Rabbits - to sell or put in my freezer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been raising rabbits for several years now...this year I had an "abundance" and decided to sell some...after several transactions...I am now so reluctant to sell another rabbit to anyone! I have to do something with all these rabbits, though. I grew up watching the slaughtering process and have actually participated in the packaging end.

Waking up to reality, I do not own a decent knife, have never killed anything other than a few bugs, and hubby has already named them all...this is starting to kind of freak me out. I started with four, and on purpose grew that into 13...couple of them make a worm bed for me, several are in "tractors" that "float" around the yard depositing their gold, and then several of them I collect the poop and make container dirt...13 works best for the job I use them for. Well, they are just mixed breed rabbits, not really meat rabbits. The eating end was a thought when I purchased them originally but I really just wanted their poop!

I need some advice about several things. I was a pretty good softball pitcher in high school, can a knife be "interchangeable" for slaughter and throwing? I will shoot a gun and can but have an aversion to loud noises and would really like to learn/practice with the right equipment and learn how to not only do all the slaughtering but throwing.

I want to start with one...I have several picked out...with them in wire cages off the ground, is there any advice about what time of year, preferred methods of slaughter, preservation methods for the hide. I plan on keeping and using the hides for various craft projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have been raising rabbits for several years now...this year I had an "abundance" and decided to sell some...after several transactions...I am now so reluctant to sell another rabbit to anyone! I have to do something with all these rabbits, though. I grew up watching the slaughtering process and have actually participated in the packaging end.

Waking up to reality, I do not own a decent knife, have never killed anything other than a few bugs, and hubby has already named them all...this is starting to kind of freak me out. I started with four, and on purpose grew that into 13...couple of them make a worm bed for me, several are in "tractors" that "float" around the yard depositing their gold, and then several of them I collect the poop and make container dirt...13 works best for the job I use them for. Well, they are just mixed breed rabbits, not really meat rabbits. The eating end was a thought when I purchased them originally but I really just wanted their poop!

I need some advice about several things. I was a pretty good softball pitcher in high school, can a knife be "interchangeable" for slaughter and throwing? I will shoot a gun and can but have an aversion to loud noises and would really like to learn/practice with the right equipment and learn how to not only do all the slaughtering but throwing.

I want to start with one...I have several picked out...with them in wire cages off the ground, is there any advice about what time of year, preferred methods of slaughter, preservation methods for the hide. I plan on keeping and using the hides for various craft projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hey ginger, I started with rabbits almost a year ago. I got three new zeland whites, large white ones with red eyes. Breeding wasn't difficult, they pretty much new what to do! It is amazing how quick they multiply. I had never cleaned an animal, other than fish before either. It was a little disturbing as they are really cute little buggars, but wasn't too bad. I watched several utube videos before attempting mine. I ended up hanging them upside down, tying rope to their back feet, and skinning them that way. As far as 'taking them out', I didn't have the stomache to do it by hand, so took a pellet gun and put them in a cage on the ground away from the others. I'll try to post a video for you as I have eight more to clean this week sometime. My biggest problem now is I took a pet rabbit from my som and cross bred them, creating the most beautiful multicolored critters youve ever seen. Dosen't help much with feeling good about yourself! So far I have just been freezing the pelts in baggies, but have enough now that it's time to learn something about tanning. I'll post how that goes as well. The droppings really do make a difference in the garden. I just scoop up dozens of worms with it and throw it all in the garden. I haven't figured out how to fry rabbit yet. It turns out rubbery each try. If you slow cook it for a couple hrs it turns out tender and juicy. Maybey if you pre cook it and then try frying? Gotta go to work now but will try to post the cleaning videop this week.

Rabbits are about the easiest thing to skin and clean there is. The skin is so loose, you don't really need a knife to skin them, just to cut through the skin to get started. A sharp kitchen paring knife or pocket knife will do. Kitchen shears may be even better than a knife for cutting through the skin although you might need to cut a small slit with the knife to get started. The only hard part is keeping fur off the meat.

Cut around the middle (kitchen shears are great for this) and pull the two halves of skin apart, then cut off the feet and head with the skin still attached. The skin will probably pull right off the tail, but if not you can snip it off with skin attached. Snip off the feet with the shears. Cut around the neck down to the vertebra with the knife, making sure to cut through the tendons, then you can twist off the head. Cut around the anus and and genitals, then you make a slit up the abdomen from the anus to the ribcage and pull everything out. It sounds simple because it is...

Last edited:
Rabbits are about the easiest thing to skin and clean there is. The skin is so loose, you don't really need a knife to skin them, just to cut through the skin to get started. A sharp kitchen paring knife or pocket knife will do. Kitchen shears may be even better than a knife for cutting through the skin although you might need to cut a small slit with the knife to get started. The only hard part is keeping fur off the meat.

Cut around the middle (kitchen shears are great for this) and pull the two halves of skin apart, then cut off the feet and head with the skin still attached. The skin will probably pull right off the tail, but if not you can snip it off with skin attached. Snip off the feet with the shears. Cut around the neck down to the vertebra with the knife, making sure to cut through the tendons, then you can twist off the head. Cut around the anus and and genitals, then you make a slit up the abdomen from the anus to the ribcage and pull everything out. It sounds simple because it is...
DrHenley is right, it's easy. I did fine on my first rabbit, and had never cleaned anything before other than fish. The skin pulls off easily, just like peeling off a tight t shirt. The hardest part is getting over how cute they are!

Hey ginger, I started with rabbits almost a year ago. I got three new zeland whites, large white ones with red eyes. Breeding wasn't difficult, they pretty much new what to do! It is amazing how quick they multiply. I had never cleaned an animal, other than fish before either. It was a little disturbing as they are really cute little buggars, but wasn't too bad. I watched several utube videos before attempting mine. I ended up hanging them upside down, tying rope to their back feet, and skinning them that way. As far as 'taking them out', I didn't have the stomache to do it by hand, so took a pellet gun and put them in a cage on the ground away from the others. I'll try to post a video for you as I have eight more to clean this week sometime. My biggest problem now is I took a pet rabbit from my som and cross bred them, creating the most beautiful multicolored critters youve ever seen. Dosen't help much with feeling good about yourself! So far I have just been freezing the pelts in baggies, but have enough now that it's time to learn something about tanning. I'll post how that goes as well. The droppings really do make a difference in the garden. I just scoop up dozens of worms with it and throw it all in the garden. I haven't figured out how to fry rabbit yet. It turns out rubbery each try. If you slow cook it for a couple hrs it turns out tender and juicy. Maybey if you pre cook it and then try frying? Gotta go to work now but will try to post the cleaning videop this week.

Thank you! I have been watching this fella and reading his books...Joel Salatin with Polyface Farms...they do grass fed beef, chickens, pork and rabbits. I found a couple youtube videos last night on their rabbit operation, was too tired to watch but will follow up. And, yes, I would appreciate any videos, etc. I wasn't sure about the timing, I remember as a kid and the boys hunting, always after first good frost because of some parasite or something...the wools?...ah, so many new things to learn! Mine do have a "play pen" on the ground that they occasionally get to "hang out" in...right now it is being used as a grow out pen, but they spend most of their time off the ground in wire cages. Some are stationary, some not...I would post some pictures but for the life of me I cannot figure out how! (Argh! How fast you forget some things when you don't do them all the time!) I already have a couple grumpy adults that I have in mind to slaughter! And, I have a neighbor who processes wild game and preserves hides and he has agreed to help! Which is an absolute blessing! Worms! Yes! I am now pulling worms as fat as my thumb and as long as my hand! Grandson has had a blast fishing this year! Thank you and more to come!

These guys hit the nail on the head!

The only thing I would add that I didn't see covered was the knife... I would not recommend using a throwing knife for cleaning game. Can it be done? Sure, but it's far from ideal. Small knives work better. Fixed blades are great as opposed to folders because they are easier to clean and are more "Sterile". If you can get a small skinner, they aren't expensive and will make the beginning cuts easy. Or, as mentioned, kitchen snips work like a charm.

Best of luck, and good eatin'.

These guys hit the nail on the head!

The only thing I would add that I didn't see covered was the knife... I would not recommend using a throwing knife for cleaning game. Can it be done? Sure, but it's far from ideal. Small knives work better. Fixed blades are great as opposed to folders because they are easier to clean and are more "Sterile". If you can get a small skinner, they aren't expensive and will make the beginning cuts easy. Or, as mentioned, kitchen snips work like a charm.

Best of luck, and good eatin'.
The most important thing about the knife is dont stick it in yourself! My very first rabbit, had the knife freshly sharpened, pinched some fur and thrust the knife right through it into my finger! I guess i was expecting some resistance but it went thru like warm butter. I bled like a stuck pig and had to change the bandage and several gloves while i finished up the other seven rabbits. I guess that rabbit wanted revenge. I agree a small knife is easier to handle and much easier to clean with a fixed blade. I don't think I would go out and buy a special knife, just work with what you have around.

Thank you! I have been watching this fella and reading his books...Joel Salatin with Polyface Farms...they do grass fed beef, chickens, pork and rabbits. I found a couple youtube videos last night on their rabbit operation, was too tired to watch but will follow up. And, yes, I would appreciate any videos, etc. I wasn't sure about the timing, I remember as a kid and the boys hunting, always after first good frost because of some parasite or something...the wools?...ah, so many new things to learn! Mine do have a "play pen" on the ground that they occasionally get to "hang out" in...right now it is being used as a grow out pen, but they spend most of their time off the ground in wire cages. Some are stationary, some not...I would post some pictures but for the life of me I cannot figure out how! (Argh! How fast you forget some things when you don't do them all the time!) I already have a couple grumpy adults that I have in mind to slaughter! And, I have a neighbor who processes wild game and preserves hides and he has agreed to help! Which is an absolute blessing! Worms! Yes! I am now pulling worms as fat as my thumb and as long as my hand! Grandson has had a blast fishing this year! Thank you and more to come!
Ive read that rabbits on the ground are more prone to parisites and ailements. Mine are in cages with wire bottoms. They are portable but I leave them in one shady spot to help keep them cool. I may move them to the garden this fall/winter. I've also read that they are best to clean at 10 to 12 weeks as they are more tender. I have eight that need to go soon, but will probably do this saturday when I have more time.

No doubt you don't want to stab yourself, I also find that short blades keep you from puncturing internals. You hit a bladder, and you'll only do it once. Nasty... I actually like using a paring knife for small things. I have one from my dad that has a very thick and strong blade. It compromises it's ability as a paring knife, but it makes it a little better for some other uses.

Thank you! Will purchase the roach belly...looks very practical for me. I have not had a chance to read thru your posts yet...and, of course, this raises a thousand other questions...such as sharpening, etc. So, I will read first and ask more later! The video...thanks for that, too. I do have a question there, I am a softball pitcher so I pitch underhanded...is there such a thing as underhanded throwing and do you have a favorite technique?

20131001_084452.jpg
My first picture upload...not sure I know what I am doing yet, but this is one of my first rabbit tractors.

Latest posts

Back