A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't that a "nicer" place than actual NYC? Heard of it, not educated on it!
It was adjacent to Pellam which I believe is the end of the line for the subway.

My grandfather was a trash collector in NYC. His basement was a menagerie. He collected others garbage when he found it.

Every wind-up toy you ever saw.

Boxes of screwdrivers...

So just outside the city.

Ben

It was adjacent to Pellam which I believe is the end of the line for the subway.

My grandfather was a trash collector in NYC. His basement was a menagerie. He collected others garbage when he found it.

Every wind-up toy you ever saw.

Boxes of screwdrivers...

So just outside the city.

Ben
.......when NYC was great!

New York City, 1900

za New York City, 1900.jpg

Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, 1935

View attachment 123641
How many have driven across the Golden Gate? I am sure that it made a huge difference for access to San Francisco and communities across the bridge. When I drove across in 1976, I was amused at the big splashes of paint on the road that had to have been from falling or spilling paint cans.

How many have driven across the Golden Gate? I am sure that it made a huge difference for access to San Francisco and communities across the bridge. When I drove across in 1976, I was amused at the big splashes of paint on the road that had to have been from falling or spilling paint cans.

Driven over it dozens of times. I saw the bridge for the first time from 21 miles away, from the top of a hill on a navy base, mare island ca. But I had never seen a photo of it. I remember being disappointed it was painted red. I thought they painted it gold for some reason. I guess the ‘Red Gate’ bridge doesn’t have the same ring to it. :rolleyes:

Driven over it dozens of times. I saw the bridge for the first time from 21 miles away, from the top of a hill on a navy base, mare island ca. But I had never seen a photo of it. I remember being disappointed it was painted red. I thought they painted it gold for some reason. I guess the ‘Red Gate’ bridge doesn’t have the same ring to it. :rolleyes:
I don't think it is exactly red, more of an red-ish orange which makes it kind of look gold.

My company had catscan at the UCSF medical center. It's on mt Sutro in san francisco facing north, a high hill closest to the gg bridge.

The bridge looked amazing at times. I tested new equipment at the hospital, all hours. The early morning on a clear days was best, when fog was rolling in or out. The fast moving fog would wrap parts of the bridge, show others, changing. I never had a camera with me, just tools.

The city was a bad place 25yrs ago, I lived 20min out of the city and it was just as bad. So politically correct it was sickening. I put a gun rack in my pickup just to annoy my neighbors. It worked, used to get post-it notes in my windshield with things written like 'bambi killer'. Laughed for 2 yrs, still couldn't wait to get out of that cesspool. 🤣

December 30, 1916: Grigori Rasputin was murdered by Russian nobles who wanted to end his influence over the royal family.

They lured the Siberian mystic to Yusupov Palace and attempted to kill him with cyanide-laced cakes and wine. When Rasputin survived, they shot him multiple times. After a struggle and more gunshots, they believed he was dead and dumped his body into the Neva River.

However, the exact cause of death remains unclear because it is unknown what stage of the attack eventually caused his demise. This event occurred shortly before the Russian Revolution of 1917.

za December Rasputin.jpeg

Plodding through the Presidents

On this day February 1 in 1834, 82-year-old James Madison wrote to 14-year-old Princess Victoria:

"It being intimated that an autographic specimen from me, as from some others of my countrymen, would be acceptable for a collection which the Princess Victoria is making; these few lines, with my signature, though written at a very advanced age, and with rheumatic fingers are offered for the occasion. They will be an expression at least of the respect due to the young Princess, who is understood to be developing, under the wise counsels of her august parent the endowments and virtues which give beauty and value to personal character, and are auspicious to the high station to which she is destined."

Victoria would ascend to the throne three years later and reign for 63 years, through the presidencies of seventeen men.

One of those men, Rutherford B. Hayes, received a gift from Queen Victoria that has since become synonymous with the Oval Office — the Resolute desk.

(the inscription on the desk gives a nice brief description:
""H.M.S. 'Resolute', forming part of the expedition sent in search of Sir John Franklin in 1852, was abandoned in Latitude 74º 41' N. Longitude 101º 22' W. on 15th May 1854. She was discovered and extricated in September 1855, in Latitude 67º N. by Captain Buddington of the United States Whaler 'George Henry'. The ship was purchased, fitted out and sent to England, as a gift to Her Majesty Queen Victoria by the President and People of the United States, as a token of goodwill & friendship. This table was made from her timbers when she was broken up, and is presented by the Queen of Great Britain & Ireland, to the President of the United States, as a memorial of the courtesy and loving kindness which dictated the offer of the gift of the "Resolute'.")

Image: Detail of a portrait of Princess Victoria by George Hayter, 1833

b Plodding through.jpg

Latest posts

Back