, typically sells them for $3-5k.

A few years ago a guy call & comes over. He likes this one dog, gets my buddy down to $2.5k, but really only is at $2k, so still a $500 difference. He tells my buddy to think about it & he'll be back the next day. The next day the guy shows up, & my buddy tells him he thought about it & put a lot of training into the dog and the price was firm at $3k. The buyer wasn't happy, but he paid the $3k.

LOL

So I am downsizing a bunch of my stuff, to have less stuff and finance a few nicer things. I posted an ad on craigslist for a Zebco Bullet reel. It's brand new, it didn't fit well on the rod I bought it for and I don't feel like buying another rod, so, I figure I will sell it. So I post it, and at a really good price.

What is wrong with people? Guy texts me, asks if I will take way less than I'm asking. I'm like, ok sure. Then he texts from a different number asking if I will take less than that. These texts are immediately one after the other, it is clearly the same guy on his wifes phone or something. I say, no this is the lowest I will go. Then he starts asking stuff that is clearly stated in the ad and I don't feel like wasting my time for that price, so I politely say I'm no longer interested in the deal, because it is just getting weird.

Now he is sending threatening texts! From both numbers lol. I mean, why? Really?

The latest, after a few where I haven't even replied, is that he will be over to collect the fishing reel at his lowest offered price. Apparently whether I like that price or not.

How he will find me I have no idea, the ad just shows me in Madison, not the actual address.
I think Craig’s list is full of weirdos .

I don't use craigslist but wife and kids do, they will meet at the police station as close as they could to the station cameras, she would tell them upfront it's at the police station, generally if not a legit deal the seller or buyer will back out. The wife and kids had positive responses about meeting at the police station from both buyers and sellers, even Law Enforcement thought it was a good idea and they are thinking of making a designated area for these online sales with good camera coverage.
Great idea. If someone gives any sign of hesitation of meeting near the police then you should have hesitation about meeting them. A while back a couple was killed here in Ga going to look at a classic muscle car. I don’t even think there was a real car, just a scam that ended very bad.

I've bought and sold stuff through Craigslist quite a few times without ever having a problem. Of course there is always someone trying to pull a scam, but they are easy to spot. The last thing I bought on Craigslist was a jet boat last summer. The guy lived about 150 miles away so we agreed to meet at a lake that was about half way between us. I drove the boat, agreed on a price, paid cash and we were both on our way in about an hour.

Latest posts

Back