Return of the Battleship... maybe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Things are switching gears, CWII (not that it really ended the first time) - the new-old is back in. With NORAD returning to Cheyenne mountain, the only thing missing now is the return of SAC

Being negotiated at the moment;
The return of the Iowa-class Battleships, reactivating all 4 includes modernization
The return of the B-52 Stratofortress to Fairchild air force base

This is already in process;
Cancelling the Zumwalt-class destroyer keeping only 3
Returning the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer with modernization
Adding another Carrier strike group for a total of 12
Cancelling the retirement of some of the Aegis cruisers
Decommissioning of planed ICBMs have been cancelled
Reverting back to the SLBM in the Trident subs that changed over to cruise missiles a few years back

Hmmm looks like you guys are getting ready for war again.

I think with russia and china navies being expanded on and russia flaunting its nuclear arsenal, I believe we are only adjusting our needs according to threat. Our Navy was geared more towards sea to land targets after the fall of the soviet union, for the most part, we are just answering russia messaging with our own.

Hmmm looks like you guys are getting ready for war again.

More like the "break" in the Cold War is over...

The Arleigh Burke and Aegis are an integral part of our missile defense system, so this doesn't surprise me.

Always been a pretty solid tank. While innovation is great, sometimes, tried and true is simply more cost effective. 22 million euros is a steal for 100 of these if you look at unit cost.

The thing that worries me a tad bit are the 1000+ russian T90 loaded up with 9m119 refleks, without a good crew the Leopard 2 would be a setting duck including the Abrams, even with the slower rate of fire and engine reliability I'm not sure the the L2 would stand it's ground against the T90.

The Leopard was from the 70's, the T90 from the 90's, so no, head to head, no real contest here.
Not to mention, there's a damn good chance some of those T90s are armed with EMT-7 EMP generators, as well as other countermeasures.

I'm not so sure the T90 would do nearly so well against the Abrams though, at least not the modernized ones with the DU armor, etc. We've got at least 1000 M1A2SEP's by this point. (including the upgraded older models).

The Leopard was from the 70's, the T90 from the 90's, so no, head to head, no real contest here.
Not to mention, there's a damn good chance some of those T90s are armed with EMT-7 EMP generators, as well as other countermeasures.

I'm not so sure the T90 would do nearly so well against the Abrams though, at least not the modernized ones with the DU armor, etc. We've got at least 1000 M1A2SEP's by this point. (including the upgraded older models).

The one thing the L2 and the Abrams SEP certainly has in it's favor is long range accuracy given the T90 LR accuracy isn't good at all even with the upgrade, with a good crew the L2 can play hell against the T90 given the L2 gun and firing system is the best, the Abrams SEP is one hell of an upgrade now if they just update the gun to the L2 ;)

Leapord and Abrams from current testing and intel are the top 2 tanks in the World . Don't forget about all the hype about the T72 when every one feared it .

The T90 is built from the T72, and carried over the same fatal flaw in it's loading system being in the main compartment, the same for china's best tank, some things one shouldn't copy :)

they halted the makeing of T-90's,their planning a new concept for their armoured vechiles/tanks they call it the armata universal combat platform, same chassis for tanks etc..

With the A110's record in the Iraq war's wonder why so many want to get rid of the Warthog . I know the Apache can do the same thing but the Hog seems to do it better .

seems like russkies are REALLY planning for something nasty,but they seem to be doing it in a hurry...do you get good stuff when you do it in a hurry???
so noooooooooooooot ;)

there are so many things I'd love to have and that HOG is one of them,and a Bradley M3,does Santa take wishes already????

there seems to be a vid about the T14 armata on military.com,doesn't look bad at all,turret got some resemblance of the Israeli Merkava main battle tank

Right, I meant the non-upgraded Leopards, not the L2, head to head.

I like to see where they are going with this, very interesting!

Into the poorhouse, if the US keeps thwarting their natural gas pipeline efforts and drives oil prices down again.
Putin's going to have to figure out exactly what he can upgrade and what he can't despite the wishlist.

The Russians have a lot of know-how, but usually tend to favor quantity instead. Heck, the Russians actually came up with stealth...we just saw the application of it sooner than they did, but the math was all based on a Russian mathematician's info.

The Leopard 2 was voted the worlds best tank about 2 years ago by a US made TV documentary about the top ten tanks.

The L2 still has the best gun and target positioning of any MBT built to date, and on a side note the Abrams L44 guns are interchangeable with the L2 L55 guns, the Abrams with the advance packaging with the L55 gun would would make it the best MBT in the field, why we don't update our guns is beyond me, Its fun to compare though with all that is said, there really is only two modern MBT that are battle tested, the Abrams and the T72. In the mid 70s the US was going to adopt the L2 as it's MBT but Germany dropped the ball by not fielding it quick enough for review so Chrysler got the order. Within 5yrs all Abrams will have the enhanced package surpassing the L2 in armor protection with a few additional features not released to the public.

Right, I meant the non-upgraded Leopards, not the L2, head to head.

Into the poorhouse, if the US keeps thwarting their natural gas pipeline efforts and drives oil prices down again.
Putin's going to have to figure out exactly what he can upgrade and what he can't despite the wishlist.

The Russians have a lot of know-how, but usually tend to favor quantity instead. Heck, the Russians actually came up with stealth...we just saw the application of it sooner than they did, but the math was all based on a Russian mathematician's info.
that's the russkie way,quantity over quality,sometimes they find a pearl in quantity too...
but last days Medvedev has been on russian tv speaking about their crap economy,he seems to be the bringer of bad news..not that megalomaniac, so the cash flow isn't that good in the future...

Last edited:
Dust off the Old Lend Lease program, add one well used Battleship with one of the turrets to house a vertical launch system, modify the rear helicopter bay with a mobile Patriots system...house part of a mothballed AEGIS system and then float the entire platform with a well trained crew with an added detachment of Philippine Marines right into one of the adjoining reefs and call it an island...the Chinese can do it, so why can't the Philippines. I'd love to be the fly on the wall, when the Chinese diplomat at the U.N. starts complaining.

Latest posts

Back