The Wolfsbane/Devil's Helmet (poisonous plant)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
"The roots are its most poisonous part. If ingested, the toxicity acts quickly. "It tends to cause violent vomiting and diarrhoea - then death follows fairly quickly from heart failure"

"gardener dead after handling highly poisonous plant September 7th"
"In 2004, Canadian actor Andre Noble died after accidentally eating some on a hike"

Who, what, why: How dangerous is Devil's Helmet?
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29949275

deadly.jpg

that could be handy to have in strategic locations for possible threats after the shtf happens.and have some in a green house seprate from other plants.and where they wont end up in the wrong hands by nistake..

Good source of ready poison, but acts a bit too quickly for my purposes. If I have to leave my home and poison some supplies, I want a slower acting poison (so it is consumed by more of the bandits, and circumvents clever bandits who may use a taster).... That way, when I come back to reclaim my home, a lot less (living) bandits to deal with.

good point gaz..but yet,i figure enough ppl wont think of the taste test to make a difference.and what if 2 or 3 try it with out the others knowing it?thats 2 or 3 less worries..plus the others probably wont know what killed them..even if they rub against it or what ever.is liable to at least slow them down..in which that makes them a easyer target..

To my knowledge, just rubbing against it isn't really bad at all in most cases (though I'd still recommend wearing gloves when dealing with it). You can even eat the flowers, and just get pretty sick (so, still not a good idea to eat it!). The real bad poison is in the root, if I recall.

Not going to state all the details here, but basically, the poison I'd be using in the "turn and burn" scenario, where we face a force that is too large and organized (so fighting is out), is a bit different, and for a reason.

Let's just say:

A person can ingest (censored) and not feel any symptoms for twelve to twenty-four hours, which is much too late to save them. In order to survive, a victim must be treated within two hours of ingestion.

Good luck!

I have the perfect delivery mechanism for it (which will certainly be ingested first), which should ensure we could return to the house after a couple of days hiding out, and then basically clean up the dead bandits. Of course, there is always the chance they ransack, burn, etc. the place first, but then, that's already a risk. This is simply a "last resort" option.

While not every group will come up with the taste-tester idea, I have to think a clever bandit leader would adopt it (especially if a former leader died this way from another prepper).

Last edited:
the worst part is the root..but yet,if rubbing against it slows down their thought process.then it's working plenty good for me..

For slowing folks down, stinging nettle is pretty good. I pretty much have this on the outside perimeter of our fences (I keep it mowed back on the inside, so it doesn't affect the horses...but then, they don't exactly hug the fence line either). That stuff tends to pop up everywhere though. Was there before we were, but we try and keep it mowed down everywhere but the perimeter fencing.

Under the windows, we have aloe, rose bushes, and pineapple growing. Makes it pretty uncomfortable to try and climb in. I love it when things have many purposes.

Latest posts

Back