What is the "Proper" name for "HOT" LIME......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you want to use it for, but there are two types of very caustic lime. Both are strong bases.

Quicklime, which is calcium oxide, and hydrated lime, which is calcium hydroxide. Quicklime is very reactive and will heat up to high temperatures when mixed with water. Both chemicals will raise the pH of what they're mixed with to over 12. They can be dangerous if mishandled. Where protective clothing, rubber gloves, and goggles.

I am not sure how these forms of lime will accelerate decomposition. They do just the opposite. Quicklime and hydrated lime will kill bacteria and molds immediately upon contact. That is why some will add these to outhouse waste to slow decomposition, thereby reducing odors and flies. Likewise, after a catastrophe in 3rd world countries, dead bodies are covered in lime to stop the decomposition process, odors, flies, and rodents.

Last edited:
I've heard it called slaked lime too. Definitely will burn skin and eyes.
I've used slaked lime to remove hair off of an elk hide, it worked pretty fast. I've also used it to break down the bodies of road killed deer as well as greatly reducing the rotting smell, I like to keep a few sacks always handy for that purpose.

I spent a full month traveling rural and deep rural and wilderness New Zealand. It was a time and place where trust simply existed as the default reality (roughly 35 years ago). I walked or hitch-hiked from farm to farm, from town to village., and back again. I was a wealthy vagrant, wandering a paradise, untainted.

On farms they would show me everything. But I became fascinated with "Offal Pits". Their design, function, danger, extreme danger, the safety required, their application, etc..

I am still fascinated with Offal Pits.

Latest posts

Back