Republished my book on Kindle.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My book now has 10 short stories, title is "Tremors from My Mind" . Wrote those 10 and two more in about a year. Started 3 more. Can't seem to write anymore. Do any of you have any ideas? When I try to write, it is just a blank.

Congratulations! Its a great achievement, I know how tough it can be.
I have some short stories- won a small competition last year. I'll pop something up; currently studying English Literature and writing, though didn't get much done this summer!

Take a break from writing... and avoid forced hack writing. Writing should be an expression of your thoughts, and the words should flow from your pen... er, I mean keyboard, lol (dating myself here). I chased my literary dream for a quarter-century, now I find the most joy & satisfaction by simply sharing my thoughts on the Internet. No pressure, no having to conform to anybody's ideals or meet anybody's expectations, but if I go into depth on any subject, then I usually "go with what I know." It's easier for me that way, despite my creative imagination. ;)

My very first published story was about a sailing voyage to Isla Sur in the Coronados, off the northern end of Baja. I made a successful voyage, and for the following week I thought about how cool it was. I finally decided to share my voyage by putting it all down on paper... pen first, then the typewriter. Yes, a typewriter, most kids today don't know what that is, lol. I sent a query letter to the San Diego Reader, they told me to send the manuscript, and long story short, I received a check for $500. And that story just rolled off my pen... the enthusiasm of youth, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Later, after half a dozen stories were published (the skateboarding saga earning the most at $1000), I made plans to write a book. I developed my plot, which was and still is a good one, then sat down to hash it out... but I was attempting to write fiction, and it was a whole new ballgame. All of my previous stories were narratives, tales of adventure which I personally experienced. They flowed off my pen like gangbusters, but the fiction wasn't so easy... I'm not geared toward fabrication, that's why I now stick with what I know best. :oops:

It's funny, really... all my adult life, folks have told me, "You should write a book!" And I DID, but it wasn't the book I originally intended to write. Instead, I wrote a compilation of stories, including tales from the road, climbing and sailing narratives, even some poetry, lol. I wound up with a perfectly-crafted electronic manuscript complete with photos incorporated directly into the text of each story, so my readers could share the views as they unfolded. It was and still is an electronic masterpiece, lol... one day it might even be published for real. Hard to say in this modern world... 🤔

You see, Conservative Whitey no longer has a voice... he can't say what he wants without some libtard douchebag getting all butt-hurt. And if I edit or change my manuscript to meet somebody else's ideals or expectations, then it isn't really MY WRITING, is it? And the self-publishing websites are a scam, they deliberately f#% up your perfectly-crafted electronic manuscript, then tell you that they can "fix it" for $1000, lol. Naaaah... my writing will stand & fly on its own, I don't pay ANYBODY for the 'privilege' of expressing my thoughts. That's where the Internet comes in, lol... 🤪

Of course, I'm still dealing with censorship, and I get banned on a regular basis, lol, but at least my opinion is heard, if only for a brief moment. Better for it to be so than to edit or change my writing to satisfy some leftist douche... and yes, I've been banned a hundred times, if not more, lol. On the flip side, you can take my statements to the literary bank, as I'm not a bullsh!t artist and I speak from experience. To me, that's the best kind of writing, the voice of authority which stems from experience. Others can weave fantastic tales of fiction, but I'm not wired that way... 😒

If others can make successful careers out of writing fiction, more power to 'em... I'll stick with writing nonfiction, mainly narratives & tales of adventure backed by photos taken in the field. That's what works for me, you understand. So find your niche and express yourself... every man & woman has a story to tell, but some are better at telling than others, aye? And some can weave those fantastic tales of fiction, due to their strong imagination... the very best of all writers become the 'Titans of Literature' and their names ring down through the centuries. Their work is truly amazing... 😎

But how do you defeat writer's block?
I keep a notebook with me and jot down random stuff; other people's conversations- or a sentence from the tv, then use them as prompts. If I come to a halt on one story, I set it aside and write a totally unrelated piece of poetry or prose. I also get inspiration from news stories or (don't judge me :D) Unsolved Mysteries. I have paragraphs written that are mini stories on their own- sometimes I realize they fit into the large piece I'm writing - serendipity
I guess. I attach a piece, not sure if it will enlarge for you. It had to be Sligo based and under 500 words. I adapted a 800-word story previously written (using a Hopper painting as a prompt) and included Sligo.

Attachments

• Sligo Paper Night Windows.pdf
    520.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm glad you have a book on Amazon because I have a question for you.
Your book is available for free with Kindle unlimited. Do you make any money when the book is free?
I never did understand how that works.
I make about 75 cents for each sale. They make their money selling unlimited kindle.

I wrote the first short story about 20 years ago and then quit. I was in a college class a few years ago and we had to write a small story every day as a journal. The teacher asked if she could read mine to the class as an example of what to do. Later on, she suggested I try my hand at writing writing longer stuff. I have a short attention span, so short stories are what I like to read and write.

Last edited:
I drop one here ever month or so. not many here like them so I'll probably stop after the next one, it'll be request only however, its for grown ups. LOL

Strange thing about people's lives. they live them and don't think twice about it, but when they read them, they get all bent out of shape! Pretty much all of us have bed hopped, done something illegal, or punched someone in the face, or at least wanted to. I just write about people being people. the good, the bad and the leather and spandex. LOL JK. None of my heroes are perfect, in fact I intentionally flaw them. we all know what happened to the last perfect man on earth right? Nobody I write about is a role model.

I down load stories/books and stash them away. When I travel, when the power or internet go out I start reading. The ship I was on a couple years ago broke down and i was stuck on it for two weeks. I read several books on that trip. I currently have 247 books on Kindle plus a few in my downloads file. If I don't read your books right away it is not from lack of interest, it is just my way of reading. I value every story presented here.

I posted one story here myself. Nobody put me in for a Pulitzer but nobody threw rotten tomatoes either.

Where did mosquitomountain go? he could spin a good story too!
I miss MMM and Sue as well. He published a number of entry level how to books. If you knew nothing about a subject, pick up MMM's book on it and you would have a good basic understanding. The range I used to work at handed out his book on firearms in their beginner classes.

Just be aware, some of the copies of my book have been bought by my family members as a test and the sales did NOT show up on reports on "Bookshelf". If I can find another place to publish it, I will. All of the reviews on it are gone too except for one new one.

I have been told (actually by many) that I should write about my life flying and guiding hunters in Alaska. It is sad that so much is never recorded. Especially about life adventures in Alaska.

Sourdough, I reckon there'd be plenty of interest in your story... I remember reading climbing magazines and being fascinated by stories of climbers who were flown into remote locations to tackle peaks. I can even remember one name, Doug Geeting out of Talkeetna... though I just saw that one climbing party wrote a negative web review on Doug 21 years ago, lol. I guess Doug was too busy ferrying tourists to a nearby glacier to take the climbers when & where they wanted to go. But in the climbing stories I read, which were actually narratives of expeditions to places like Denali, those bush pilots did an awesome job, and sometimes a mighty dangerous one, due to the changeable weather, lol. Reminded me of those Nevil Shute books, THE RAINBOW AND THE ROSE and AN OLD CAPTIVITY. Great books about bush pilots & early aviation... Nevil Shute was the man! So don't discount your life experience, it'd probably make for some very interesting reading, lol. A little humor goes a long way as well... especially when describing mistakes made in the field. ;)

I can even remember one name, Doug Geeting out of Talkeetna...
Before him was Don Sheldon: "WAGER with the WIND". Good Read.
https://www.amazon.com/Wager-Wind-Don-Sheldon-Story/dp/0312853378
And before him was my boss, Bob Reeve, this is an even better book. "GLACIER PILOT". Bob would invite me to his office, where he had dozens of cases of books, he though were great. Every time I left his office, I had arm loads of books he would give me.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Bob+R...ANNTH1&refig=703d02b4c869446caaaa7d3e060ac444
I have always been in awe of the photo of Bob Reeve and the bear he took near Cold Bay. The Photo is a classic. The bear is huge, but the photo makes it look like a Dinosaur. Bob Reeve was a dear friend of mine, and just by a stroke of fate I met the guide who guided Bob on the bear hunt. The guide was in the Pioneer Home in Anchorage, and we were going room to room singing Christmas Carols.

As I looked around the Guides room there was the classic photo of Bob and the massive bear paw. Also was a Declaration Signed by Bill Egan, with the State of Alaska Gold Seal.

1689656437199.png

Last edited:
@Sourdough you have the ability and time to write your story then you should do it. Don't put it off until it's too late.
The guy that had the camping place we stayed at last week wrote a book. It is mostly a motivational story.
One day he decided he had to make a change in his life so he decided to run a marathon.
He wound up running a marathon on all seven continents. After that he said what's next so he climbed the highest mountain on all seven continents.
His name is Mitch Lewis.
Your Personal Everest

Holy Cow! That's one big bear! And those bush pilots are the kind of pilots with whom I'd like to fly, much better than the average pilot in commercial aviation. The old school pilot I met, Addison Pemberton, was much like those bush pilots... he took a trip to Alaska in a vintage biplane, setting down on country roads and fields en route. I flew with him in San Diego, aboard an old Stearman Sr. Speedmail biplane, and I never felt safer in my life where flying was concerned. The guy was one of the smoothest and most skillful pilots I've ever met, and flying in an old biplane like that Stearman was an experience I'll never forget. Way more fun than flying in some airborne stock car (commercial jet), and if the motor dies you can still glide down and make an emergency landing... those commercial jets fly like bricks once they lose power, lol. :cool:

P.S. In the case of Sully, you had an experienced commercial airline pilot who knew exactly what to do when his plane cr@pped out on him... but he was the exception, not the rule, most of those scenarios end in disaster. :(

Holy Cow! That's one big bear! And those bush pilots are the kind of pilots with whom I'd like to fly, much better than the average pilot in commercial aviation. The old school pilot I met, Addison Pemberton, was much like those bush pilots... he took a trip to Alaska in a vintage biplane, setting down on country roads and fields en route. I flew with him in San Diego, aboard an old Stearman Sr. Speedmail biplane, and I never felt safer in my life where flying was concerned. The guy was one of the smoothest and most skillful pilots I've ever met, and flying in an old biplane like that Stearman was an experience I'll never forget. Way more fun than flying in some airborne stock car (commercial jet), and if the motor dies you can still glide down and make an emergency landing... those commercial jets fly like bricks once they lose power, lol. :cool:

P.S. In the case of Sully, you had an experienced commercial airline pilot who knew exactly what to do when his plane cr@pped out on him... but he was the exception, not the rule, most of those scenarios end in disaster. :(
Sully is a rated glider pilot. There was a similar case in Canada where a commercial jet out power. That pilot landed at another airport. Also a glider pilot.

Just be aware, some of the copies of my book have been bought by my family members as a test and the sales did NOT show up on reports on "Bookshelf". If I can find another place to publish it, I will. All of the reviews on it are gone too except for one new one.
A couple independent authors I follow use "Bookfunnel". I don't know thier terms and and conditions, but might be worth a look.

But how do you defeat writer's block?
My fifth book will be coming out in the next week or so, and it took me a year and a half to write it. I was half-way done when my husband died. That caused a HUGE writers block.... even though I knew what I wanted to say, I just couldn't seem to get it down into words. Finally, about two weeks ago, the block dissolved and I finished the book. I think some of the best ways to overcome WB is to analyze why you feel blocked. In the past, I've had minor blocks from time to time and it usually was when I wasn't quite certain of the story I was telling or I was unsure about a character. In those cases, I put the book away until I could feel like I was living the story. Once I felt like I was in the story and was a thousand percent comfortable with the direction the story was taking, the block dissolved. In the current book's case, it was because I relied on my husband to be a sounding board and an editor for my books. Without him, I wasn't sure I trusted myself enough. It took over a year, but I finally realized that I could do it on my own. Lots of one-sided conversations with "him" resulted in me realizing that I had a good story, I was able to problem-solve myself without having him help me, and I loved the story I was telling. I owed it to my husband to finish the book, and so I did- and I am REALLY happy with it!

If you take the time to figure out WHY you're blocked, you might be able to figure out how to fix it. In talking to other people, it seems the biggest block is that the story is not developed enough in their mind to be able to tell it properly. When I have an idea for a story, the first thing I do is a story board - what is happening, why is it happening, what will the characters do about it, and what are the results. From those four things, I come up with the sub-plots, and work them into the story board. Once I have a pretty good idea of where the story will go, then I start looking at my main characters and work up a profile for each of them. I even go on google and find pictures of people who look like they way I think my characters look. Once my characters are pretty well-rounded as people in my mind - in other words, not just a name on paper saying things to get a story told - then I develop the relationships between the people. Only then do I start to plug them into the story. By then, in my mind, they are real people doing real things, and that helps make the story more believable. When I get blocked in this process, its usually because I am not sure about a character. Spending a little time "getting to know" the character helps unblock.

I hope this is helpful to you, and that your block clears quickly!

Diana

Latest posts

Back