Wide Mouth canning jar lids for "WIMPS" to open.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Looking for suggestions for Mason Canning Jar lids, for weak, wimp, pathic, old, arthritic Hands. Need not super seal, just for dry storage of beans or macaroni.

Weedy.... How has this type vacuum sealer held up for you ?? I have considered getting a sealer like this, but have read a number of reviews saying they work great to begin with, but do not hold up well over a bit of time..
Facts, details, experience, thoughts.. ??

For lids, you can just buy the plastic screw on ones. If you're not worried about sealing the jar. I use them all the time for odds and ends.
Yes, I was mostly wondering it one type/brand had better grip features.

Weedy.... How has this type vacuum sealer held up for you ?? I have considered getting a sealer like this, but have read a number of reviews saying they work great to begin with, but do not hold up well over a bit of time..
Facts, details, experience, thoughts.. ??
I haven't had mine very long, so I can't give a fair review about it. I ended up getting it because of seeing other people mentioning it.

This isn't what you're asking but maybe it will help. I keep those channel.lock.pliers made for removing oil filters in the kitchen junk drawer. Just for those stubborn lids
Why doesn't he just admit defeat and get one of these?
He's gonna need it for other ones anyway :rolleyes:.
716ViHAZtsL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I see them all over Amazon. I buy them from the amish bulk store. Just type in white plastic mason jar lids. They're all the same. I use them for dry goods, and also I put berries in jars with those lids and they go in the fridge. The berries last longer that way, out of their plastic containers you buy them in. I've put blueberries in mason jars with those lids and put them in the freezer and they did fine. The lids just screw on and off easy.

image.jpg

We have one of these and even Hubby uses it. It’s upside down as that little tab at the top catches on the ring. We just call it the green thing. It’s amazing how well it works. I think I might have given a buck for it. If you are interested, I actually think I have another one. Let me know if you are and I’ll go look/dig it out for you.

If you are looking to use canning jars for dry storage then once used lids, or even new lids, and rings snugged but not tight would work fine. Tattler lids would also be an answer. If you don’t tighten them down they should be easy enough. I also remove the rings after the canning jars cool. I wash the jars and rings, letting both dry before gently replacing the rings. This removes any food or oils that might glue the ring to the jar. It also reduces chances of the ring rusting to the jar and making it difficult to open.

Latest posts

Back