Three Self Defense Tips for the Elderly/Aging

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1: Carry a pistol.
99% of bad guys will run if you just show it to them.
It didn't earn the name of "The Great Equalizer" for nothing :).
Listening to a long lecture about how to use a cane for self-defense is silly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just let them know I might look old but I can still kick your a$$, if that doesn't work a boot to the sternum is still effective

So is a good round house to the ear, takes the equilibrium away!😉
no one expects a boot to the chest from a grey beard, and I don't want to skin a knuckle on a knuckle head

no one expects a boot to the chest from a grey beard, and I don't want to skin a knuckle on a knuckle head
I can't raise my leg that high, but their marbles won't be safe! :oops:
You would be surprised how fast a kick to the 'nads' will deflate aggression.

Confidence in your abilities isn't everything, but it does go a long way: If you know in your mind that you will not be a victim .... your potential of success in an attack has more than doubled.

That confidence does however have to be backed-up with real life training and having the necessary tools. That's when it's a 'state of mind of' thing.

Still - The pure stubbornness of a person to survive has saved lives.

I'm too old to run, too tired to fight, but somebody can sign up for the hot lead injections.

Kinda funny how some interactions end before they start, when the homies say, "that dude carries a gun!"

Yeah, the neighborhood knows. :p

Last edited:
It is my understanding that if your life is threatened, you have the right to pull the trigger, so if you are old, small or a lady and you feel your life is in danger, you can decide.
I'm old, short and fat. Lady is not on table, but I suppose I could claim it :p

Remember that if someone says they are a black belt in karate and they are going to kill you, they threatened you with a deadly weapon.
Depending on when, and where, the response is a .38, .45, one never knows.

Lately everything hurts, most likely a .38. It thats not enough, the .45 is in the car.

Depending on when, and where, the response is a .38, .45, one never knows.

Lately everything hurts, most likely a .38. It thats not enough, the .45 is in the car.
All calibers will kill. Any bullet going over 1000 FPS will be an instant kill if you shoot someone through the heart or the carotid artery. Instant kill is good if they have a gun because they would not be able to shoot back. A .45 only goes out at less than 900 FPS. That's why I prefer a 9MM.

I haven't watched the videos listed...
How to use a cane for self defense is silly... Not necessarily..
I'm also old, fat, and slow but I do know a thug that got a rap across the ear with a cane that decided bad behavior wasn't in his ....best interest.... that day. KnowwhatImean...

Remember that if someone says they are a black belt in karate and they are going to kill you, they threatened you with a deadly weapon.
The Florida law allows use of deadly force if you "are in fear of your life". At age 75, if someone threatened to assault me I'd produce whichever gun I'm carrying, prepared to use it.

I haven't watched the videos listed...
How to use a cane for self defense is silly... Not necessarily..
I'm also old, fat, and slow but I do know a thug that got a rap across the ear with a cane that decided bad behavior wasn't in his ....best interest.... that day. KnowwhatImean...
I have a Cold Steel walking stick. Nothing more than a cane without a handle on one end.
I still remember the bayonet fighting techniques that were drilled into my head by the Army.
I have no doubt I could seriously injure someone with my walking stick. Which I bought to help my mobility.
"BAYONET FIGHTER!! ON GUARD!!"

I can't raise my leg that high, but their marbles won't be safe! :oops:
You would be surprised how fast a kick to the 'nads' will deflate aggression.
If I have my cane, I can move the cane faster than my foot. When he bends over, the same cane along side the temple will turn his lights out. Good ammo is over a buck a round.

I have a Cold Steel walking stick. Nothing more than a cane without a handle on one end.
I still remember the bayonet fighting techniques that were drilled into my head by the Army.
I have no doubt I could seriously injure someone with my walking stick. Which I bought to help my mobility.
"BAYONET FIGHTER!! ON GUARD!!"
oh my, been a long long long time. Cold steel makes some nice stuff. Yep, there is a bayonet for the M1 Garand. There is one for the .58 Zouve too :p

Last edited:
They don't know I'm old (define old), obviously female, kind of smallish...
stay safe. mostly don't go out at night. keep things locked up. don't be an obvious target. and like I always tell my daughters - be aware of your surroundings at all times, be ready. When I see older people out on a parking lot and they're alone, I do what I can to help them if they accept my help.
I didn't watch the videos, he talks too slowly and I don't know, not in the mood for it.

The Florida law allows use of deadly force if you "are in fear of your life". At age 75, if someone threatened to assault me I'd produce whichever gun I'm carrying, prepared to use it.
I agree. I went to a class for an out of state carry permit about 20 years ago. The attorney who gave the class pointed that out.

If I have my cane, I can move the cane faster than my foot. When he bends over, the same cane along side the temple will turn his lights out. Good ammo is over a buck a round.
I don't use a cane but I wonder if you can buy a one that has a concealed knife at the bottom. You pull a lever/trigger and the knife flips out. The knife would be at the bottom end, so it would be something like a sword and you would be several feet away from the attacker.

They don't know I'm old (define old), obviously female, kind of smallish...
stay safe. mostly don't go out at night. keep things locked up. don't be an obvious target. and like I always tell my daughters - be aware of your surroundings at all times, be ready. When I see older people out on a parking lot and they're alone, I do what I can to help them if they accept my help.
I didn't watch the videos, he talks too slowly and I don't know, not in the mood for it.
That's nice of you to help help others. Do you and your daughters have permits to carry?

Another option is pepper spray and make sure it is the one with invisible dye that lasts on an assailant for up to one week.

That's nice of you to help help others. Do you and your daughters have permits to carry?

Another option is pepper spray and make sure it is the one with invisible dye that lasts on an assailant for up to one week.
The gel kind sprays further and holds together in the wind!

Yeah! Me too first time. Nice. Daughters carry pepper spray. We be in Texas, not currently concealing, didn’t think a permit was required anyway.
I've had my permit here in Iowa for 24 years. I carry all the time.
Edit to clarify that I have a permit to carry a gun. I don't think you need a permit for pepper spray.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back