What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HOPE it was dead....
Yes, it's face was gone and it was dead. So I wrapped it in a towel, and buried it. Poor cat. Just checked the porch area and nothing looks new (thankfully) this morning.
Little granddaughter's mom is coming out for a visit with her this afternoon, she hasn't asked to see her since the start of summer. Hoping to get some cupboards painted, but husband was up alot last night, so we'll see what today brings.

getting started on animals soon, was waiting for light outside to get up . Looks like we might get some more rain today , yuck. I think I want the draught back at this point
We are also picking up straw today from the festival IF we can get the trailer down our road. Son fixed our part good enough but the really steep section at the neighbors is not fixed yet.

Back in 70's and 80's i had several eagle claw rods and reels. Especially they had a signature series for Tom Mann...who was a famous fisherman....they were fantastic reels.

this kit i am assembling is my doing not eagle claws per say...its going to have this pack it rod/reel combo in it is all. its only the rod i was working on for my pack last night. the micro tackle box will go in my front or back pocket even....more to come and show.....testing in field first. no fishing for awhile though with all this flooding....i wouldnt get close to a river bank now for fear of collapsing in places.
There should be a fishing 🎣 thread.

A good morning getting chores done outside, and husband did a bit of strimming of heavy duty growth, stocked up on firewood nearer the house for the week in case I need it, then spent a while in the kitchen. I'd picked zucchini, green tomatoes, cabbage and sorted some potatoes I had lifted and just left covered. Made green tomato chutney, then dinner and now making a list of paperwork I have to do for next week - husband bought a new van, so insurance and all has to be sorted.

Got up, went down to the pool and swam a bit, came back and took a shower, made some coffee, watched a little television and now I am obviously here helping to keep the forum alive and active. At some point these sleepy ladies will start to wake up and I will make some pancakes, sausage links and berries. I already threw out all the fake maple high fructose corn syrup and replaced it with real maple syrup.

Cruel to keep us in suspense: when you call him what?
Also glad the fire extinguisher didn’t cause any damage!

My friend's grandkids named him Bucky. I'll go with Buck or Bud... or Sir Lion of Pastureborough!

Have a plan for the day... serious lack of motivation this morning, no energy. But I got the calf watered and fed. Turned him out on good grass. Sitting and thinking of the best way to go about...

Decided that since I can't get either of my pumps running and get water from my cousin's pond. And, I'm having to connect a hose to my kitchen faucet and run a couple buckets of water for the calf 2x a day.... Might as well put a 250g tank on a trailer and fill it up from my kitchen. Park it by the corral and set up a siphon hose for filling the calf's water tub. This will give me time to get the pumps working.

And since I have to disconnect the bushhog to hook to the trailer. Afterwards I'll lift the bushhog w/front loader and cut the barbwire out of it. Then I can finish cutting the lower pasture.. That's the plan anyway...

Spent Friday evening doing some chores before I crashed.
Walked the pups yesterday first, then spent all day cleaning the stall by the woodshed, the woodshed too because I toss stuff in there. And other cleaning and organizing by the barn n garage up untill I couldn't see last night.
I like listening to podcasts when I do this. Ive been spending alot of time contemplating my role in the Universe and what I want life to be like, what positive thoughts and actions I'm doing to help myself manifest the kind of life I'm rolling into.
I'm looking forward to some changes..

I had plans to finish cleaning the garage today. We will see..I'm pretty beat. I'm thinking I need today to be more relaxing b4 another week of heavy pine. I'm stiff n sore all over..might just go soak in a hot spring later.

Did everyone make it out ok from the flooding? I see Sonya123 has had some issues with power n roads. I saw last night some crazy flooding in NC and Tennessee..yikes..

Who would think Amish of all people would bury a live cat?
Well it did not say if it was dead or alive ...
these days we never know what people can do

She sure a very awsome perfect good person

Am I going to JAIL because I did ask a question 🤪

Goodness people !!! :rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:
Slow start with fresh scrambled eggs from the girls out back. Wife and I both checking the real news and decided it's time for a run to the discount big box store and a supplement run to the health food store...We have stuff coming out our ears but there is something comforting about a couple of shopping carts full of nutrient dense storabe food we can cook simply and quickly.
Hope it cools off here, the dehydraters and freeze dryer are heating up the house.....

Slow start with fresh scrambled eggs from the girls out back. Wife and I both checking the real news and decided it's time for a run to the discount big box store and a supplement run to the health food store...We have stuff coming out our ears but there is something comforting about a couple of shopping carts full of nutrient dense storabe food we can cook simply and quickly.
Hope it cools off here, the dehydraters and freeze dryer are heating up the house.....
Might also fill up on fuel ⛽️ possible port strike Tues 😒

You are fine!! Bacpacker asked, I answered! If I didn't know Amish I might have asked that question!! 💗💗💗

You are fine!! Bacpacker asked, I answered! If I didn't know Amish I might have asked that question!! 💗💗💗
Really you would? Ha Ha.
If the cat was alive, I would not have buried it. Don't know anyone who would.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned half his face was ripped off, but I couldn't comprehend what animal would do that.

Not to change the topic away from the zombie cat, but guess who I got to meet? My new best friend in the parking garage, the one with the other Challenger. He said "Nice Scat, love the shaker scoop", I said "That F8 Green is sweet" and then we walked away. We are now parking pals who will either nod at each other or raise a single finger from the steering wheel to acknowledge that we are the coolest people who park there. I am sure we will never speak to one another again, which will only makes our friendship stronger. I cut out the row of pricey sports cars on the left, they are all d-bags who wish they owned a Challenger. They have no friends, let alone one with as deep of bond as F8 and I have.

park2.png

No Jail for you.
You're just getting comfortable enough to ask questions with some of us on here.
We're a quirky bunch on here.
Welcome home by the way.
Welcome to the family.

My Irishman seems to think I need to learn something new.
I believe he called it Patience.
So while he was surfing the Internet.
He has suggested I learn how to make cheese.
He went so far as to give me a list of cheeses he likes.
His mother just laughed at him.
Told him maybe he should be careful.
By the look I shot him.
So now he's walking around telling our friends I don't have the "patience" to learn this.
So how do I learn to make cheese.
I need a very basic recipe.
Do you need special equipment to make cheese?
Sometimes I thinks he just likes to rile me, so we can kiss and make up.
But I would like to learn.
Not because of him saying I have no patience right now.
But because I like learning new things.

My Irishman seems to think I need to learn something new.
I believe he called it Patience.
So while he was surfing the Internet.
He has suggested I learn how to make cheese.
He went so far as to give me a list of cheeses he likes.
His mother just laughed at him.
Told him maybe he should be careful.
By the look I shot him.
So now he's walking around telling our friends I don't have the "patience" to learn this.
So how do I learn to make cheese.
I need a very basic recipe.
Do you need special equipment to make cheese?
Sometimes I thinks he just likes to rile me, so we can kiss and make up.
But I would like to learn.
Not because of him saying I have no patience right now.
But because I like learning new things.
It depends on the kind of cheese you want to make. You can do a very, very easy yogurt cheese by simply draining yogurt through cheesecloth or muslin until it’s the thickness you like, like a cream cheese, and then add salt or other seasonings (paprika, spice blends) to taste.

You can make ricotta or cottage cheese with 2 c. whole milk, 1 Tbsp lemon juce or vinegar (you will taste it, choose one you like the flavor of), salt, and a saucepan. Heat the milk over medium until there are bubbles around the edge. Stir while heating. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice or vinegar. Stir gently and watch the curds form. Drain the curds through a sieve lined with a couple layers of cheesecloth or a piece of muslin. Pull up the edges of the cheesecloth and squeeze gently to get the rest of the whey out. Salt to taste.

Those are the two simplest I know. Fresh mozzarella — which I haven’t made — is also pretty simple, from everything I’ve heard.

You can use the leftover whey in baking as a replacement for water. I don’t bake that much, so mine gets used as a mild fertilizer — add an equal amount of water to the whey and pour around your fruit trees and berry bushes.

Since we didn't grow a garden this year I didn't get any hot peppers for making hot sauce. The hottest pepper that I can find around here is habanaro. But today I discovered a site that has dried ghost peppers, scorpion pepper, Carolina Reaper and a few other types of dried peppers. I'm getting low on hot sauce, so I'm going to order a couple bags of each. They also sell the seeds for growing your own hot pepper plants.

Since we didn't grow a garden this year I didn't get any hot peppers for making hot sauce. The hottest pepper that I can find around here is habanaro. But today I discovered a site that has dried ghost peppers, scorpion pepper, Carolina Reaper and a few other types of dried peppers. I'm getting low on hot sauce, so I'm going to order a couple bags of each. They also sell the seeds for growing your own hot pepper plants.
And the site ???

Latest posts

Back