Dyeing CLOTH Successfully.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Anyone with abundant experience at DYEING CLOTH successfully. As in quality results. My experience has always produced double butt-ugly results.

I've done some dyeing, some successfully and some not so successfully.
Fabric must be a natural fiber such as cotton, wool, silk or linen. Forget dyeing synthetic fabrics. There are people who paint synthetic fabrics.

It has been a while since I have dyed anything because it can be messy. In order for a dye to adhere to natural fabrics, it needs something called a mordant. Remember the vinegar that is used in dyeing Easter eggs? Vinegar is a mordant.

I'd bet that there are some instructional videos on YouTube to help with the process.

Anyone with abundant experience at DYEING CLOTH successfully. As in quality results. My experience has always produced double butt-ugly results.
What color are you after?

(PS - yes, some more successfully than others. The proper mordant for both the fabric and dye are key.)

How hot does the water want to be......??? I knd'a remember my mother dyeing things in the fifties. Huge pot of boiling water. Poking it and swishing it around with the broom handle. The broom handle changed color.

Dyeing in washing machines can really make a big mess. Ever go to a laundry mat? It has been a long time since I have, but there are signs posted that say it is not allowed.
I'd use a bucket or pot that I didn't care about, and do it outside on the ground. Dye can get everywhere. It will get on towels, rugs, etc., and be there forever. Every time I have done dyeing, it was outdoors.
Hot water? Yes. But hot water can wreak havoc with wool. Hot water will cause fabrics to shrink.

Back