What if the last time you went to the store was the LAST TIME FOREVER?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem with this is the question of why you would only have one more store trip. I know I will probably annoy some people here saying this again, but devil is in the details. If we were about to get nuked by Russia, I would not go to the store at all for example, no point. If hyperinflation happened ( money losing its value at a extreme rate) , I would go buy everything I could fit in the yukon, and the truck with the trailer attached that doesn't go bad , including any hay bales left anywhere that were not horrible. I would max out every credit card I have also and I would try to get foreign currency at the bank if that was still possible ( I have some Euros)
If a real pandemic happened ( like the Stand type thing), I would not go anywhere. If enough people die, there will be plenty of food left for the remaining people to eat, you would just have to go look for it. I would not expose us to the disease
So yeah, it totally depends on the situation
I think it's really meant to be a prop to get us thinking about where we might have holes in our preps and/or our plans. As you demonstrated, if X then Y for various scenarios. Kudos! Yes, just prompting us to think along those lines so we aren't missing something.

@Tommyice & all
So many moons ago, the family worked together as a unit. Men and women both did everything but had rolls within each "category." Meaning food preservation: garden, kitchen, smoking, hunting, etc. Even firewood: women often helped. Again they worked together. Then came the "Land lords" (politics) forcing one to work outside the home which due to the fact that women have babies, the husband worked away from home putting all "home" tasks on the wife. His income was vital to their sustenance and hers became complimentary. And here we are today, that value still weighing in. If things revert back to both working from home, it will quickly become evident how important/valuable each task is.

I agreed.
When the famous covid TP-panic hit, DW went on a rampage and stocked 1/4th of the trailer with it.
We are still trying to 'wipe' it out. :D
Pretty sure she hasn't bought any in 3 years. :rolleyes:
Evidently, we haven't been pooping enough, or there is a prepper in the house I didn't know about :rolleyes: :
IMG_20240516_154203_kindlephoto-2624674192.jpg

(just for our new prepper friends that think we don't prep.:))
No expiration date to worry about :thumbs:.

Evidently, we haven't been pooping enough, or there is a prepper in the house I didn't know about :rolleyes: :
View attachment 130017

At the time it wasn't a bad idea. Has anybody else installed a bidet on their toilet? 🤔

At the time it wasn't a bad idea. Has anybody else installed a bidet on their toilet? 🤔
Our handheld shower head would stretch almost that far. Could use maybe two more feet of hose for a more comfortable and stress-free reach. Just gotta remember to turn it from "pulsing massage" to "gentle mist" though.

Yep. All ours are bidets. It will definitely come in handy if disaster strikes and TP disappears! We do not have a well, but we do have a big pond and 3 springs. Septic tank and field will take care of everything just fine.

View attachment 130017

As stocked as some are, it will eventually run out. Consider a bidet or even a hose in the toilet. Also consider sets of Cotten wipes. I bought everyone a set with a bucket (think baby diaper bucket) for everyone to put theirs in. Fill the bucket with water and some bleach. Not as easy as now and requires washing…but I washed baby diapers for years so it won’t faze me! LOL

Since bleach doesn’t stay good that long make sure you have this to make your own bleach. Hygiene and being able to keep surfaces and such clean will be very important.

1715898827356.png

If anyone wants instructions on portions and how to make, just let me know! This also will safely kill germs in your drinking water! IT MUST CONTAIN NO ADDED INGREDIENTS FOR DRINKING.

As stocked as some are, it will eventually run out. Consider a bidet or even a hose in the toilet. Also consider sets of Cotten wipes. I bought everyone a set with a bucket (think baby diaper bucket) for everyone to put theirs in. Fill the bucket with water and some bleach. Not as easy as now and requires washing…but I washed baby diapers for years so it won’t faze me! LOL

Since bleach doesn’t stay good that long make sure you have this to make your own bleach. Hygiene and being able to keep surfaces and such clean will be very important.

View attachment 130022

If anyone wants instructions on portions and how to make, just let me know! This also will safely kill germs in your drinking water! IT MUST CONTAIN NO ADDED INGREDIENTS FOR DRINKING.
20240516_190137.jpg

Ben

I have forgotten which chlorine powder to use to make chlorine bleach for water purification.

View attachment 130022

Calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite should not be stored with fossil fuels. Both are unstable and not toyed with. (Can be used to make explosives.... Bad bad bad)

Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione is safer to handle and serves the same purpose to chlorinate with water.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. Better I be wrong now than when it really matters.

Thank you!

Ben

Calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite should not be stored with fossil fuels. Both are unstable and not toyed with. (Can be used to make explosives.... Bad bad bad)

Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione is safer to handle and serves the same purpose to chlorinate with water.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. Better I be wrong now than when it really matters.

Thank you!

Ben
Yep......and it "off gases" chlorine that is highly corrosive.

Don't store it any where near any thing you don't want to rust.......very badly......

Yep......and it "off gases" chlorine that is highly corrosive.

Don't store it any where near any thing you don't want to rust.......very badly......
I was involved with a project that evaluated chemical cells to produce chlorine. They showed me an platinum electrode that looked like a burnt twig. Chlorine is mean and that is why it works to purify drinking water.

Ben

Thank you!

Ben

Check out Safrax.com

Chlorine works by attaching itself to the bacteria in the water and killing it. My cousin lived on a water system where the water was so pure that there were too few bacteria for a chlorine system to work. The State of Alaska came in and told them that they had to install a chlorinator. When confronted with the bacteria issue the State came up with an answer. They were to inject bacteria into the water and then add the chlorine. My cousin and her neighbors knew many legislators. The bureaucrats backed down.

I have seeds, grain stored (550# wheat berries alone), livestock ranging from a dairy cow and beef cattle all the way down to chickens, turkeys and quail. I incubate our own guineas and quail and chicks and let some hens go broody to raise their own. I have a minimum of 3 years worth of home canned and dehydrated food from our huge garden. If my next trip to the store was my last, hubby and I would go to Walmart and buy up every vial of insulin I could. I have an 8 month supply on hand now that I could stretch to 10 months but I’d definitely need more or I’d die when the last vial was gone. My BP meds would run out after 3 months but oh well.

My BP meds would run out after 3 months but oh well.
I spoke to my Dr last visit about getting a years worth of BP medicine. He said it is the insurance companies that limit it to 3 months. He offered to sell me it directly. I passed since I had no idea what a proper price. My sister is a pharmacy asst and suggested I check GoodRX.

@Amish Heart

Could you ask your daughter about getting a years worth of BP medicine?

Ben

serious medication is hard to stockpile here with out a prescription, they only do that for 4 weeks worth then you have to order more, by getting it say a week early it is possible to store some maybe 2 or 3 months over time but thats it.
OTC medicines arent a problem. painkillers and the like.

What about a Jace (Jase?) Case? I know they have the kit of antibiotics for long-term, but I'm pretty sure they've come out with another more personalized kit of meds where they work with your doctor for a prescription and sell it to you direct without going through insurance. I don't know the details on that (or how it might change insurance), but it might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
human waste can be composted and used on the garden, old time gardeners knew this and used "night soil" on the veg plot and had some excellent results.
too many people are squeamish with what their bodies produce, in a SHTF situation we have an unlimited supply and we use what we have.

In this day and age, you better know precisely where the night soil is coming from. With all the meds and chemical filled food stuff, people are consuming, nightsoil is toxic waste and should not be used. Lots of farms are currently finding that out, the hard way.
It is not just human feces that is full of meds. Many ranches treat their stock with growth hormones, antibiotics, and other meds as a matter of course.

Just think about that for a minute. If there was no more trips out to buy what you need, would you / your family make it?

It's just me and the lady who snuck in before I locked the door, but we have a solid 18 months or more before we have to open the door. As long as it rains from time to time and she doesn't kill me in my sleep to double her resources. She's looking at me right now. Plotting... Waiting... Eyeballing the gun rack...

As far as shelf life goes (assuming you're able to stockpile some meds:)
Medical authorities state that expired medicine is safe to take, even those that expired years ago. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/

Back