Investing "OUTSIDE" the box for SAFE profits.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh... and if you had grabbed some Exxon stock when it was at $98, it is at $118 today (a cool 20% increase😀) even though the stockmarket is down today more than 500 points :oops:.
It's a good thing I don't give 'investment advice' because I would be serving 'big-time' in prison today:rolleyes:.

While nobody has been watching, the DOW has slid into 37K territory, down slightly from 39K :oops:.
I didn't want this to pollute the PM thread but I mentioned that the recent rise in PM prices may forecast a coming recession.
I have been waiting for years for the "On Sale" sign for stocks to light up.
...Hopefully I am wrong.

While nobody has been watching, the DOW has slid into 37K territory, down slightly from 39K :oops:.
I didn't want this to pollute the PM thread but I mentioned that the recent rise in PM prices may forecast a coming recession.
...Hopefully I am wrong.
I was just listening to more along these lines this morning. There is so much evidence; however, media is doing a great job of keeping the masses ignorant. Hey look who's on American Idol :rolleyes:

OT: Was thinking, I pick up yard tools (shovels, forks etc) whenever I see them cheap at yardsales.

I was just listening to more along these lines this morning. There is so much evidence; however, media is doing a great job of keeping the masses ignorant. Hey look who's on American Idol :rolleyes:

OT: Was thinking, I pick up yard tools (shovels, forks etc) whenever I see them cheap at yardsales.
That is exactly on topic with the thread title.
When things get kicked to the curb, that is the perfect time to "invest" :thumbs:.

Last edited:
...Hopefully I am wrong.
I moved some stuff around in ny 401 at the end of Q1. I've got a spread sheet set up with my 10 and 20% drop points to let me know where to start shifting back, maybe

...Hopefully I am wrong.
I was wrong.
The DOW is back comfortably in the 39K zone, and PM's are back to pretty much normal.
No soup for Sup. :(
(hint: another thread that needs to be in the Financial forum, Patch>
41349-poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif
<Super)

The single best investment that I ever made was a couple of hundred dollars & almost 35 years ago. That was for a marriage license for my wife. There was a John Wayne quote that he made in McClintock that was something like "There nothing like two people working together in life". Whoever wrote that (no, it wasn't John Wayne) said something that should rank up there with anything that the smartest 1% of people born have said. Together we have built a wonderful life & every day is a pleasure. That's better than 10 bars of gold any day.

I was thinking about my above reply. I guess that most people wouldn't think of marriage as an "INVESTMENT". And I would have to say that they are DEAD WRONG. A simple (to my mind) definition of investment is something that you would hope to make a return on. Now that is generally a return on money but it could be other things. Well I've been married twice & the first "investment" was a big, huge loss. My whole marriage I was broke because my ex was an extreme spender. I lost 80% of everything that I had made & accrued during that marriage. Plus I was deep down unhappy for half of it (a saver & a spender should never get married unless the spender has unlimited funds). The second marriage was the opposite. We not only lived below our means, but we invested. We have been in the stock market for our whole marriage & have done much better than we expected.

Now sure I could have said my best investment was the stock market or even our house (which has almost tripled in value since we bought it) but the bottom line is that had I stayed married to the ex, none of that would have happened. So my return on the stock market is something like 11 to 1. My return on our house is 3 to 1. My return on that $200 marriage license is off the charts. Marriage to the right person is the best investment that you can make, period!

100% agree on the marriage comments as being the best investment.

Had a medical procedure done today and it was interesting seeing how many of the things we have in our private medical supplys. everything from steril field drapes, sutures, scaples etc etc. I think the equipment and the knowledge to do simple medical intervention is going to be very usefull. The last estate sale I went to I scored a bunch of medical tools including bullet extractors and wound spreaders....
Now if I can get over fainting when the going gets messy.

I swear they used a shop vac for extraction today during my procedure.......

100% agree on the marriage comments as being the best investment.

Had a medical procedure done today and it was interesting seeing how many of the things we have in our private medical supplys. everything from steril field drapes, sutures, scaples etc etc. I think the equipment and the knowledge to do simple medical intervention is going to be very usefull. The last estate sale I went to I scored a bunch of medical tools including bullet extractors and wound spreaders....
Now if I can get over fainting when the going gets messy.

I swear they used a shop vac for extraction today during my procedure.......
I have what my doctor described as a a benign fatty tumor on my knee. Too much crawling around on rough grounds. I could take it out with a scalpel and a shop vax.

Ben

I have what my doctor described as a a benign fatty tumor on my knee. Too much crawling around on rough grounds. I could take it out with a scalpel and a shop vax.

Ben
if you still watch tom hanks movies look up "a hologram for the king" he trys to take off a fatty tumor with a steak knife.....then he meets a female surgeon in a muslim country.....

I was wrong.
The DOW is back comfortably in the 39K zone, and PM's are back to pretty much normal.
No soup for Sup. :(
(hint: another thread that needs to be in the Financial forum, Patch>
41349-poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif
<Super)
The DOW briefly punched thru the 40K barrier today.
...No recession for me :(.
It is just getting further and further away.:cry:

Last edited:
The DOW briefly punched thru the 40K barrier today.
...No recession for me :(.
It is just getting further and further away.:cry:
Cut n paste from Paradigm Press news letter.

"

"
Some market crystal gazers believe the gap between the 3-month Treasury bill and the 10-year Treasury note puts out a greater recessionary signal.

The 3-month Treasury bill currently yields 5.45%. Again, the 10-year Treasury note yields. 4.37%.

Here — again — the yield curve inverts.

The 10-year Treasury yield has dropped beneath the 3-month Treasury yield on six occasions spanning over 50 years.

Recession was the invariable consequence — a perfect 1.000 batter’s average.

History reveals the catastrophic effects of an inverted yield curve only manifest an average 18 months post-onset.

The 2-year/10-year yield curve inverted 22 months in the past.

The 3-month/10-year yield curve inverted 19 months in the past.

In words that are other, recession is overdue.

Might the ocean waves of recent government spending have postponed the scheduling?

We concede the possibility that they have. Government spending can put on a gaudy short-term show.

Yet at what price? A heavy long-term price is the answer.

Ben

Latest posts

Back