Windows Updates

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoduck

Friend
Neighbor
Not sure how you all feel about this, but, Windows 10 update.
I had one two days ago that seemingly took forever from restart to final boot to get back into my user. Has anyone had any problems with their PC after. Right now, mine's running painfully slow and my Disk is constantly at 100% use. I've heard rumours that they gather your information that way. Any thoughts?

Hmmm mine had a large update with security patches and more gadgets to play with but it has not slowed anything down. However I have stopped using EDGE as it was way to slow so i use firefox. I keep things running by using CC cleaner but even still some caches max out

After my install Edge was on my Desktop, probably just an after-update bug, or my HDD is just getting old. what security patches were installed?

After my install Edge was on my Desktop, probably just an after-update bug, or my HDD is just getting old. what security patches were installed?
yes Edge was on my desktop as well I just deleted it, also got different log in pictures and new apps as well. Dunno which patches uploaded I dont keep track of them.. try emptying your caches like temp internet files etc in Browsing history in Internet options

Not sure how you all feel about this, but, Windows 10 update.
I had one two days ago that seemingly took forever from restart to final boot to get back into my user. Has anyone had any problems with their PC after. Right now, mine's running painfully slow and my Disk is constantly at 100% use. I've heard rumours that they gather your information that way. Any thoughts?

Same boat as you.

I keep getting rid of McAfee, which is one of the big disk/memory users on my laptop, and update always brings it back.

This last update reloaded all the stupid games I had uninstalled, switched my search engine from duckduckgo back to bing, and reset a bunch of my settings and preferences.

Slow would be an understatement.

My comp was pretty much unusable, and I had to reset it back to the original build without the updates, then turn off updates.

Windows ten is the main reason I am switching to a Linux only build on my next laptop. I don't ever use Cortana's functions, it is useless, but I literally can't uninstall it, it is tied into many of my laptops functions. I don't hate Edge, but I'm not in love with it either. I have two adblockers installed, so Edge works ok.

And yeah, if you have anything selected that "reports problems" or communicates with Microsoft, or McAfee, or any of the other endless, hard to root out permissions, then they are completely aware of everything you do.

I am positive they intentionally make changes that slow down or crash older laptops. My old acer worked great running windows seven, and I liked it. Simple. Clear choices. Intuitive controls.

Then one day, it was about impossible to use, and started acting up constantly.

Not a coincidence, built in obsolescence.

I hate McAvee, its slows EVERYTHING down as does Norton and Kasperky. The only reliable one I used was Malware bytes but I've had to unistall that now and just rely on windows Defender and Firewall. CC Clear does help occasionaly to have a good deep dig out of stuff that builds up and slows computers down. I DO like Firefox because its built and run by amateurs with a strong sense of protecting users privacy, Indeed I use the Private Browsing function a lot, But also you can turn offf many tracking programs etc in Firefox., and block popups and adverts.

I hate McAvee, its slows EVERYTHING down as does Norton and Kasperky. The only reliable one I used was Malware bytes but I've had to unistall that now and just rely on windows Defender and Firewall. CC Clear does help occasionaly to have a good deep dig out of stuff that builds up and slows computers down. I DO like Firefox because its built and run by amateurs with a strong sense of protecting users privacy, Indeed I use the Private Browsing function a lot, But also you can turn offf many tracking programs etc in Firefox., and block popups and adverts.
I used AVG a lot, for all of my computers (two desktops and one laptop) after an update this year windows defender shuts them off and leaves my pc open to attacks, trojans, keyloggers and various malware. So I'm stuck with just windows Defender now.

I used AVG a lot, for all of my computers (two desktops and one laptop) after an update this year windows defender shuts them off and leaves my pc open to attacks, trojans, keyloggers and various malware. So I'm stuck with just windows Defender now.

And this pisses me off to no end, because windows ten was supposed to allow ANY anti-mal to be used, and when you loaded it and chose it, Defender was supposed to turn off.

Instead, it still runs, runs in the background when you can figure out how to force stop it, and then overrides your choice on the next update.

I'm sure there is way to do whatever I want, but I shouldn't have to attend a trade school to figure out how to use something like a browser security suite.

And this pisses me off to no end, because windows ten was supposed to allow ANY anti-mal to be used, and when you loaded it and chose it, Defender was supposed to turn off.

Instead, it still runs, runs in the background when you can figure out how to force stop it, and then overrides your choice on the next update.

I'm sure there is way to do whatever I want, but I shouldn't have to attend a trade school to figure out how to use something like a browser security suite.

SUPPOSEDLY, Defender is just there to warn you if your regularly installed AV is killed by a virus, expired, out of date, etc.

If it took forever to update, it was probably the big April or May update (a feature update). It was a big one, and for whatever reason the few hundred Windows computers my group is responsible for seem to do the same for a while. Im calling it an update hangover.

Latest posts

Back