Yellowstone ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNGRIZZ

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i follow some science geology channels on Youtube from time to time. a month or 2 ago lots of chatter about Faultlines opening in Yellowstone. now some of the channels are gone or the comments have been turned off. or video wont play. anyone from montana on here who can shed some light on what is really going on.

Can't find the title for a movie I watched a few years ago, 15+, might have been Supervolcano. It was about Yellowstone and it was done in a documentary drama style. I enjoyed being alarmed at what could happen. Wasn't living in Texas yet but still think I'm too far north.

i follow some science geology channels on Youtube from time to time. a month or 2 ago lots of chatter about Faultlines opening in Yellowstone. now some of the channels are gone or the comments have been turned off. or video wont play. anyone from montana on here who can shed some light on what is really going on.
I usually watch history documentaries on YouTube, so I'm not familiar with the topic.
But you seem to be, so do you think that these fault lines are dangerous? I mean in terms of a bad earthquake unleashing something ugly?
Could this be a cover up operation?

I'm serious. Do you think that it's something average people like me need to pay attention to?

I'm serious. Do you think that it's something average people like me need to pay attention to?

According to the U.S. Department of the Interior, "the surrounding states of Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming that are closest to Yellowstone would be affected by pyroclastic flows, while other places in the United States would be impacted by falling ash."

Up to 90,000 people could die immediately, and a 10-foot (3-meter) layer of molten ash would spread as far as 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) from the park.

Here is a map from USGS that shows where the ash will flow.

1719783963383.png

Thanks, we were planning on going to the Teton's in mid July. I hope they will still be there. Maybe we'll go to Hawaii, or Pueblo, Mexico instead... ;)

Which pass is that
As a vet, a lifetime pass was $10 for the "America the beautiful" pass.
I think seniors pay about the same price.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

America the Beautiful—the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass​

• Covers entrance fees and standard amenity fees (day-use fees) at Federal recreational sites, including national parks
  • 1 year and lifetime options

Recommended for​

• Seniors, military, visitors with permanent disabilities
  • One or more trips to multiple parks

• Covers entrance fees and standard amenity fees (day-use fees) at Federal recreational sites, including national parks

Recommended for​

Thank you

If you're going to the Teton's, Yellowstone is literally right next door. Why not both?

BTW, anyone considered park passes? I got my lifetime veteran pass, the Mrs. got the senior citizen lifetime pass.
Well there's so many people in Yellowstone, and I don't want to get caught nearby in case it blows. ;)

Actually we've been all over Yellowstone, but never been into the park at Grand Teton. And I want to go fishing and rafting on the Snake river.

Can't find the title for a movie I watched a few years ago, 15+, might have been Supervolcano. It was about Yellowstone and it was done in a documentary drama style. I enjoyed being alarmed at what could happen. Wasn't living in Texas yet but still think I'm too far north.
I watched that also.
From what I understand, the whole West Coast will pretty much be gone.
If Yellowstone erupts, it will trigger shock waves to San Andreas fault line.
Which in turn will effect several other fault lines including the one in Missouri.
Life as we know it will be gone.
Ash will effect everyone around the world.

If you're going to the Teton's, Yellowstone is literally right next door. Why not both?

BTW, anyone considered park passes? I got my lifetime veteran pass, the Mrs. got the senior citizen lifetime pass.
I got my Military/ Veteran Lifetime Pass.
I believe it cost me $10.
Money well spent.

anyone from montana on here who can shed some light on what is really going on.
Or Wyoming?

I just read a book and it's sequel - Outland and Earthside - by Dennis E. Taylor about Yellowstone going off. Some college kids used a portal to escape to an alternate world, and going back and forth into the Yellowstone destroyed version to obtain abandoned supplies for their new society in the alternate world. Not exceptional literature, but still fun to read. I rated both of them 3 out of 5 stars. I'd say they were right on the border between Young Adult and Adult books. Not childish, but maybe a tad predictable and simpler to read. Still, if you like this genre, I'd recommend them. They are fairly quick reads.

Screenshot at 2024-06-30 19-11-27.png

I live about 200 miles north of yellowstone and haven't seen any puffs of smoke lately. The area is quite well monitored so I woud hope the general public would be informed...altho it might get crowed on the washington coast if everyone had to flee and head upwind..
if you are worried you might follow the earthquakes happening in the area.
https://quake.utah.edu/earthquake-center/quake-map
Yelowstone has the most geysers of anyplace in the world..
jackson hole and the tetons has the least roads and most tourists.
If you go to yellowstone or the tetons my favorite time is O dark thirty to see the most wild life and have the least amount of traffic jams.....cars stop to look at squirrels..
Also if you are in the area cruise thru cook city and on aways further to bear tooth pass...truly a epic road and scenery.
Here is a current photo of the caldera in yellowstone.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyelowstone lake.JPG
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyelowstone lake.JPG
    2.2 MB

Recommended for​

Which pass is that
I think my lifetime pass lets me and four guests into any federal park for free.

Yellowstone Caldera, 43X28 miles is one of a handful of super-volcanoes scattered around the globe. While earthquakes and other geological features guarantee that it is still active I wouldn’t avoid a visit unless there was unusual activity. I also wouldn’t live within hundreds of miles of it or over 1,000 miles downwind. It has the potential to spew ash high enough that it will travel around the globe multiple times. It could set off a volcanic winter. Lesser eruptions are also possible. Should you be worried? I’m not. You should certainly be aware. It will definitely blow again, whether tomorrow or many generations from now.

I got my Military/ Veteran Lifetime Pass.
I believe it cost me $10.
Money well spent.
This is something that happened under Trump's watch.
Thanks, Donald!!

Thats a great diagram from Morgan - I was under the impression that Yellowstone has the ability to affect the whole world. Also, for the few of this this side of the Atlantic, we have the volcano around the Canary Islands to consider. We could get it from both sides lol. Maybe should move back down to Oz. Only the animals kill you there.

Thats a great diagram from Morgan - I was under the impression that Yellowstone has the ability to affect the whole world. Also, for the few of this this side of the Atlantic, we have the volcano around the Canary Islands to consider. We could get it from both sides lol. Maybe should move back down to Oz. Only the animals kill you there.

I believe that is the Cumbre Vieja on La Palma in the Canary Islands. It erupted in September of 2021, and did significant damage. The real threat, so say the Volcanologists, is that some day that island is going to break in half. When/if that happens it will truly be a TEOTWAWKI event. The resulting tsunami will wipe out the Eastern seaboard of the United States and devastate all of Europe.

I was watching that volcano very closely, especially with my daughter and family living on the East Coast. 🤞🤞🤞

I believe that is the Cumbre Vieja on La Palma in the Canary Islands. It erupted in September of 2021, and did significant damage. The real threat, so say the Volcanologists, is that some day that island is going to break in half. When/if that happens it will truly be a TEOTWAWKI event. The resulting tsunami will wipe out the Eastern seaboard of the United States and devastate all of Europe.

I was watching that volcano very closely, especially with my daughter and family living on the East Coast. 🤞🤞🤞
When La Palma breaks in half I expect the tsunami to take out all of the Atlantic coasts. The waves should be well over 1000 meters and traveling as fast as a jumbo jet. It will sweep over most of the Caribbean islands wrecking damage in the Gulf Coast and Central America. South America and Africa will get hit hard. The Atlantic and Caribbean will be like a bowl of jello with waves bouncing back and forth. The tsunami will slowly reduce as each bounce will absorb energy.

Both Yellowstone and Cumbre Vieja are disasters of unimaginable proportions. Magpie, both could have ramifications in Oz though I expect them to be minimal. Save a spare room for me.

When La Palma breaks in half I expect the tsunami to take out all of the Atlantic coasts. The waves should be well over 1000 meters and traveling as fast as a jumbo jet.
Yea, well, I can ride a surf board so there's that. I'll ride that wave across the entire Atlantic. ;)
Just kidding, I've fallen off boogie boards.

Yea, well, I can ride a surf board so there's that. I'll ride that wave across the entire Atlantic. ;)
Just kidding, I've fallen off boogie boards.
Actually, in deep water a tsunami is unremarkable. A friend of mine was towing a raft of logs when the Good Friday Earthquake hit (9.2). When the tsunami passed him he was immediately 3 miles back. That happened three times as there are at least 3 waves with a tsunami. When the water shallows the wave lifts out of the sea. The trough precedes the crest. Often people rush onto the beach to collect the stranded fish, and wind up being fish food.

There are two types of tsunamis. The basic earthquake shifting the ocean bottom up or down. This type of tsunami is limited to about ten meters in height. The other is caused by a landslide. There is no known limit to this type of tsunami. La Palma and a meteor are examples of possible causes. The largest tsunami that I am aware of is, Lituya Bay in Alaska. In 1958 a landslide caused a 1720’ tsunami.

Latest posts

Back