Off grid solar in an existing structure

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. It might make sense, if you have electric heat, stove, water heater, etc. and want to power all of those with solar. That would need a huge, very expensive solar system. I'd guess that's what they were thinking. But if you switch the really heavy loads to propane and use solar for the lighter loads, you'd need a much smaller system.

If you hire someone it is going to be expensive. First you and they / we need to know your end goal? Second you first need to see what all electrical loads you can cut back on do without. It's amazing how much power people can save just in phantom loads. Phantom loads are things that always draw a little power for remote turn on and clocks on microwaves things of that nature. All the little time saving devices that make life easy also cost you power and all those little bits add up to more than most folks realize.

If you tell us what it is you want to accomplish then we can better help you. Is this a backup system or do you want to go off the grid where you are now? What is your daily / monthly power consumption? Either way the best thing is to find and do away with all those little phantom draws, power strips can be great for this. One switch turns on or off several items at once, things you're likely to want at the same time on a switch. Just be sure it's rated for the power, most of them are not...

Last edited:
I am in the process of locating some farm land in NH. I would like to be 100% off grid. Idealy I would like to have a microhydro/solar hybrid, but that all depends on whether the land I find has flowing water 100% of the year with enought head and volume. I would also like to heat with an outside boiler. I want to use as little peopane as possible. I know its God's gas and Hank would be appalled but it's getting expensive.

I am in the process of locating some farm land in NH. I would like to be 100% off grid. Idealy I would like to have a microhydro/solar hybrid, but that all depends on whether the land I find has flowing water 100% of the year with enought head and volume. I would also like to heat with an outside boiler. I want to use as little peopane as possible. I know its God's gas and Hank would be appalled but it's getting expensive.
Try not to limit your thinking to conventional off grid methods. You're outside boiler heat might be the perfect place for TEG like I've been working on in another thread in this section.
Personally I like as many different methods of generation as I can get. Backups for the backups for the backups so to say.
Look for every possible way to make power in the area you will be in and don't be afraid to try new things like wind and wave generation.

Also when living off grid the more power you save the less you have to make. I'm getting to the point where soon I hope to have excess generation and storage after 16 years off grid!

My wife and I live 100% off grid with solar and backup diesel generator. We use propane for cooking, water heating, and clothes dryer. Currently our generator run time averages about 1 hour per day. As we get more sun and the days get longer, that average will drop.
Our well pump has its own propane generator with auto start. It's run time averages less than 20 minutes per day.
For our system, propane and diesel are very reasonable expenses.

I had Generac quote me a system for $80k. The max batteries they could provide would only provide 16 hours of backup power. They were trying to sell the system so I could sell energy back to the grid.

Depending on your location the amount of sun you get may demand a large solar array. As others have said reducing your electrical needs helps out. More bigger batteries are needed for more electricity needs.

Engineer775 see below

https://youtube.com/@engineer775?si=8ezj3-GlF4CfV1_9

Does off grid everything. You may want to watch some of his videos to some ideas.

Ben

Depends. It might make sense, if you have electric heat, stove, water heater, etc. and want to power all of those with solar. That would need a huge, very expensive solar system. I'd guess that's what they were thinking. But if you switch the really heavy loads to propane and use solar for the lighter loads, you'd need a much smaller system.
This is a very good answer, it fits in with what I tell people thinking of solar power, I always say to think minimally, don't try to run everything in your home, that's the ideal we live by otherwise your costs will be prohibitive. Many years ago we switched to mostly LED bulbs for lighting, that reduced electrical usage by better than 50%. Our Solar backup system can supply power for two large refrigerators, one large and on small chest freezer, lights and outlets and even a 42" flatscreen TV plus DVD player. There is a price to pay for those abilities, just this past year I replaced all of the deep cycle batteries in our system, plus I added one more bank of four 6 volt golf cart batteries which cost $2518 for 24 batteries, that price included $15 each for core charge, I will say the the original batteries took a beating because I really put the system through a lot of tests over the 9 years of the first set of batteries, I saw discharge and charge amperages that were scary but the system worked and the made me happy. If there is one recommendation I can give, its do your research, talk to people who build systems and if you decide to go solar, pick up all the equipment as local as you can do to high shipping costs, we did that and saved over $200, and one more thing, don't go to RV parts stores for inverter/charger units, they can be hundreds of dollars above places like www.donrowe.com, I also used Costco for the deep cycle lead/acid batteries, they are branded as Interstate and are a lot less than equivalent batteries from Interstate, they are not "seconds" but are not as high in Amp Hour ratings as you can get at Interstate, ours are 210 Amp Hour. Of course a lot of people are opting for newer high tech batteries but I'm happy to be able to afford what we have and I can just add distilled water when their electrolytes get low and so far the new set of batteries are not needing as much topping off as the old set did, but I check them once a month anyway.

When I was applying for water rights on our spring I tried to get water rights for a stream that was about 15 feet west of our spring the county said no and that the water had to go unhindered to the creek that goes through our valley, I had thought of running a fairly large pipe down to our place to run a Pelton wheel powered generator. As it is we pored a 1,100 gallon concrete cistern at the to of our property and I dug nearly 600 feet and put in a 1" PVC scedule 40 pipe from the spring to the cistern we have been using this gravity feed system since the mid 80's and it gives us 25 psi at our home, it might be interesting sometime to sit down and figure how much it would have saved us over having a well and pump system.

Last edited:
This is a very good answer, it fits in with what I tell people thinking of solar power, I always say to think minimally, don't try to run everything in your home, that's the ideal we live by otherwise your costs will be prohibitive. Many years ago we switched to mostly LED bulbs for lighting, that reduced electrical usage by better than 50%. Our Solar backup system can supply power for two large refrigerators, one large and on small chest freezer, lights and outlets and even a 42" flatscreen TV plus DVD player. There is a price to pay for those abilities, just this past year I replaced all of the deep cycle batteries in our system, plus I added one more bank of four 6 volt golf cart batteries which cost $2518 for 24 batteries, that price included $15 each for core charge, I will say the the original batteries took a beating because I really put the system through a lot of tests over the 9 years of the first set of batteries, I saw discharge and charge amperages that were scary but the system worked and the made me happy. If there is one recommendation I can give, its do your research, talk to people who build systems and if you decide to go solar, pick up all the equipment as local as you can do to high shipping costs, we did that and saved over $200, and one more thing, don't go to RV parts stores for inverter/charger units, they can be hundreds of dollars above places like www.donrowe.com, I also used Costco for the deep cycle lead/acid batteries, they are branded as Interstate and are a lot less than equivalent batteries from Interstate, they are not "seconds" but are not as high in Amp Hour ratings as you can get at Interstate, ours are 210 Amp Hour. Of course a lot of people are opting for newer high tech batteries but I'm happy to be able to afford what we have and I can just add distilled water when their electrolytes get low and so far the new set of batteries are not needing as much topping off as the old set did, but I check them once a month anyway.
If I get a system, I want to use a reputable company that will warranty all the parts including the battries. The last thing I want to do is cobble together a system on my own, I have read too many horror stories about folks trying to do it them selves. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

If I get a system, I want to use a reputable company that will warranty all the parts including the battries. The last thing I want to do is cobble together a system on my own, I have read too many horror stories about folks trying to do it them selves. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.
To each their own. Good Luck!

Make sure YOU learn how to fix things when they break or you'll be no netter off than folks on the grid when things fail.

My husband and son installed ours. We just bought a kit from Home depot and installed it. The hardest part was building the frame to put them up . We just plug an extension cord in. But we are not 100% solar, this is just for backup. We did just get another kit to add to the existing which would pretty much make us off grid if we want it. I can take a photo

I calculated how much solar we need for emergencies and it's not really much. Mostly just refrigeration. This is the first thing you need to do, you need to figure out the minimum watts and amps you will need. Most of our neighbors are 100% off grid and they have larger systems than ours but everyone here has wood stoves ( for heating, heating water and cooking in winter) with propane backup for summer cooking. We just have a ton of regular propane container and get them refilled when empty.
Refrigeration: if you get a chest freezer and hook a piece of equipment up that regulates temperature you can use that as fridge and uses very little electricity unlike a regular fridge ( heat rises).
We do not need a water pump either since our water runs off a spring on the mountain

Hope this helps, I can take some photos if you like

ours has been here for 7 years and the only thing we replaced is the charge controller which cost a little under $200
why do you want to be off grid without having knowledge on how to be at least somewhat self sufficient?

ours has been here for 7 years and the only thing we replaced is the charge controller which cost a little under $200
why do you want to be off grid without having knowledge on how to be at least somewhat self sufficient?
OH no not lack of k owledge. I know how to calculate it and I'm an electrician. I want the warrante. If I can't find what I'm looking for, then ya I'll just build it my self.

OH no not lack of k owledge. I know how to calculate it and I'm an electrician. I want the warrante. If I can't find what I'm looking for, then ya I'll just build it my self.
I'm no electrician but I've been using a home cobbled system for 16 years.

I installed my system myself. Had to hire a crane, an excavator and a couple cement trucks. The large pole mount needed an 8" sch 80 pipe, the smaller array took a 6" scd 40 pipe. My battery bank is 12-2 volt Rolls batteries @1169 amp hours each. My backup generator is a Perkins 12kw diesel. This system was quite a learning experience to get it all working properly, but well worth it. Over the last 10 years I've had almost no problems with it. I'm very pleased with it.

We bought all of our solar equipment from reputable companies, Solar panels are from Grape Solar, they supply many big box hardware stores, and other stores including Costco, Costco batteries have a good warranty, Don Rowe sells inverter/chargers all over the word, our 4,000 watt pure sine wave inverter is made here in the US, the MorningStar solar controller was purchased from Grape Solar in Eugene, Oregon. My biggest pet peeve is solar companies selling grid tied systems that have no battery backup to them, I've seen some of the solar panels they use and I don't like the plastic panels, the very best is monocrystaline, with tempered glass and aluminum frames. I have also learned that panels with higher cell counts are good, they give higher output voltages, which when ran through MPPT solars controllers use those higher voltages to give you a longer solar day of charging, on an average sun day I can have above 60 VDC near sunset, As for batteries, I'd love to have all my batteries like Mountaintrappers, Rolls Surrette but with our limited income, I can afford 24 6volt GC batteries, 6 banks of 4 each for 24 volts. Our solar backup system kicks in in 14 microseconds, if the grid goes down, if I blinked my eyes when the change over happened I wouldn't realize we've change over to solar. I will say that I have been doing my own electrical work for many years and when I worked for the local school district I had a limited industrial electrical license, when I do electrical work on our property I have followed the electrical code book, I do things myself because I have put hours into studying what I had to do, I did this when I built our home as well because I was never taught how to do carpentry, but I bought a lot of books on how to do things.

Back