rod n reels and fishing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
mahoganyeclipse asked about fishing rod in shoutbox..and i figured id start this topic..i always had a shakespeare fishing rods since i switched over from zebco..right now i have a competitor rod n reel..it has turned out to be a good one..anyone have a prefrence in rod n reels?

p.s. are there areas where you dont need a fishing license in the state you live in?
and if so,where at?

Shimano rods and reels for me ...grew up with Zebco 808 s...............never had much trouble with either............ I don't think you need a license in state parks ( esp. if you're a resident of that state ). The entrance fee includes fishing permit. Correct me if i'm wrong.

where im located in texas.the intrance fee is all there is.and its normally 2 or 3 dollors.

as far as hooks go..that depends on what your fishing for..might talk with the sales person on which hooks float sinkers to go with..cause you not only have hooks to thnk of.but you also have lures to think of..and chances are,the fishing will be diffrent in utah then here in texas..

Shimano rods and reels for me ...grew up with Zebco 808 s...............never had much trouble with either............ I don't think you need a license in state parks ( esp. if you're a resident of that state ). The entrance fee includes fishing permit. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Shimano rods and reels for me too, my favorite rod is the Cumura paired with a Curado reel my wife bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago but for the money you can't beat a Shimano Sellus rod paired with a Caenan reel.

Thanks jimLE! :D Also, what about hooks and line?

I really like Cajun Red Lightnin line, Sufux also makes some good line, for hooks I usually use Gamakatsu.

Thanks Wildman! I think Ill go w/ the open reel for now. :)

Shimano makes excellent open face reels also, I have a Shimano speedmaster that served me well for 25 years it broke my hart when it finally wore out last year, but I very pleased with the Shimano Spirex that I bought to replace it with. I know I sound like a Shimano sales man but when I find a brand that works I stick with it and Shimano has never let me down.

So what kinda price tag we talkin here Wildman? ;)

A Sellus rod will run you about $40 and a Spirex reel is about $60, but if you look around this time of year you can find them cheeper most sporting goods stores are putting the fishing gear on sale to make room for hunting season Shimano also makes less expensive rods and reels also I recently bought a Shimano rod and reel combo for my grand daughter at Kmart for $25 it was open face. like this one..

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Zieda...keywords=shimano+spinning+rod+and+reel+combos

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back