Museum of appalachia norris tenn

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought we had a thread about old tools but I can't find it so will try here. Lookey what I got today 😍 Needs a little tune up but over all, I'm stoked.
Yeah, I'm not one of those gals who wants 100 pair of heels, I like the guud stuff 😂
View attachment 124392
I remember my dad had at least one of these, amongst other old tools. They seemed old then, 1970s, maybe he used them to build the house which was early 50s.
@Magpie that is so beautiful (Deals Gap). Hey @Heartbroken have you ever been there? https://www.dealsgap.com/

We had a few draw knives around the boathouse. They were a must have for replacing wooden planks and decks. The planks weren't square, they had a constantly changing compound angle to allow proper spacing for the corking. If I run across one of the corking chisel or corking hammers I'm going to grab it. Most of that stuff has grown legs over the years.

That's interesting because he had another one he figured had been "altered." I said I bet they had it hooked on something so they could pull from the one side. See what you think. If any insight, he'd love to know. It appears to have hammer marks so he likes it - and for its ability to make one wonder.
View attachment 124393
That looks like a hack.

Funny the blade was sharpened over half of the edge only. Has a nasty ding in the center.

So guessing...

The funky end is hooked under a fixed point. One hand holds something that will be split or chopped will the other hand does the work.

Google Lens thinks it is a draw knife.

Ben

Hey Patch, no I haven't - it's on my bucket list to ride the Dragon some day, but at my age and with my hermit tendencies it'll probably never happen. But I've seen it vicariously through the motorcycle youtubers I follow, and it looks beautiful.
Ben I was thinking that too, that the knife had been altered for a different use, like maybe pivoting from a hook to shave kindling off a larger chunk of wood, or something like that.

Hey Patch, no I haven't - it's on my bucket list to ride the Dragon some day, but at my age and with my hermit tendencies it'll probably never happen. But I've seen it vicariously through the motorcycle youtubers I follow, and it looks beautiful.
Ben I was thinking that too, that the knife had been altered for a different use, like maybe pivoting from a hook to shave kindling off a larger chunk of wood, or something like that.
The dragon can be riding very fast...if your really good and the bike is properly set up for it. Lots of folks have died trying that too. But thousands of folks ride it every year with no incidents. Just take your time.
We go thru there from time to time heading into the mountains. Less than an hour from the house. It's an awesome place

Are you referring to a shave horse?

Yes, exactly! I must be getting tired. I kept trying to type saw horse, which I know what those are too and not those but couldn’t get the right word. So thank you.
PS so have you ever used one?

I wish I would have known about that museum when I was living in that area for a short period of time. I could spend day there. Cool website too.

So I shared a pix of my draw knife. The fros I’ve seen only have 1 handle and were for making things like wood shingles. So what would this one be and its use?
IMG_6843.jpeg

Latest posts

Back