Stay warm in the cold. Feuerzangenbowle. Receipt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marv.Schmitz87

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Oh man, Feuerzangenbowle is the real deal. Its so good and traditional german. Everytime i came over to my wifes family in the states they were begging me to make some. IT is amazing, looks super cool and gets you hammered really fast if you are not carefull. lol.

Here’s how to make it:

Ingredients:

3 bottles of red wine (2-3 liters total)

2 cinnamon sticks

cardamom

allspice

1-2 oranges

1-2 lemons

5 cloves

1 German sugar loaf*

1 bottle of rum

Instructions:

In a large pot or kettle filled with red wine, add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, and allspice. Cut up the oranges and lemons, crush fruit to release the juice, and add to the punch along with the cloves. Warm to a steaming mixture. Do not boil!

Place a German sugar loaf (Zuckerhut)* on a metal rack/screen or clamped in metal tongs above the warm punch. Slowly pour high-proof rum over the sugar loaf or sugar cubes and let it soak for a minute. Carefully light the sugar loaf and let the flaming sugar caramelize and drip into the punch mix. Add as much rum as is needed to keep the flame going until all the sugar is gone. Make sure you switch off the lights during this process to enjoy the blue flames. Serve the punch hot in mugs or hot-tea glasses.

*A German sugar cone or sugar loaf (lit. "sugar hat") is made of compressed refined sugar in a cone shape. If you can't get the real thing, substitute with sugar cubes for the recipe above.

Silvester_Feuerzangenbowle_dpa (1).jpg
Silvester_Feuerzangenbowle_dpa (1).jpg
feuerzangenbowle-am-feuer.jpg

Latest posts

Back