Top Things You Prep For

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbieprep

Friend
Neighbor
I am pretty new to prepping, but I have already heard a lot of theories about what could happen. I am curious what the majority of people think will happen.

I am curious for a couple of reasons. I just want to get a sense of the top things people prep for. I also want to know if there a things that a lot of people put in their top three that I am ignoring. Hopefully some of you will help me out.

Here are the top three things that I am concerned about:
1. Economics-both rising food costs in general but also collapse.
2. Storms- pretty self explanatory.
3. Pandemic-major concern for me.

And at the bottom of my list:
1. Zombies-I can't run very fast so you all will probably be running from me. Feel free to shoot.

Shoot

Hunny asked his mom, who is now 91, what she wanted for mothers day. . . she said money. With the prices of everything on the rise, she is now dipping into her savings to just live. . . and I can honestly say, she does not buy what she does not need. In fact, she hardly even runs her A/C or heater and our temps range from 110F - 20F. So yeah, I'd say one of our biggest threats will be economy. I think it is a cryin shame that our senior dont see an increase to their SS but yet we give food stamp recipients a regular increase. Just sayin in my part of the world. :D at the Zombie comment

government takeover and control.which could lead to a one world government

a total and complete collapse of the Economics in every way possible.

civil unrest during a complete collapse and afterwards as well

maybe a government Pandemic to get rid of citizens which would be a less of a worry for them once that's over with

as for as Storms go with me..tornados is my primary concern.im not only in tornado ally.but yet there has been at least 2 maybe 3 tornados within 40 miles of me within the 7 years ive lived here.in which one was to close for comfort.

drought(s).i've seen 2 years in a row where we had droughts.ponds lakes and creeks that always have water..dried up during the 2nd one..

Here are the top three things that I am concerned about:
1. Economics-both rising food costs in general but also collapse.
2. Storms- pretty self explanatory.
3. Pandemic-major concern for me.

My top two are the same. My number 3. is an EMP attack or other attack on the grid. If it goes, we're pretty much at a SHTF situation at that point.

i didnt think of a EMP..and its definitely a possibility..man made and natural alike..

Not in any order.

Stormy weather,
Eco collapse,
Pandemic inc rage/zombie virus,
Natural/Man made disaster,
The truth?,
Loss of fuels/power,
Higher entity God/Alien?,
War,
My kid not finding blue ted,
My partner not finding the butter in the fridge.

In Mum we trust!:D

new to prepping here too, I`m most worried North Korea and Russia. With them doing what their doing, were getting closer to WW3.

I wouldn't worry much about NK. They simply can't afford to make anything that can hit us, in enough quantity to get past even the outer level of defenses. Currently, they have one missile type that can reach one state in the US, and even that is an iffy claim at best. A rogue terror act on their behalf is more likely, but it would be pretty limited in scope, and basically Un knows it would be a suicidal move. He's crazy, but he isn't stupid.

Russia, on the hand. Seems Vlad is certainly in the old Cold War mindset, and worse, he's a shrewd player (well outmatching our stumbling President) in the area of foreign policy. I'll start to worry about Russia once they start cranking out subs again though, but definitely one to watch.

Last edited:
My two main ones are weather (storms, earthquakes (very rare here) and tornados) and a terrorist attack since I live just outside DC and we would be one of the most likely places to get hit (take out the govt first).

My approach is to find as many overlaps as possible in scenarios. We will always need food, power, and sustainability. Regardless of the type of catastrophe, there are always constants. And the"irrational human factor." Ammo is a necessity as much as solar panels, batteries, and even water. Prepping for these things makes it financially responsible enough i dont feel crazy. Certain tools are always useful.

find it strange that the french are selling warships to Vlad,don't get it at all

Well with the rate that things are at lately it makes me wonder if we are heading towards WW3 however they may not happen but many folks think that this can even effect us here in the US with all of the sanctions that Obama is doing to Russia. I guess it is a wait and see what happens deal.

With the recent actions in Crimea, it really appears as if Vlad is going back to the old school Soviet Cold War outlook....but I don't really think that's necessarily so. This is all about the natural gas pipeline, not expansion. However, there are numerous cases, it seems, of Vlad armoring up, so whether it's just thrifty defense spending, or a true escalation, only time will tell. I'm of the feeling it is the former....but Putin is a very shrewd guy, much sharper than our head honcho, in my opinion.

With the recent actions in Crimea, it really appears as if Vlad is going back to the old school Soviet Cold War outlook....but I don't really think that's necessarily so. This is all about the natural gas pipeline, not expansion. However, there are numerous cases, it seems, of Vlad armoring up, so whether it's just thrifty defense spending, or a true escalation, only time will tell. I'm of the feeling it is the former....but Putin is a very shrewd guy, much sharper than our head honcho, in my opinion.

Well I figure it is best to be ready for anything just in case. However if WW3 does up and happen at least some of us will be ready for it. If it doesn't and we get a bad hurricane this year we are ready for it. I agree, I think Putin is a bit sharper, and really knows what he is doing.

1 . Civil unrest as a nation we are devided in more ways than anytime I can remember financialy , politically that seems unreversable , racialy , and what if somthing stopped the Government aid payouts what would be some of the first things to happen ?
2 . WW3 that could spread here because our enemys have simpthysers here .
3 . Terrorist .

Hurricane prepping grew into #1 prep for economic collapse and the ensuing chaos ..................because I'm always at my 100% hurricane prep level and will never be 100% for my #1........................Pandemic concerns , just add gloves , masks, good hand washing .......................and distance.

what if somthing stopped the Government aid payouts what would be some of the first things to happen ?

First, you'd see a nation-wide crime wave...then full-blown rioting by folks just trying to get food on the table. Which is exactly why they've been phasing these payouts down and out, vs. smacking them all together out. Even still though, there is a breaking point.

Latest posts

Back