Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the three and a half TPS plants after suffering at my hand.

20240505_160241_HDR.jpg

Some normal potato plants are just starting to poke out the soil. The volunteer potato is looking good.

20240505_160227_HDR.jpg

I seeded another raised bed of all Red Bull onions. They are a long storing hybrid and a favorite if The Princess.

Ben

praise the lord my extra root stock finally shipped today....note to self...never order late season stuff from fedco....ALWAYS order early before march whatever deadline...i hope my scion is still good in refrigerator.

Put down some more seeds today- mange tout, sweet pea, white turnip, nasturtiums. Potted up some flower tubs, and topped up the bamboo I separated with fresh compost, spread the rest in some beds for more potatoes next month. Finally managed to root a few more houseplants so potted up them also. It looks like it's about to lash rain, so at least the barrels are being topped up.
What is mange tout?

Garden update. We have had a mild spring & more than usual rainfall. I also have a sun shade over 3 of my containers (3 out of 7). So far it's crazy! My wife counted 39 tomato's on 5 plants (2 others haven't done anything but they are in a shaded area. Peppers (different kinds) are all doing well & there's a LOT of them. Our single cucumber plant has 4 or 5 small ones & one that's 4 & a half inches. My wife was looking at them yesterday & couldn't believe how much they are producing.

Free Flowers for "Mother's Day" :

Attachments

• Apr072024 019.jpg
    Apr072024 019.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Apr072024 020.jpg
    Apr072024 020.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Apr072024 021.jpg
    Apr072024 021.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Apr072024 022.jpg
    Apr072024 022.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Apr072024 023.jpg
    Apr072024 023.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Army worms have stripped my elderberry plant. They usually strip my mock orange, but so far they have left it alone. Last year I sprinkled baking soda, flour, meal to try and keep them from coming back.

Maybe the ph of the soda helped to get rid of them. I have bees so I can't use poison.

well i done rest of grafting this afternoon. i done 10 grafts in an hour and then planted them out in nursery bed. so i have 30 apple trees in bed now to get head start before moving to create an orchard..hope they all live etc. so far out of first 20....16 have leaves and are growing now...i have hope for 100% rate.

will be doing some creative 'stuff' with the last 10 rootstocks tomorrow.

had a moment yesterday....when i figured out that after well over 2 years i finally got rose seeds to sprout...them suckers were put through stratification by me and natural world i think 3 times...but i looked and low and behold i seen teeny tiny roses growing..these are rosa rogusa type..one for rosehips.

ordered a new scythe yesterday..been waiting for over 4 years to get one...not been available.

surprise, Surprise, SURPRISE :

Attachments

• NewHomeAl20222024 431.jpg
    NewHomeAl20222024 431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • NewHomeAl20222024 430.jpg
    NewHomeAl20222024 430.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • NewHomeAl20222024 429.jpg
    NewHomeAl20222024 429.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 0
What is that?
Pink/Red Grapefruits with Growing Seeds Inside them...!!! I picked them up at Publix over 2 weeks ago and stuck down in the Chiller Drawers of Me fridge with Hopes that it would happen and it did...!!! Altogether there are 6 Seeds almost ready for Re-Planting...!! Got 6 Grow Pots awaiting...! Going back in the AM and see if there are any White Grapefruits there so I can try the same method with them... Did it with 2 Large Oranges and the results were dif... all small seeds in those...:mad:
☃️

👻👻

Pink/Red Grapefruits with Growing Seeds Inside them...!!! I picked them up at Publix over 2 weeks ago and stuck down in the Chiller Drawers of Me fridge with Hopes that it would happen and it did...!!! Altogether there are 6 Seeds almost ready for Re-Planting...!! Got 6 Grow Pots awaiting...! Going back in the AM and see if there are any White Grapefruits there so I can try the same method with them... Did it with 2 Large Oranges and the results were dif... all small seeds in those...:mad:
☃️

👻👻
That’s much better than what it looked like.

I have fallen in love with 4 o'clocks. Bff gave me some last year, they bloomed, seeded, and popped up showing off this year. I bought seeds, I want ALL the colors... lol.. (Isn't that how gardening works??)

flowerss.jpg

I don't recognize the name of those gorgeous flowers; are they tobacco plants?

Emptying my compost barrels and bins. Absolutely delighted with the amount of soil. Have decided to put one of my barrels on a bed, so next year I just have to know it over and spread it about. I'm going to have to rest three raised beds this year, unless I buy homemade compost from somewhere. Strawberries are starting to form, and I'm harvesting rhubarb and freezing. Putting down seeds each day. The only thing that hasn't appeared are the peppers I planted a month ago. It was a cheap pack of seeds, maybe that's why.
Once again though, I have no slips on my sweet potato. Its my THIRD year trying. I might ask my sister to start them in future, she has more luck.

After taking Dad for his outing, worked in the yard. Cleaned up one of the beds and got some of the tomatoes planted. I started from seed San Marzano (Roma), Brandywine and Boxcar Willie (beefsteak) and Supersweet 100 (cherry). Green beans were seeded in the five standing planters. Peppers were also planted. All that’s left is the cucumber, carrots, beets and Lima beans.

Latest posts

Back