What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are attracted to moisture, I was in a hurry to get a shower before going out one day.
I jumped in without looking and got nailed between the toes by one of those big black scorpions we have here in the mountains.
It hurt me for two days.
We only have those little brown ones (I hope🤔😮)!! They just feel like a dozen wasps stung you in one place!!

Boy !!! I love bears and wolves !!!
I am welcoming tigers and protecting them
1715917641722.png

it's raining today so no big plans, probably going to bake a cake to see if I can figure the oven out ( it's electric and weird....never baked in anything like that , there is no heating element)

we picked up the rental car yesterday, I was surprised in how bad of shape the roads are here now. They used to all be perfect. Lots of older houses in villages falling down too. I guess the older population is dying off and had no kids, and the immigrants live in larger cities. My area of Germany is sort of like WV, son commented on that too, " looks like WV, except no trailers"
Food is cheaper here than in the US for the first time I ever remember. Not much but some. Chicken is more expensive for some reason.

Oh the rental car place upgraded us to a SUV. So the guy at the counter tells me that, and I was like " oh no, the roads are so small, not sure I want one" he laughed and said " no worries, this isn't the size of your US SUVs" ( not exactly what he said but I can't translate it } . I told him we had a Yukon and a big truck at home but I would not want to drive that here. We got a VW something Suv, it's small. I could fit it in the back of the Yukon lol . Its also a Diesel, weird

Talking a walk around primeter first thing checking out storm damage
I recorded this so you could hear my hooty hoot. 2 years ago he nested in a tree outside my bedroom window. I was not thrilled hearing him all night

What I saw when I opened the door

IMG_0449.jpegIMG_0450.jpeg

Little later......ain't even had coffee yet !!!!!!!image.jpg

Last edited:
Chores this morning. Greenhouse should be arriving around noontime. Going into the bigger town for animal feed and pharmacy pickup. Hoping our other truck will be ready from the mechanic later today. I'll pick that up, then that makes both trucks serviced and ready to roll. Neighbor amish guy was over till late last night visiting, so I slept in a bit.

Well today is starting out to be a weird day as you can see I had to clean limbs up before daylight, that's OK that's part of part country life. I am building a smoker and I need sand for my mortar I know where some is so I take off to go get it, About a mile from the house the windshield wipers quit working, OK I am not mad I can fix it later, I keep going and fined a pine tree in the middle of the road so I get out and start throwing limbs on the side of the road making a path that's that's how we do here in the country we don't make phone calls we don't call the army we just clear path I was about halfway done when a County Rd., Worker in a truck shows up and he jumped out and we got the rest cleared so I start to go around the trash and get stuck, dammit he pulled me out and I continue on my way I make it to the sandbar and the storm has wiped it out. it's gone it will be back in about a week my trip was for naught, but as I was coming back I saw the county Worker and he said they had sand at there barn go get some he said

Went to my sisters in the city last night for a visit. Saw my nieces and nephews, then went into town for a book launch and into the restaurant next door to the bookshop, that we occasionally went to as teenagers, if we were feeling flush, or posh :D it still does great food. It was interesting to watch the city world go by...
just home, watered the poly and catching up on emails.Have to head back tomorrow as my daughter has a spare concert ticket. I feel like a typical student- heading out and not doing my work lol

Coffee, watching the light rain, gotta put a starter in a loader today, old loader heavy starter, parked in the mud

I had to work today!! :mad: gaah
Somebody volunteered us to blow up balloons for neighbors son's graduation party tomorrow.
Started with a helium tank leftover from their other son's graduation.
Didn't make it thru half of the
41I had to blow up today, so we had to get another tank.
It said it blows up 50 balloons**.
Barely made it thru the rest of them and I could tell it was 'done' too.:(
**I looked at the free balloons that came with the new tank, fully inflated, they are 9".
Brag picture:
image0 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
Back from putting the heavy starter in the old loader in the mud, Now to remember not to say yes for a few days

Weekend starting soon
Already mid-May :oops:
Time fly fast ...maybe because I am busy busy lol
Today mowed grass ...grocery ...roast beef in my oven

I adore my sweetheart and all my other babies
But HE is so special too... Igor my baby boy 💘💘

Wish you a great sleeping night even if not going to bed right away 🍷
1715988824323.jpeg

Worked till noon. Came home intending to work up a few rows in one garden spot for beans and okra. It was raining. So just chilled out in the house. Finally quit raining so I hit the porch with a stogie.
Back up at 430 to head to work. We're installing more internal parts in one of the big buildings for our BDAs. Got 5 going in that facility.

I had a wonderful afternoon and evening with my GF but on my way home from her place it went south in a hurry. I had just crossed the Des Moines River Bridge when a doe came sprinting out of the median and stopped in my lane. I locked 'em up and got slowed down from 70 to maybe 45 but I hit her dead center in the front of my truck. Took out the whole front end, the radiator and transmission cooler, and jammed the passenger side door. A deputy responded and since I was still 6 miles from home we decided to tow it. We'll have to see if the truck is totalled or not. I guess for a while, I'll be driving the Corolla I bought for my daughter to drive to school...

I had a wonderful afternoon and evening with my GF but on my way home from her place it went south in a hurry. I had just crossed the Des Moines River Bridge when a doe came sprinting out of the median and stopped in my lane. I locked 'em up and got slowed down from 70 to maybe 45 but I hit her dead center in the front of my truck. Took out the whole front end, the radiator and transmission cooler, and jammed the passenger side door. A deputy responded and since I was still 6 miles from home we decided to tow it. We'll have to see if the truck is totalled or not. I guess for a while, I'll be driving the Corolla I bought for my daughter to drive to school...
Glad y'all are ok!! Sucks about the truck, but glad you have the car!!

Back