Tropical Storm Helene forms, forecast to hit Florida as major hurricane

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also getting reports of major flooding in the Unicoi TN area. They are evacuating people off the roof of the hospital by helicopter. Highway patrol, various area law enforcement and national guard helos are participating. The small hospital is a single story in a pretty remote area north of I 40 near the state line with NC.

I hadn't heard about this one yet. Local news just came on. And this is actually Walter's Dam east of the Stateline in NC. And is on the pigeon River and does flow into TN and will hit Newport. They are already having historical flood levels on the river. Over 26' above flood stage. Old record was around 23'.
I think the I 40 outage is around the stateline
I got this from the Facebook page of an Atlanta TV meteorologist that I follow
She posts a lot of things about the whole region.

I 40 east bound is gone near the state line. The river undercut the road bed and it collapsed. West bound is closed as well between Newport TN and Asheville NC.
The Lake Lure potential dam failure is currently easing up slightly. The river had been going over and around the dam. But lake levels have very recently started dropping. It may hold.

Here is a screen shot of I 40. Not great, just grabbed it from TV.
Note all the traffic backed up and hoping more of the road bed dont fall in. That river is CRAZY right now and when the slug of water from the dam failure gets there it'll get worse for a while

Attachments

• 20240927_163510.jpg
    20240927_163510.jpg
    651.9 KB
Also getting reports of major flooding in the Unicoi TN area. They are evacuating people off the roof of the hospital by helicopter. Highway patrol, various area law enforcement and national guard helos are participating. The small hospital is a single story in a pretty remote area north of I 40 near the state line with NC.
Here is a screen shot of the hospital flooding. All roads in the area are currently closed.

Attachments

• 20240927_163810.jpg
    20240927_163810.jpg
    870.5 KB
Well just had an alert about the dam failure of Walter's Dam. Apparently it was a imminent failure expected. Not a actual failure. National Weather Service has just canceled the flash flood warning they generated for it.

Conditions are changing rapidly even though most of the storm is well out of the area. More to come.

What Meteorologist are you following? One they have down there used to be on local TV up here. She was very good at her job.
I’m sorry, I follow a number of them.
This one was from Kaitlin Wright out of Charlotte.
I also follow a reporter from Atlanta and a meteorologist out of Tampa.

Facebook is a valuable resource for those of us who take it seriously.
Guns, history, reliable news, hot rods, drag racing, dirt track racing. You know, “guy stuff “

Latest posts

Back