Vintage fallout shelter material stocking ad

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Everything looks fine in fact it even suggest a 2 week supply of water though there is a problem with the recommendation(s) can anyone spot them?

I gone and looked at a bunch of vintage images from the 50s and 60s regarding fallout shelters, I've noticed similar items in the shelters/bunkers as will ready to use.

6160384127_18efaba0eb_o.jpg

Everything looks fine in fact it even suggest a 2 week supply of water though there is a problem with the recommendation(s) can anyone spot them?

I gone and looked at a bunch of vintage images from the 50s and 60s regarding fallout shelters, I've noticed similar items in the shelters/bunkers as will ready to use.

View attachment 3900
I like the prices!

Air intake/exhaust has to be a primary consideration of any shelter. Ad seems to be more about comforts than basics, but then, it's an ad.

Something else most don't think of.....how they are getting rid of human waste and garbage, during the bunker stay.

Air intake/exhaust has to be a primary consideration of any shelter. Ad seems to be more about comforts than basics, but then, it's an ad.

Something else most don't think of.....how they are getting rid of human waste and garbage, during the bunker stay.

A lot of the intake was of hand crank design during that era in the bunkers, most of the shelters was located in the basement with very limited air intake/exhaust implementations, both bunkers and shelters would have loaded up on carbon monoxide using these type of stoves, I have a ton of colman products dated from 1958 to 1994 (all white fuel)

In a lot of pictures I have seen the old coleman white fuel catalyst heaters to lanterns to 3 burner stoves, I know people couldn't possibly have been that ignorant then. I could understand the stoves being stored for after the recommended two week of hunkering down but what I have seen these stoves was on a bench with all the cooking utensils everything set and ready to use.

I remember my dads bunker on the side of the house, he never kept the stove and lanterns in the bunker but in an out building right next to the bunker, I remember that being the 'CD' recommendation.

Latest posts

Back