where do you go to learn mechanics and how to fix a car

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChancesR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am a woman "hear me roar" but my upper body strength is minimal at best. I have never heard of classes you can take of learning how to fix a car... it would be nice skill to have and it would save me money to actually know how to change oil, put in new anti freeze and trouble shoot issues like ignition and transmission and so on. I want to know how to do basic maintenance and repairs and better yet upgrades to my car.

mechanics learn this somewhere do I look at trade schools, or community colleges... where should I start to find info on doing this.

might try finding someone that does thier own auto work them selfs first..they can at least teach you the basic's.like changeing the air filter,oil,checking the fluid leevels..and one thing i learned by accident.is there's a air filter for the ac/heater..i was looking for a 2nd fuse box inside the van when i found ours..i also learned.there's no 2nd fuse box for the van..

I am a woman "hear me roar" but my upper body strength is minimal at best. I have never heard of classes you can take of learning how to fix a car... it would be nice skill to have and it would save me money to actually know how to change oil, put in new anti freeze and trouble shoot issues like ignition and transmission and so on. I want to know how to do basic maintenance and repairs and better yet upgrades to my car.

mechanics learn this somewhere do I look at trade schools, or community colleges... where should I start to find info on doing this.
Have you looked at any local community college, or maybe You Tube might have something for you.

awesome question! ill tell you the first thing I get with any car I own: I go to AutoZone (or whatever car parts store) and I buy a repair manual for my car, Chiltons is what it is here where I am. you can look up, in detail, just about everything to do to that particular car. like anything else on this site (pretty much) experience is the best way to learn, so open the manual and your hood n get to work and/or just read the repair manual to get proficient with your car/truck/etc.

awesome question! ill tell you the first thing I get with any car I own: I go to AutoZone (or whatever car parts store) and I buy a repair manual for my car, Chiltons is what it is here where I am. you can look up, in detail, just about everything to do to that particular car. like anything else on this site (pretty much) experience is the best way to learn, so open the manual and your hood n get to work and/or just read the repair manual to get proficient with your car/truck/etc.
I didnt even know such a thing existed I will have to look into this :) thanks

In all my years of repairing vehicles from simple fixes to major overhauls, I have found that Chiltons and other similar repair manuals don't give the detailed step by step instructions like the OEM factory shop repair manuals.

These OEM factory manuals are very expensive to say the least and not very practical for the DIYselfer to own unless you repair vehicles for a living.

IMO, I feel a person needs a little bit of a mechanical back ground to be able to read between the lines with auto parts store repair manuals. I have found YouTube and Online Forums to be a very valuable place for good repair info.

In all my years of repairing vehicles from simple fixes to major overhauls, I have found that Chiltons and other similar repair manuals don't give the detailed step by step instructions like the OEM factory shop repair manuals.

These OEM factory manuals are very expensive to say the least and not very practical for the DIYselfer to own unless you repair vehicles for a living.

IMO, I feel a person needs a little bit of a mechanical back ground to be able to read between the lines with auto parts store repair manuals. I have found YouTube and Online Forums to be a very valuable place for good repair info.
I totally get what you're saying here, however, when SHTF....you probably wont be able to YouTube it or look at various forums. the manuals arnt that good for say....changing out a gear in your transmission, but it WILL tell you where to look for like your alternator, and how many bolts it has. it give a "somewhat" description on "how-to" and if you cant figure it out from there, well....you probably should have a different job in the group LOL

Now a days its not so much about having the physical body strength to work on vehicles, seems like everything is made of aluminum and plastic anymore and not made to last.

What a person really needs is super small hands and the brain power to diagnose this newer automotive technology. Its not some much about mechanical parts moving other mechanical parts to do a job. Its more about low voltage signals activating other computer electronic devices to then activate relays and servos to preform a function.

Auto manufactures are always trying to dream up new and more complex technology for their vehicles to keep the average person depended on them for service. Unless you have the diagnostic equipment and the ability to use it, your at their mercy.

There is another option that you may or may not have in your are. Out here in california we have an educational program called R.O.P. (Regional Occupation Program)
Here is the web address for the one somewhat close to me. they have quite a number of courses. from auto to emt to entrtinment
Hope it helps

Latest posts

Back