Prepping covers a wide range

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
I grew up in the Midwest where prepping was not crazy, it was (and is) a way of life. If you didn't have a reasonable supply of guns, ammo, food, medical supplies, batteries, alternative heat/power sources, candles, board games, books, etc., etc. you were considered to be, well, an idiot. Before I put an practical thought in preparedness of survival I was already considerably more prepared than the average person. I am sure I could have made it through a solid 60 days or more, with a large family, just with what we normally kept on hand. Now I am sitting on an excess of one years worth of supplies. Do I expect society to collapse? Nope. Do I expect a natural disaster on an apocalyptic scale? Nope. Is it better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Absolutely. And that's what I do.

But even those of you with nothing more than your normal stock and a 72 hour kit, you are still better prepared than many. And to me, you're still a prepper.

I’ve been getting stuff together a little at a time. Think I’m up to about 3 months supply of food for my family now. Keep about 5 cases of water on hand and a filtration system needs to be purchased for longer than a week. Figure that’s about how long the bottled stuff will last us if we need it for cooking as well as drinking and washing.

Yes sir, most people are preppers, even if they don't use that title,

My gramps were preppers, but they didn't call it that,

They always had a root cellar stocked with at least a years supply of food,

And hunting and growing meat was just a way of life.

I'm a prepper.

I never stop adding to my food , guns, ammo, medical, and anything else I might need in a SHTF scenario....whatever that SHTF might be.

Jim

One only has to look at Black Fridays sales to imagine what things will be like if the food supply breaks down or society begins to collapse. If people will try and kill each other for $50 off a television imagine what they will do for food and water. While they are all out killing each other those with some foresight will be loaded magazines and preparing to hunker down or bug out.

The Bug Out Bag ( BOB ) I always have with me in my Jeep...easily survive 72 hours with it.

o07PmMm.jpg

MwFLhv3.jpg

q5FXW1D.jpg

sa45zo6.jpg

nkLdPju.jpg

WFQAlFI.jpg

ncoXgCX.jpg

Z6YhixA.jpg

hwaCgnt.jpg

vY8tZbu.jpg

iKgTDAA.jpg

sjBt27J.jpg

{ Got a similar bag full of MRE's, Trail mixes, freeze dried fruit, cashews, ...and other edibles }

GI Ammo Cans full of Ziplock Bags of ammo...Pre-loaded Magzines... You get the idea...and that's just in the back of my Jeep...

And the homestead....fagget 'bout it !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Copy Jim...

The Jeep BOB is just to fight my way back to the homestead...where I can hunker down with ALL my prep supplies...driving, or worst case scenario...on foot.

( Life Straw... gotcha ! )

My wife and I always have our GHBs when we leave the house even if the trip is less than a mile. She has a '15 CRV and if I go more than 2-3 miles I take the '81 Bronco. Also have a 8' trailer for all the other stuff and hopefully will still have a place to go 6 - 8 miles east if we need to leave.

I have arrangements with family members , SHTF, they are younger and not as decrepit as I am,
They bugout ...to my place.:cool:

Besides that, I'm set up for alternative power , heat, water, ammo, guns, food, and fuel starage .

So I aint gonna be going anywhere,

Jim

I work 62 miles from home. My get home bag is always in the trunk along with bottled water and a filter straw. Try not to let the tank get past 1/2 so I can get anywhere if gas stations go down. And keep warm stuff back there in case I need to camp in the car before getting home. The one thing I feel like I’m missing and always forget about is a laminated map of Indiana in case I have to hoof it back home. Everything is in a duffle in the trunk with a separate backpack to transfer it to if I need to leave the vehicle.

Something to consider, when setting aside food, think old school, as in biblical times...they stored lots of dry grains, and basically ate one meal a day. When you break our “3 squares per day” paradigm and understand much of the world lived well off much less food for eons, we can do so as well. Water is not negotiable, but food definitely is.

And forget the “seed bank” idea and start a garden!

If you have Amazon Prime, check out the documentary “The Science of Fasting “.

Hey Buzz...

Yes sir, I do have a Individual First Aid Kit ( IFAK )...

Totally separate bag...also in the Jeep. Nice little Triage kit...

Tourniquet, Quik Clot, Maxi Pads, Ace Bandages, down to Band Aids, even a small 1st aid guide book should I be the one needing the aid.

Goes everywhere...including at my side at the gun range today.

Like American Express says..."Don't Leave Home Without It"

I grew up in the Midwest where prepping was not crazy, it was (and is) a way of life. If you didn't have a reasonable supply of guns, ammo, food, medical supplies, batteries, alternative heat/power sources, candles, board games, books, etc., etc. you were considered to be, well, an idiot. Before I put an practical thought in preparedness of survival I was already considerably more prepared than the average person. I am sure I could have made it through a solid 60 days or more, with a large family, just with what we normally kept on hand. Now I am sitting on an excess of one years worth of supplies. Do I expect society to collapse? Nope. Do I expect a natural disaster on an apocalyptic scale? Nope. Is it better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst? Absolutely. And that's what I do.

But even those of you with nothing more than your normal stock and a 72 hour kit, you are still better prepared than many. And to me, you're still a prepper.

There is a big difference between prepping and surviving. Those who have had to survive know that one allows to to live against adverse conditions and the other is a business model made to line the pockets of people who like to sell gimmicky crap.
zombie_survival_meme_by_rawrninjaartist-d4pd1rw.jpg

My GHB (get home bag) is geared toward just getting home or to another safe place. A reload for my CCW, couple water bottles, granola bars, a (small) personalized first aid kit, lighter. For winter, 4 buckle felt lined overboots, stocking hats and mittens are in the back. I've been meaning to put a shemagh in there too but I keep forgetting. My little kit is more for emergency than "bugging out". I'm a middle aged fat guy with a bad back and I need maintenance meds to stay alive so heading for the hills isn't really an option for me...

There is a big difference between prepping and surviving.

There is a difference in the method but not in the goal. Surviving is combination of preparedness, skill and luck. Prepping (which includes skill) is is greatly reducing the percentage that is based solely in luck.

Good looking preps,
Bug out bag should be a part of every car/truck.

Only thing I would add,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm not planning on ever bugging out when SHTF, but I do like to have those supplies in my vehicle if I'm caught away from home.

Jim
I hear ya and get your point. Sometimes I vacillate ... really don’t have a redoubt to go to ... but I do have a bag and other gear in my truck. I think of it as my get home bag. I may have to get myself home or CSAR a loved one or friend. May even have to retrograde if civil unrest gets REALLY bad. So I always want some basics with me to augment my EDC.

Back