Looking for vertical wind generator

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
im looking into getting a small wind turbine generator to keep some deep cycle batteries topped off. i have some solar panels, some solar lights, etc that i like but i kinda got this itch between my shoulder blades telling me its smart to get another type of back up.

i thought of the pedal type to use independent or hook up to a bike but im getting pretty old. not sure id have the stamina.

so been looking at szome kind of wind generator. not looking for great power usage but for recharing some things when solar not usxable. it is usually pretty windy where i am, i think a vertical style would work pretty good.

anyone got any experience or ideas

There are vertical types of wind generators that are made for sailboats, do an internet search on those types. I researched those a few years ago but pretty much dropped the idea due to the almost total lack of wind in our area.

There are vertical types of wind generators that are made for sailboats, do an internet search on those types. I researched those a few years ago but pretty much dropped the idea due to the almost total lack of wind in our area.
They are not expensive.
I have seen them in 'yuppie-town' before, on lightpoles... all motionless. :(
Even at $189, do your homework.
We do have vicious winds down here ...at times; like 2% of the time:(.
Solar? We have full sunlight ~20% of days, (of course, 0% all night, every night:().
51SxW6EP4zL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
thanks viking. its pretty windy here every day, it a very rare to have little to no wind. so i tohught one on the peak of the garage would do something, im happy with a regular trickle charge to keep some deep cycles charged so i can use them to recharge other smaller things. i do have solar panels i use and like but my gut tells me to not rely only on them. ill keep looking. ive got no smarts when it comes to electric stuff.

i like the look of the vertical style vs the standard horizontal

this is a 400W. under $300

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LVD1HM3/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=AEXVPTEY0ZBOY&psc=1

I'm really interested how these types of generators work. I willing be building an above ground well house this spring and I am going to need to be able to supply some supplemental heat to it during the winter months to keep things from freezing. A combination of solar panels and a vertical wind generator might just do the trick!

If you wind up getting one @jazzy, I'd greatly appreciate it if you let us know how well it works!

I'm really interested how these types of generators work. I willing be building an above ground well house this spring and I am going to need to be able to supply some supplemental heat to it during the winter months to keep things from freezing. A combination of solar panels and a vertical wind generator might just do the trick!

If you wind up getting one @jazzy, I'd greatly appreciate it if you let us know how well it works!

sure thing! i ive had good experience with different solar panels, my home is grid tie and i produce enough to cove my basisc moonthly usage. just cant afford the extra deep cycle batteries to go off grid--which id love to do. . i also have some smaller solar panels i use now and then to rechargeff a couple 'solar generators' ie a couple jackery generators. but i really want a small wind turbine to do a trickle charge to have another option.

ill keep digging and post what i find. if anyone has any info id love to hear it. i feel really dumb.

sure thing! i ive had good experience with different solar panels, my home is grid tie and i produce enough to cove my basisc moonthly usage. just cant afford the extra deep cycle batteries to go off grid--which id love to do. . i also have some smaller solar panels i use now and then to rechargeff a couple 'solar generators' ie a couple jackery generators. but i really want a small wind turbine to do a trickle charge to have another option.

ill keep digging and post what i find. if anyone has any info id love to hear it. i feel really dumb.
I think Home Depot/Lowes sell smaller wind turbines. Home Depot has different sized ones if that helps.

I think Home Depot/Lowes sell smaller wind turbines. Home Depot has different sized ones if that helps.

thank you, i didnt know that. will go check them out. i feel like a small one would be a good idea, just havent found the one that says BUY ME.
still comparing stuff

sure thing! i ive had good experience with different solar panels, my home is grid tie and i produce enough to cove my basisc monthly usage. just cant afford the extra deep cycle batteries to go off grid--which id love to do. . i also have some smaller solar panels i use now and then to recharge a couple 'solar generators' ie a couple jackery generators. but i really want a small wind turbine to do a trickle charge to have another option.

How much are the batteries? I wonder where to get them? Solar companies probably have them or know where to get them.

I was just looking into what it would take to get a wind generator for home. Are there restrictions for them?

https://www.popsci.com/gear/best-home-wind-turbines/
This one is the recommended as the best. https://www.amazon.com/Tumo-Int-Tur....popsci.com/gear/best-home-wind-turbines&th=1

You might be able to get them financed. Lots of solar comes with financing. If you are like me, I try not to finance things, but I financed my new furnace in 2009, and paid it off as soon as I could.

Latest posts

Back