Will a single duck live happily with chickens? And/or...how do we introduce ducklings to a slightly older single duck?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganmeg

Friend
Neighbor
Hi all! I tried the "search" function for this but couldn't figure out which keywords would get the results I was looking for :)

I'm a newbie homestead dreamer, and like many people, step one was getting chickens last year. So far, we've had pretty good luck with our chickens. We took some losses last year - mostly Bantams who kept flying over the chicken yard fence - but for the most part our girls and roosters (Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Reds and a couple Brahmas) are good at sticking together when they free range, and heading together back to the coop well before dark.

We decided to try ducklings this summer and our luck was not nearly as good. When they were about a month old we lost 3 of 4 within 48 hours. We took a few days to read up and figure out how to prevent it from happening again, and in the meantime, our duck (a Swedish Blue) has decided he's king of the chickens. He runs around with them quacking while they cluck and can be quite bossy, even with the roosters who are about three times his size. He doesn't go in their coop, and we are still bringing him inside at night because we're so afraid of losing him to a predator, but we can't do that forever.
At this point I'm not quite sure what to do about introducing new ducklings to the older duck who is running with chickens. I'm afraid he'll be aggressive with them or that they won't bond with him, because they'll be so much smaller/younger than him right now and because who knows, maybe he has a bit of an identity crisis going on. But I also know ducks are social creatures who need other ducks around, and while he seems to be at least coexisting with the chickens that's not the same as him having his own kind to live with. How would you handle this?

Get more ducks. We have ducks in with our chickens. They get along fine. The ducks generally sleep in the coop with the chickens, but the problem with ducks is they will leave the coop at night, which makes them easy pickens from the owls. We lost several ducks last winter before I got the net over the run. We have 9 new ducks in the brooder right now. When they get a little bigger we'll turn them out with the other ducks and chickens.
I'm building a new run that'll cover about a half acre or so. Just need to put in some more posts and put up the wire. Yesterday I put in a large stock tank for the duck pond. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep it from freezing.

We had a wood duck get blown in after a major storm once. She moved right in, and the chickens pretty much ignored her, and her them. after a week, she built a nest and suddenly we had as many ducks as chickens!

Get more ducks. We have ducks in with our chickens. They get along fine. The ducks generally sleep in the coop with the chickens, but the problem with ducks is they will leave the coop at night, which makes them easy pickens from the owls. We lost several ducks last winter before I got the net over the run. We have 9 new ducks in the brooder right now. When they get a little bigger we'll turn them out with the other ducks and chickens.
I'm building a new run that'll cover about a half acre or so. Just need to put in some more posts and put up the wire. Yesterday I put in a large stock tank for the duck pond. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep it from freezing.
Thanks! We learned the hard way that ducks aren't quite as self-protective as chickens. One thing I'm not sure about is how to introduce the younger ducklings to the older duck who by this point is over two months old. He's so big! I guess I worry that without a mother they will get bullied, either by the other duck, or the chickens. But I suppose we can introduce them to the flock slowly?

We had a wood duck get blown in after a major storm once. She moved right in, and the chickens pretty much ignored her, and her them. after a week, she built a nest and suddenly we had as many ducks as chickens!
Ha! We really do love watching the duck's antics. He's so much messier than the chickens were but he's very fun to watch!

Latest posts

Back