The most spectacular meteor shower of the year is going to be extra special tonight — here's how to

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
The most spectacular meteor shower of the year is going to be extra special tonight — here's how to watch

The Perseids, the most-watched meteor shower of the year, is happening right now.

As our planet spins through the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet, tiny grain-of-rice-size bits of debris smack into our atmosphere and burn up, sizzling through the sky like shooting stars.

The meteor shower runs from July 17 until August 24 this year and will reach its peak in the evening hours of August 11.

And this year, a strange effect of the most massive planet in our solar system will make the Perseids twice as good.

"Forecasters are predicting a Perseid outburst this year with double normal rates on the night of Aug. 11-12," Bill Cooke, with NASA's Meteoroid Environments Office, said in a press release. "Under perfect conditions, rates could soar to 200 meteors per hour."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/most-spectacular-meteor-shower-going-150000170.html

The most spectacular meteor shower of the year is going to be extra special tonight — here's how to watch

The Perseids, the most-watched meteor shower of the year, is happening right now.

As our planet spins through the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet, tiny grain-of-rice-size bits of debris smack into our atmosphere and burn up, sizzling through the sky like shooting stars.

The meteor shower runs from July 17 until August 24 this year and will reach its peak in the evening hours of August 11.

And this year, a strange effect of the most massive planet in our solar system will make the Perseids twice as good.

"Forecasters are predicting a Perseid outburst this year with double normal rates on the night of Aug. 11-12," Bill Cooke, with NASA's Meteoroid Environments Office, said in a press release. "Under perfect conditions, rates could soar to 200 meteors per hour."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/most-spectacular-meteor-shower-going-150000170.html
I get up early and relax in the hot tub every morning with a cup of coffee, usually an hour or so before the sun comes up. The presieds are normally pretty good, but I haven't seen much this year. The south east has been covered with clouds for a few days too. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes. It's funny, sometimes when they predict them I don't see any, and some normal mornings I'll see ten or so.

Damn, another cloudy morning....

yeah.we went out,just before 1 am.mostly cloudy.and all we saw was stars and 2 or 3 lights from small air craft.

yeah.we went out,just before 1 am.mostly cloudy.and all we saw was stars and 2 or 3 lights from small air craft.
They say tonight should be the best night here. I'll give it a try. Sat night will be ok as well for viewing. Just don't know if we'll get a break from the cloud cover or not.

Well, I couldn't sleep tonight so I went out for half an hour to see. In that whole time I saw one, yes one lonely meteor. I see more than that on regular mornings! Oh well, maybe next year.

I went out Saturday night and looked for this Spectacular meteor shower. Saw one pathetic little falling star. I hope the "experts" don't get paid by the tax payers to make these predictions.

well.at least you've gotten to see one..we've been having mostly to complete cloud cover,and a bright half moon.i aint even come close to seeing one.
Clear sky's and lots of stars are something that we have lots of here. Haven't had a drop of rain in over 6 weeks now. And still no meteor shower.

Latest posts

Back