LOST My "MAN CARD" Today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres a man purse...its for hauling around our bullship!!

orange-the-home-depot-paint-buckets-05glhd2-64_600.jpg

I find it difficult to locate good quality canvas shopping bags. There are so many crappy ones, especially on Amazon, which has gotten to be "Crap Central" these days. You can't tell by looking at the pictures on Amazon. And you can't tell by the fake reviews on Amazon either. So I am only planning on buying them locally from now on. Where I can see them, handle them, and know what I'm getting. I might buy some online from places like L.L. Bean or Duluth Trading or some other high end (and expensive) place like that. You pay good money to get something from them, but you are rarely disappointed with the quality.

Alternately, I could just make some bags myself. I know how to use a sewing machine. When we bought a higher end one many years ago, they had a class on how to use it - 2 hour sessions that went on for several weeks. Both the wife and I attended. I can't say that I like to sew, but at least I know how to work the machine and what kind of stitch is best for what kind of job. I admit, this class was years ago, so I've probably forgotten much. But I know I could still make a high quality shopping bag. That's easy. I would start off with a long continuous length of heavy duty fabric to make the wider sides and bottom (a giant squared "U" in shape when built). Next up the handles would be sewed along that entire "U" so that they go all the way around and under the bag. Make them out of rock climbing accessory webbing. Then the side panels would be sewed onto the thing, either with an overcast stitch (is that what it's called, I can't remember!) or on the serger. No unraveling or ripped out seams on MY shopping bag! Well, I definitely lost my man card while typing in this paragraph here. But at least I can use the sewing machine and serger on my own if I need to (I may have to refresh my memory on setting up the serger, that's kind of a complex beast with threads going everywhere!)

I find it difficult to locate good quality canvas shopping bags. There are so many crappy ones, especially on Amazon, which has gotten to be "Crap Central" these days. You can't tell by looking at the pictures on Amazon. And you can't tell by the fake reviews on Amazon either. So I am only planning on buying them locally from now on. Where I can see them, handle them, and know what I'm getting. I might buy some online from places like L.L. Bean or Duluth Trading or some other high end (and expensive) place like that. You pay good money to get something from them, but you are rarely disappointed with the quality.

Alternately, I could just make some bags myself. I know how to use a sewing machine. When we bought a higher end one many years ago, they had a class on how to use it - 2 hour sessions that went on for several weeks. Both the wife and I attended. I can't say that I like to sew, but at least I know how to work the machine and what kind of stitch is best for what kind of job. I admit, this class was years ago, so I've probably forgotten much. But I know I could still make a high quality shopping bag. That's easy. I would start off with a long continuous length of heavy duty fabric to make the wider sides and bottom (a giant squared "U" in shape when built). Next up the handles would be sewed along that entire "U" so that they go all the way around and under the bag. Make them out of rock climbing accessory webbing. Then the side panels would be sewed onto the thing, either with an overcast stitch (is that what it's called, I can't remember!) or on the serger. No unraveling or ripped out seams on MY shopping bag! Well, I definitely lost my man card while typing in this paragraph here. But at least I can use the sewing machine and serger on my own if I need to (I may have to refresh my memory on setting up the serger, that's kind of a complex beast with threads going everywhere!)
No you didn't.
And if you did, Pearl probably found it.
Or I did, take your choice.
You are just being practical, frugal.
When making canvas use a good canvas, yes there is different grades of canvas as well as anything else.
I use duck canvas painter's drop cloths.
Those professional use drop cloths can take a beating.
I would have to take another class on how to use my serger, so you're not alone there either.
Sometimes it's just better to use canvas bags especially with good strong handles.

We are going to Italy in October. My other half just purchased me a man purse, with one strap, that hangs on your belly, and said, "you like this?" I cleared my throat and told her, "thanks but no thanks!"
Back to Spamazon it went.

(Man Card still attached)
Well, how big was the interior holster. If it takes a 45, it's OK.

I don't like stuff in my pockets. I used to just put my wallet in the glove box of my truck. Then I stared seeing the need to bring water and some prep stuff, got a swiss gear laptop case, because it has 2 net pouches that water bottles(SS) fit in. wore that out, went to a back pack style , then some how ended up with a pistol bag (cammo) to put the stuff in, it looks like it could be a lunch kit or whatever. very handy to have the stuff I need when I need it. BTW the man card was made up by Hollywood, A confident masculine male does not give a **** about what they or the fashion police think. I wear socks in my sandals just to piss people off, Anybody doesn't like it , well if you know me at all you know the answer to that.

I don't carry a purse! I have a wallet case for my phone, DL, credit card, cash, phone! There is an empty card slot since I don't need a man card!😉😃
My wife does too.
And the .38 snub nose goes in her pocket. (She doesn’t wear dresses)

I have noticed a trend lately

Wallets. Are on the out
( my personal). With fishing license number lolimage.jpg
Card holders are in, front pocket. Easy access

Cell phone holsters are in so at the request of my ups delivery guy

Add a knife sheath to a cell phone holder with credit card slot

We are going to Italy in October. My other half just purchased me a man purse, with one strap, that hangs on your belly, and said, "you like this?" I cleared my throat and told her, "thanks but no thanks!"
Back to Spamazon it went.

(Man Card still attached)
A couple years ago, my wife did the same ... and insisted I use it when traveling!

@Sourdough: A guy does not lose his man card when he does things smarter, not harder.

Speaking of murses, this is mine (https://www.duluthpack.com/products/field-satchel)

View attachment 127396
==
I have seen a number of black powder shooters use a bag like this for all the stuff they need to carry..
== ==
Can't find canvas bags... Look in the craft stores in the area where you paint, decorate bags, T shirts and the like... I got one from the local farm, auto supply store..

==
I have seen a number of black powder shooters use a bag like this for all the stuff they need to carry..
== ==
Can't find canvas bags... Look in the craft stores in the area where you paint, decorate bags, T shirts and the like... I got one from the local farm, auto supply store..
Those bags that muzzle loaders use are called "possible bags."

Lots of US-made canvas bags at the Duluth Pack website also at the Frost River website. Both stores are in Duluth, MN.

https://frostriver.com/

https://www.duluthpack.com/

I do like some of those ideas, but in a foreign country, those little nylon bags look pretty easy to cut and run off. I still have my gun toting fanny pack, which is pretty versatile, but since i wear purse shorts (cargo shorts) the only thing i won't have room for are my sunglasses. I use to shove my sunglasses into Mama's purse, but she no longer carrys a big purse for lightness, but honestly, i think this is just to stop me from using her as my pack mule. I can't really blame her.
I carry a very small crossbody purse. It has several pockets and I only carry essentials. If I have a bigger purse, I fill it with a bunch of stuff I never really need. Then I can never find the things I’m looking for in there.
Actually, it was a shiny black Satan (wait, not the devil, but the silky looking black) with black rope looking pull cords. It emasculated me!
Haha. I think you meant “satin”.

I carry a very small crossbody purse. It has several pockets and I only carry essentials. If I have a bigger purse, I fill it with a bunch of stuff I never really need. Then I can never find the things I’m looking for in there.
My wife also carries a crossbody purse, actually it's a canvas shell bag from Duluth Pack with a special pocket in back.
1711994125822.jpeg

1711994313076.jpeg

The bags I bought are 13oz. to the yard canvas. Most denim/blue jeans are 8.5 to 10.5 oz. to the yard canvas. I purchased (4) FOUR so I can "DOUBLE BAG" them (one inside another).

It shows a test with one bag with 50# of content, that remained hanging for 24 hours. I will rarely use the bags I bought for groceries. Now that I am a homeless/vagrant I move a lot.

The bags I bought are 13oz. to the yard canvas. Most denim/blue jeans are 8.5 to 10.5 oz. to the yard canvas. I purchased (4) FOUR so I can "DOUBLE BAG" them (one inside another).

It shows a test with one bag with 50# of content, that remained hanging for 24 hours. I will rarely use the bags I bought for groceries. Now that I am a homeless/vagrant I move a lot.
hes dead and gone for decades now so i can tell this...

old guy i knew asked me to help him move something once..said i was only one he trusted.i was in my 20's and in top shape...i got worn out moving canvas bags of money...it squatted my 3/4ton truck just stacked on rear end...lol..i was shocked at amount of coins.

hes dead and gone for decades now so i can tell this...

old guy i knew asked me to help him move something once..said i was only one he trusted.i was in my 20's and in top shape...i got worn out moving canvas bags of money...it squatted my 3/4ton truck just stacked on rear end...lol..i was shocked at amount of coins.
On Lake Clark, Alaska is a town Alsworth, it is the old-old-old Alsworth homestead. He was a pilot in the way-way back, and mostly flew supplies to the many Gold Mines in that area. They paid in Gold.

He would put the Gold in galvanized buckets and place them in the loft in the barn. After he died, his sons took over the homestead and the aviation business. The floor of the loft started sagging more & more over the years. The boys attempted to jack it up & add a bracing. There were "MANY" buckets up there.

This thread has reminded me to get bags as the grocery store while I still can!
Plastic bags - used for cleaning up litter boxes
Paper bags - used in the garden as mulch/weed control

I thought I'd read that someone made handled bags out of empty feed sacks (maybe it was another thread). I've always loved the idea of those - making good use out of those empty sacks that sure do stack up.

But I agree with @MoBookworm1957 - duck canvas is the way to go for sturdiness.

I carry everything I need in my laptop tote.

A businessman's card is mine

I carry on my body. A purse can be snatched from you and there goes your gun.
You don't know how scrappy my wife is. She wears her purse cross-body. I doubt that I could take here purse from her. In fact, if my CCW was imprinting through my t-shirt, a perp would have an easier time getting to my holstered 1911 in a surprise attack than he would snatching the purse carried by my wife.

A sackpack with the cords over both shoulders, backpack style, would be very hard to snatch 'n' grab. I use one that my employer gave out as a reward for nobody getting hurt for 6 months. It's not that comfortable and won't handle much weight, but it's handy and when you put it on, the weight of what you put in it pulls the strings tight and cinches it shut...

==
== ==
Do you have An old pair of Carhart bib overalls ? They are perfect for your black powder gear and can be used to set your rifle on when bench shooting
I do not have a picture of one made from Carhart. I do have an image of one made from camo cargo pants. Very simple to make. And not expensive. Used cargo pants from a thrift store. $3.00. Or something you out grew image.jpgimage.jpg

The above is my personal range bag
I use it as a bench rest and to haul leather tools around
Another one that has seen better days
image.jpg

Last edited:
This thread has reminded me to get bags as the grocery store while I still can!
My 4 Grocery bags just arrived. They are heavy duty material, and surprisingly huge. Me 101% happy with bags.

Latest posts

Back