Tropical Storm Helene forms, forecast to hit Florida as major hurricane

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over 50 hours without power for us.
I have a 5 KW generator but that can only power the well pumps, freezers, two lights, a fan, and the wifi modem.
No AC, no hot water to take a shower, and other luxuries.

Our power company, Okefenokee Rural Electric Membership Co-Op, gets its power from Georgia Transmission, which also feeds most of the state.
We are on the Florida side of the line, but our power still comes from Georgia.

We are blessed, not only do we have SOME power, we also have a house. Tens of thousands of people don’t even have a house.
I'm glad y'all are safe! And yes, so many lost everything, including lives!! Glad you have the generator too, will probably be days without power! Keep us posted!!

I have friends that lived on Anna Maria Island, south of Tampa. They lost their house and my friend's car. No insurance, but I don't think you can get insurance on the island anymore. She does have lots of family.
OMG. I have a friend in Braedenton and their house is ok, damaged, but salvageable. Friends of their completely lost their homes. Another friend in Tampa were fine—little damage mostly from tree bits.

OMG. I have a friend in Braedenton and their house is ok, damaged, but salvageable. Friends of their completely lost their homes. Another friend in Tampa were fine—little damage mostly from tree bits.
Bradenton is my home town. My friend lives in town and it is her daughter who lived on the island. My friend in town lost power for about a day, but otherwise seems fine.
I will pray for your friends!

prayers for this storm to be gone...after math is going to last awhile...its clouded up and trying to rain now....flood waters working its way through river systems now...its going to take awhile.

Some photos that family posted of the area.
IMG_5118.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

I drove across the aftermath of Hugo in '89, interstate thru Columbia. A week after but hadn't seen the news. Knew it had happened but not much else.

@Bacpacker Did the mountains get pounded back then? I wondered about it at the time. After seeing parts of SC knew it'd be bad up there. (camped around devil's courthouse many times)

Last edited:
This first one from Asheville NC. The area is very close to the Swananooa River and has a lot of high end businesses. We've got a friend that has a clothing business there. It's very near the entrance to Biltmore Estates if anyone is familiar with that.

This video is mostly from Tennessee, up around the Erwin area upstream but same county as the flooded hospital. Interstate 26, which was going to be the way around the road collaspe of I 40, had a bridge taken out. There is now no interstate route from the east coast into Tennessee. On top of that the 2 prime highways 70 and 25 have sustained damage and will be very limited or shut down for some time. There is also a Nuc processing facility in Erwin, a cousin of mine worked at, that I can't find any info about. Not sure how far above the river that facility is. This town is mostly wiped out.

I drove across the aftermath of Hugo in '89, interstate thru Columbia. A week after but hadn't seen the news. Knew it had happened but not much else.

@Bacpacker Did the mountains get pounded back then? I wondered about it at the time. After seeing parts of SC knew it'd be bad up there. (camped around devil's courthouse many times)
Yeah we got a ton of rain from Hugo. But not near what this one dumped. Bad thing with this one was the cold front that dumped as much for the 2 days before it got here.

Yeah we got a ton of rain from Hugo. But not near what this one dumped. Bad thing with this one was the cold front that dumped as much for the 2 days before it got here.
So, how long will it be before you post the words 'badly needed rain' again? :oops:

The Nolichucky dam in Tn was expected to fail and was topped and had water pouring over one side. But it was just reported that the water level is dropping a foot an hour and was no longer expected to fail. The Major lake downstream that catches all the water from the nolichucky, french broad, and pigeon rivers draining western North Carolina, as well as, all the mountains in east Tennessee was almost down to winter pool from the drought. It came up 20 before yesterday and is now at full pool. TVA is spilling all 11 flood gates, first time since 1977. Lots of evacuations downstream between that dam and Knoxville. This lake spill into Ft. Loudon lake which is the head of the Tennessee River and it is just above full pool right now. And I'm sure it will be spilling flood gates by tomorrow if its not already. Chattanooga will see flooding in the next couple days.
Here are a couple of other vid's.

This last video is from Adapt 2030 and he covers things from a large perspective and all 3 of the possible dam failures, along with a discussion he had with TVA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMYXEXrtqY

Thanks for posting these, @Bacpacker
It is hard to watch when the water is running hard and taking stuff with it. My brother said there are a lot of yt videos, that's where he's been getting a lot of his information. I heard that through the grapevine.
Things okay out on your roads, @Bacpacker ??

Our area is in good shape. We had a lot of rain, but just low lying areas flooded. Nothing like what they had in the mountains. Lots of folks and supplies are heading into the mountains to try and help out. Being out of work right now I wish I was able to go help out.

Sup I hope we don't get any at all for the next 203 weeks. But we are actually getting a light rain tonight and expect 40% or better thru Wednesday. I saw a clip on the news while ago that Douglas lake area is getting a decent rain right now. Last thing they need. Watch the Adapt2030 video. He shows data from TVA about lake inputs and outputs of whats going on yet.

I have a very stubborn but inexperienced kid in Chattanooga but has been aware of auntie's troubles. You saying that they're next, I wondered, thank you for that info too.
I'm glad you and wife are okay, family. Kept thinking you were in a bad place and getting flooded. Natural disasters are so weird.

Let be explain a little. All of Chattanooga is not in danger. Just the areas along the Tennessee River that usually flood. This is typical after heavy rains upstream for them. Kiddo will just need to watch where they go for a few days. It'll be all over the local news. TVA trys to control flooding as best it can. Typically they do a good job. This is just larger than normal.

Our house is high enough that the water would top Ft. Loudon Dam before we got flooded. We have water run across the bottom of our place at times, but the house is 20' above that.

Back