Grills?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my grill out of a discarded stainless steel sink.
I split it with a cutting wheel, spot-welded some hinges on it,
bought a piece of perforated deck plate as a grill, and used another piece
to raise and lower my fire.

How to make a charcoal starter, because Naphtha and lighter fluid flavor suck.

1 large metal coffee can or #10 storage can.
Rivet or bolt on a door handle.
go around the bottom with the triangle part of a beer opener and perforate every other inch.
fill 1/4 full of crumpled paper and put your starting wood in, then charcoal last.
Light it from the bottom and wait until the charcoal gets going, using a glove, dump it in your grill and add more charcoal.

How to make a charcoal starter, because Naphtha and lighter fluid flavor suck.

1 large metal coffee can or #10 storage can.
Rivet or bolt on a door handle.
go around the bottom with the triangle part of a beer opener and perforate every other inch.
fill 1/4 full of crumpled paper and put your starting wood in, then charcoal last.
Light it from the bottom and wait until the charcoal gets going, using a glove, dump it in your grill and add more charcoal.
Frog all that. Use a hand held butane torch

What kinda Grills do ya have????
All depends on whoya ask
Someone from da hood would just smile at you with that question!😁
I have an electric smoker that looks like R2D2 I use it for yard birds

And this one that is shabby, will not win a beauty contest.
I smoke whole hogs on IMG_4641.jpegIMG_4640.jpeg

Did not read thread. Just dropping in to state that the weber kettle is the superior choice for all one's grilling needs.
Webber kettle is indeed a fine grill
If you are only grilling for 3 or 4 people it is a fine choice
What I am building is a smoker
Not a Grill,
The cooking surface is 48"x32".
Compared to the webbers 22"x22"

Webber kettle is indeed a fine grill
If you are only grilling for 3 or 4 people it is a fine choice
What I am building is a smoker
Not a Grill,
The cooking surface is 48"x32".
Compared to the webbers 22"x22"
It is large- no doubt. But I do ALOT of smoking on my kettle, for the long cooks like shoulders and brisket ill use the snake method for even heat with no need to manage.. I have fed a party of 20+ cooking 4 types of meats- but it does take some planning to get away with the smaller surface area. So i totally get your point about that-
20240407_111758.jpg

Heres an example of the smoking- 14 hours (and 2 more to rest), done low and slow- no need to manage fire. Kettle grill is by far the most versatile imo. Deep smoke ring btw- excellent flavor. I have things tuned so I have barely have to adjust things so it's mostly hands off. That's an improvement over my buddy who needs to constantly tend his offset.

Last edited:
It is large- no doubt. But I do ALOT of smoking on my kettle, for the long cooks like shoulders and brisquet ill use the snake method for even heat with no need to manage.. I have fed a party of 20+ cooking 4 types of meats- but it does take some planning to get away with the smaller surface area. So i totally get your point about that-View attachment 130092
Heres an example of the smoking- 14 hours (and 2 more to rest), done low and slow- no need to manage fire. Kettle grill is by far the most versatile imo. Deep smoke ring btw- excellent flavor. I have things tuned so I have barely have to adjust things so it's mostly hands off. That's an improvement over my buddy who needs to constantly tend his offset.

I agree Ki hate to manage and watch
I used a charcoal brinkman water smoker for 15/20 years then my wife bought me an electric, at first. I did not like iit but it grew on me
This one is for smoking 5 or 6 butts and half a dozen chickens at one time.

The grill that came with the house got beat badly in a wind storm. I replaced it with a stainless gas grill with a burner ring, In a pinch I can do my canning outside. On hot summer days I can cook outside. We also have a charcoal grill, similar to the one in post #73, but it is still in the box next to a few bags of charcoal. I can also cook on my wood stove.

Anybody got "the big green egg"?
Bought a Green Egg for my parents. They loved it. It is mine now, I guess, if I want it. It is rather heavy so shipping it home would be costly.

I three propane grills, two charcoal, my brother has a old oil tank made into a grill to cook whole hog.
I have a stainless steel one 48 X 48 & Block with expanded metal that we do not use any more.

A guy down the road a piece makes all kinds of BBQ grills! Thought I was going to go visit him, but he and his wife are coming by so we can talk about a permanent grill and outdoor kitchen area! Since it's just me in the fifth wheel cooking outside in southern Oklahoma will be a good idea! More details (and possible questions) after our visit! Does anyone here have an outdoor kitchen??

Great thread, and recipies. I've gotten pretty good with bbq chicken. (Slow cook, plenty of sauce.) Now trying to improve on using it more as an oven/smoker. We bbq several times a week.

I have an old Webber, like 30 yrs old, the plastic is all broken. I mainly keep it for taking to the lake. We got a stainless one about 10 yrs old, from Home Depot (Brinkman??). It's the workhorse. When it's hot we try to limit cooking inside, as it makes extra work for the AC. I've had great plans to build an "outdoor kitchen," but I'm lazy, and cheap. ;)

Back