Spring Wild Edibles...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
Yesterday being Spring Equinox, a day later than usual because of leap year... It seems some are reporting finding things like Oyster Shell mushrooms in the woods already.. Plus some other varieties I'm not familiar with.. This all very early in the season it seems given the very ..El Nino.. winter we have had.. It would seem this year will be a very different ..wild edible.. season than usual..

About 10 years ago now I went with a group from the local ATV riders club on an outing for lunch.. Along the way a couple riders stopped about a dozen times to pick Oyster Shell mushrooms.. Being the whole group was stopped I would help pick mushrooms.. They gave me a big Walmart bag of mushrooms.. Cleaned, sliced, browned in butter they were most WONDERFUL..

How about your area ??

Yesterday being Spring Equinox, a day later than usual because of leap year... It seems some are reporting finding things like Oyster Shell mushrooms in the woods already.. Plus some other varieties I'm not familiar with.. This all very early in the season it seems given the very ..El Nino.. winter we have had.. It would seem this year will be a very different ..wild edible.. season than usual..

About 10 years ago now I went with a group from the local ATV riders club on an outing for lunch.. Along the way a couple riders stopped about a dozen times to pick Oyster Shell mushrooms.. Being the whole group was stopped I would help pick mushrooms.. They gave me a big Walmart bag of mushrooms.. Cleaned, sliced, browned in butter they were most WONDERFUL..

How about your area ??
No wild edibles around here yet. It was 8ºF when I got up this morning. Forecast says we're going to get a total of 20" of snow over the next few days. What part of Lake Superior do you live near?

It snowed two inches here today....

But at some point we will get a bumper crop of Miners Lettuce. I always graze on that when its in season.

Lots of rainforest fruits, here...but...the birds always beat me to 'em! My fav...tiny figs...awesome. Wild macadamias, Blackberries...guava...mulberries. Heaps of stuff I can't even describe. But, like I said...the ^%^%$%^ birds know where they all are, too.

Latest posts

Back