Tracking Skills!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirtgunsquirter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Went out for a hike to one of my favorite spots. Lots of ice, the creek has flooded and gone back down... still some spots of snow and I spot some tracks. Wow, I think to myself, nobody comes out here. This person is serious, wonder what they were up to? So I mess around, following the tracks for 45 minutes or so. I'm thinking man this guy really goes some tough places, who the hell could this be? I've never seen anyone here in 4 years coming here. Birdwatcher? Its not hunting land.

Realize the tracks are from my other pair of boots! I had been tracking my own old prints from about a week and a half ago!

Well done LOL

Went out for a hike to one of my favorite spots. Lots of ice, the creek has flooded and gone back down... still some spots of snow and I spot some tracks. Wow, I think to myself, nobody comes out here. This person is serious, wonder what they were up to? So I mess around, following the tracks for 45 minutes or so. I'm thinking man this guy really goes some tough places, who the hell could this be? I've never seen anyone here in 4 years coming here. Birdwatcher? Its not hunting land.

Realize the tracks are from my other pair of boots! I had been tracking my own old prints from about a week and a half ago!

Well done LOL
Tracking is a good skill to have, even if you are tracking your own prints. Every morning when I go outside I'm always looking for new tracks, especially after a fresh snow. If you follow them for awhile each track tells a story. People aren't the only critters that follows tracks either. A few days ago I saw tracks from a mountain lion chasing after a deer. Usually the deer and elk have moved out of this area by now, but this winter has been light snow fall so far. It's not uncommon to see wolf tracks passing through this area too.

Makes me laugh. SGS, wait until you are 'older'. Following your own tracks would be your typical day. And walking into rooms asking 'why did I come here?"...

we don't have the range of wild animals in the UK you have in the US, i'm always finding dog prints, badgers and sometimes foxes.
in the summer we see flattened grass where the deer have been laying.
trails into the woods are mostly caused by badgers and domesticated cats, some stoats and weasels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back