Prickly Pear Jelly

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillo1

New Friend
Neighbor
Prickly pear jelly. I used a recipe off the internet instead of waiting for my friend to get home to send her recipe. Started out ok.
Then I added pectin ,lemon juice, sugar. Boiled and put in jar. Several hours later it decided it still wanted to be syrup. Round 2 used 2 packages of Surejell. Very jelled. Round 3 used 9 tablespoons of powdered pectin which is equal to 1.5 packages of Surejell. So the final recipe is:

I singe the stickers off with a propane torch. Quarter the "apples" and put them in a pot and almost cover with water. I started with 8 lbs 4 oz of raw fruit. Cook until soft then mash. Drain into another container through cheesecloth. I squeezed it to get all the juice out. I ended up with 18 cups of liquid. It is kinda slimy, but that's normal.
Ingredients:
4 C. juice 9 Tbl. powdered pectin (I used Ball)
4 C. sugar 1/2 C. Lemon juice 1 tsp. butter
Add pectin slowly to juice and bring to a rolling boil.
Add lemon juice, butter and sugar slowly while still on heat.
Bring again to a rolling boil and boil one minute.
The butter is supposed to eliminate "scum" on the top, but what I have found is that it will make it clump together better so it is easy to skim off.
Ladle the jelly into hot sterilized jars and process in a water bath canner. Ball Blue Book says 10 min after water comes to rolling boil at 1000 feet or less of altitude.
I will try to post pictures, but am still figuring out how to do that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back