Wild Leeks (Ramps)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the lone gunman

Friend
Neighbor
Went out Thursday morning for my Favorite spring time edible. I like these raw or cooked . I also cut off some of the leaves , dry them and crumble in an airtight jar for seasoning other dishes like soups/stews. Blubs can also be dried or pickled.

Attachments

• cleaned leeks.JPG
    cleaned leeks.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Went out Thursday morning for my Favorite spring time edible. I like these raw or cooked . I also cut off some of the leaves , dry them and crumble in an airtight jar for seasoning other dishes like soups/stews. Blubs can also be dried or pickled.
Leeks are such a good power food, Not sure if we have those ones in Scotland, Guess what i'll be looking out for this week.:)

I'm not sure what a leek is. I saw packets of seeds for them, but have never tried them to the best of my knowledge. Are they a type of onion?

We don't have any wild leeks around here (oh how I wish), but we do have wild onion which I transplanted off the canal into one of my flower beds. They do produce a nice "flower bud". If I want green onions, I just have to snip off the amount I want and it regrows

A friend of mine has chives growing thicker and larger than any I've ever seen. He said he prepped the bed with horse manure. I wish I owned a horse!

A friend of mine has chives growing thicker and larger than any I've ever seen. He said he prepped the bed with horse manure. I wish I owned a horse!
I like donkey better. . . their manure will not reseed what they eat.

I'm not sure what a leek is. I saw packets of seeds for them, but have never tried them to the best of my knowledge. Are they a type of onion?

wild leeks (Allium tricoccum ) have there own flavor, maybe more like a garlic than an onion. The seed packets you speak of are a garden type leek, much bigger , not the same flavor.

wild leeks (Allium tricoccum ) have there own flavor, maybe more like a garlic than an onion. The seed packets you speak of are a garden type leek, much bigger , not the same flavor.

Not any good for tattie and leek soup then:( I thought they may be onion ish just like the garden kind, Would be fab for other dishes tho....What do you use them for?

Sounds great, garlic and onion are two of my favorite spices.

Latest posts

Back