From coleslaw to summer salads😀

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for writing it out and now I'll copy it. I don't know why I didn't write it down before......maybe because I'd have to cut the recipe by 10 or something more manageable for 3 and sometimes that's just too much work LOL
You are welcome. I copied it from the paper shown early in the video. I was gone from home and realized that that written recipe did not include cucumbers. I have edited what I wrote earlier and now it includes cucumbers.

Thank you for writing it out and now I'll copy it. I don't know why I didn't write it down before......maybe because I'd have to cut the recipe by 10 or something more manageable for 3 and sometimes that's just too much work LOL
I know this is a large salad, but as he says in the video, it gets better every day. I am the type who makes a salad and then I eat mostly that until it is gone. I do this with macaroni salad, cauliflower salad, and others. I could make the whole recipe, put it in the fridge, and in a few days, have eaten all of it.

When I was a little girl - back in the dark ages - Mom used to make a cauliflower salad with walnuts and blue cheese. Mom didn't measure anything and as she got older didn't write recipes down. I don't know what else was in this salad, I don't think there were many ingredients, but I don't know what the dressing was. It was a creamy dressing. I can approximate this salad, but I am not sure I have it exactly right. Everything was cut rather fine, but not chopped.

Has anyone heard of this salad? I have exhausted the internet searching for it. I guess it could have been a local, church supper dish since we lived in a cauliflower growing area and some of the ladies were cauliflower farmers.

I would appreciate any recipes.
I found one recipe for it. Cauliflower, walnuts and blue cheese sound like a great combination. The recipe I found also has raisins. I am not a raisin fan, so I would personally omit them.

https://www.iga.net/en/inspiring_recipes/recipes/cauliflower_salad_with_blue_cheese_and_walnut
INGREDIENTS
  1. 60 g (2 oz) blue cheese
  2. 60 mL (1/4 cup) Zesty Italian Dressing
  3. 60 mL (1/4 cup) seedless raisins
  4. 60 mL (1/4 cup) fresh parsley
  5. 125 mL (1/2 cup) walnuts
  6. 1 cauliflower
DIRECTIONS
  1. Cook the cauliflower for 2 minutes in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain and cool.
  2. In a large bowl, gently toss the cauliflower, walnuts, parsley, raisins and blue cheese with the salad dressing.

I've wondered for years... What did pasto do to offend everyone? :rolleyes:

Must be like a Tropical Depression. I didn't even know that Tropicals got depressed.

I am a real pill at a picnic. I don't like potato salad or cole slaw. I really don't like any cold pasta salads, and deviled eggs won't even stay down.

I will go crazy making a Chef Salad. Take all the greens and add celery and maybe a couple of chopped up baby carrots. Add some kind of meat; ham is best, salami is second, but any luncheon meat will do. Throw in a handful of sunflower seeds. Cover it with shredded cheese, and some cream based dressing; Ranch; Thousand Island; Blu Cheese; so it is disgustingly unhealthy and I am as happy as a pig in slop. I think my doctor just fainted but I like it.

Growing up it was always my job to make the salad. Ma would make supper and my Dad insisted that lettuce & tomato does not make a salad....it had to have more....and that has stuck with me over the years. I loved salad bars and would pile on just about everything offered and would be a meal in itself. I was really disappointed when they did away with those. And it can cost a fortune to buy all the different ingredients to do that at home. Garden sure comes in handy for that.

You don't like deviled eggs??? Have you tried mixing in some horseradish? Or some buffalo sauce? Eggs with a kick

Growing up it was always my job to make the salad. Ma would make supper and my Dad insisted that lettuce & tomato does not make a salad....it had to have more....and that has stuck with me over the years. I loved salad bars and would pile on just about everything offered and would be a meal in itself. I was really disappointed when they did away with those. And it can cost a fortune to buy all the different ingredients to do that at home. Garden sure comes in handy for that.

You don't like deviled eggs??? Have you tried mixing in some horseradish? Or some buffalo sauce? Eggs with a kick

This just the way it works for me. If it is something I like, you probably can't do anything to it to make it bad. If it is something I don't like there isn't anything you can do to it to make it good. I don't like deviled eggs. I don't care if you put chocolate on them (or bacon) I still won't like them. For the first year of our marriage my wife used to say "I made it a different way. You will like it this way." I didn't. It ended up with the phrase, which she has heard ad nauseum, "I didn't eat it for my Mother and I'm not eating it for you." :dunno:

I’ve never been hesitant about new foods and I’ll eat just about anything. In other countries… I can’t count the number of times I’ve eaten lunch/dinner and had no idea what it was, even after I ate it! Simple, was it tasty? Smell good? Lets get seconds!

Except liver… don’t like liver. I’ve had it dozens of ways, still don’t like it.

The names of food bug me sometimes. Like refried beans, my thought? If I’m going to pay for a meal they’d better cook it right the first time. Refried beans make no sense. :rolleyes:

This morning before work, I made potato, ham, and corn salad! Diced cooked potatoes, diced ham, corn off the cob, diced onion and celery, a little sour cream, mayo!! Can't wait to eat some later!!😃

I found this at Wal Mart quite by accident. In their produce department they carry a small plastic container (maybe 2" x 3" x 4") of diced celery, carrots, and onions mixed together. I have used it in tuna salad, and some other recipes, It is a nice addition. Sounds like it would work in this recipe.

I go on dicing sprees, divide everything up in small containers. Different mixes for different things.

I am lazier than a teenage boy. Easy is always best for me.

layer salad recipe from my former boss RIP

layer of shredded romaine or ice berg lettuce
layer of carrot slices
layer of can of peas
layer of diced peppers
some diced onion but not a ton
dressing made out of half sour cream, half mayo with bacon bits ( real bacon, not the stuff in a package) and a chopped garlic
spread the dressing on top of the other layers
add shredded sharp cheddar
add more bacon

Asian salad

shredded romaine, shredded red and green cabbage, shredded carrot
green onion, garlic
dressing: mayo, honey, a little sesame oil, rice vinegar, a little soy sauce, shredded ginger , salt, pepper
top with dried rice noodles and toasted almonds

edit: forgot the main part , breaded chicken strips

Last edited:

layer of carrot slices
layer of can of peas
layer of diced peppers
dressing made out of half sour cream, half mayo with bacon bits ( real bacon, not the stuff in a package) and a chopped garlic
add more bacon
I love layered salad! It is so good!

Pinto bean salad:
3 cups of well cooked Pinto beans.
1 cup of bean broth
2 packages of Lipton Onion soup
1/2 a bottle of Italian salad dressing.
1/8th cup of fresh onion.
1/2 a box of three color rotini cooked and drained.
combine, cover, let sit overnight in the fridge.
Serve with stir fried Zucchini, potatoes and onion.

Eggs and taters.
Boil four good sized potatoes, remove from the broth
discard all but two cups of the broth, bring to a boil. (save the broth for soup!)
Stir in 4 well beaten eggs and reduce to a simmer after 3 minutes.
Add dill seed, a tablespoon of salt, a large dash of pepper and mash the potatoes by hand in the mix, add sweet relish and mayonnaise.

Meat salad.
1 can of corned beef.
2 tablespoons of minced jalapeno pepper.
1 tablespoon of minced onion (fresh, not flakes!)
1 tablespoon of Worbele's horse radish sauce.
just enough mayonnaise to make a thick paste.
Add shredded provolone and serve on a toasted piece of sourdough bread. Its a Ruben pretty much.

Tuna Mac.
1 can of drained tuna.
3 cups of drained macaroni.
a dash of onion and black pepper.
Mayonnaise.

My go-to summer salad is one my family’s made for generations:

Avocado-Tomato Salad
(serves 2, easily doubled, tripled, you name it)

1 ripe avocado, diced
1 ripe beefsteak tomato or several ripe small tomatoes, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
A small amount of onion, any kind you like, minced
A small handful of basil, finely sliced
Drizzle each of best-quality olive oil, red wine vinegar, and balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything and serve immediately. Leftovers will keep in the fridge one day, and will not look pretty but will still be tasty.

layer of carrot slices
layer of can of peas
layer of diced peppers
add more bacon
A few years ago, someone shared a potato soup recipe with me (shared in soup thread) that called for shredded carrots. I had really never shredded carrots for recipes prior to that. I'd always chopped, sliced or julianned (sp?) them. Now I shred carrots for all my soups and salads. I have a spiralizer that I use for that sometimes as well.

Macarooni.
1 box of boiled, rinsed and drained macaroni.
1/4 cup of celery.
1/8 cup of shredded onion
1/8 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of shredded red cabbage
Some folks add a box of raisins and or mixed nuts here, I do not.
Mayonnaise, a sprinkle of dill, fast shot of black pepper chill over night.

Macarooni.
1 box of boiled, rinsed and drained macaroni.
1/4 cup of celery.
1/8 cup of shredded onion
1/8 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of shredded red cabbage
Some folks add a box of raisins and or mixed nuts here, I do not.
Mayonnaise, a sprinkle of dill, fast shot of black pepper chill over night.
I like macaroni salad in the summer, but I like a lot more celery and red onion in mine. I like the crunchiness. I also like to add some frozen peas, which quickly thaw. I don't measure, but I eyeball it.

https://myincrediblerecipes.com/bacon-pea-salad/
I may have shared another pea salad recipe. It is one of my favorite salads, but it is rare for me to find a salad that I do not like.

Bacon Pea Summer Salad​

Ingredients​

• 12 strips thick cut bacon cooked and chopped finely
  • 4 cups frozen sweet peas thawed
  • 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 medium red onion diced finely

For the dressing:​

• 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup real mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. white vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions​

To prepare the dressing: whisk together all ingredients in a large serving bowl until smooth and combined.​

• Add chopped bacon, peas, cheddar cheese, and diced onions and stir to combine.
  • Chill in the fridge for 3 hours before serving.

A No. 2 can has 20 ounces or 2 1/2 cups.

Col. Sanders bean salad.JPG

Latest posts

Back