WW3? Or nuclear fallout

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These two never should have gotten nukes in the first place.

I wonder if they would go to that level? They have to know, as everyone else should, it would be devastating.

Once this starts, all the nuclear plants on the earth could go down. Anyone else wish we never had them?

This quote is something I had read about in the last few months. In my genealogical research, my ggg grandparents would have experienced this, as agrarian peasants or peasant farmers.

"The effects would be similar to what happened after the greatest volcanic eruption in historic times, the 1815 Tambora eruption in Indonesia. This cooling from this eruption triggered the infamous Year Without a Summer in 1816 in the Northern Hemisphere, when killing frosts disrupted agriculture every month of the summer in New England, creating terrible hardship. Exceptionally cold and wet weather in Europe triggered widespread harvest failures, resulting in famine and economic collapse. However, the cooling effect of that eruption only lasted about a year. "

If power failure happened across America how many Nuclear plants would melt down? Remember the reason in the end that Fukushima melted down was the cooling towers lost power to cool the rods. People mention the effects of an EMP as losing power and air conditioning or water supply etc. but I rarely hear anyone mention all of the Nuke plants that melt down within a few days or hours of no cooling. I think more would die from that than a lack of food in a few weeks or lack of water.

If power failure happened across America how many Nuclear plants would melt down? Remember the reason in the end that Fukushima melted down was the cooling towers lost power to cool the rods. People mention the effects of an EMP as losing power and air conditioning or water supply etc. but I rarely hear anyone mention all of the Nuke plants that melt down within a few days or hours of no cooling. I think more would die from that than a lack of food in a few weeks or lack of water.
A nuclear plant melt down is not like a nuclear bomb. In Japan at Fukushima they only evacuated out 12 miles.

A nuclear plant melt down is not like a nuclear bomb. In Japan at Fukushima they only evacuated out 12 miles.
But they continue to leak for a long time. Weather, and wind can drag the leakage around quite a bit. They covered the plants with concrete there and Chernobyl. Fukushima leaked int o the sea. and levels raised all the way to the US coast. How many Nuke plants across America? How far is the distance between them? How many sit on waterways? How far will the damage leak if left unchecked?

In order for a bomb to throw significant amounts of radiation into the air the fireball must come in contact with the ground. An air burst produces more damage and is the most likely. If India hits Pakistan with a ground burst the radioactive fallout will come back on the trade winds. If either decides on a ground burst China gets a healthy dose of fallout. Neither can attack the other above the atmosphere unless they are willing to get hit with the same EMP.

Pakistan hasn't wanted to play nice since day one. They hate each other. They have been fighting over the Kashmir Region for forever. Unless one side is threatened with extinction I don't see it going nuclear because of the MAD principal. Neither side can afford to give up nor can either side afford to win.

Most of the "information" on this topic is just blatant fear mongering.
30, 15 kiloton nukes are not going to generate a world wide nuclear winter. We, the US and Russia and China have detonated well over 450 kilotons of nukes (over 50000 kilotons in one blast) and we barely managed to raise the background radiation in the areas around the test facilities. Even with our careless detonation of many megatons of nukes we have never caused a global event.
Look closely at what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki after they were bombed. In each city, made of bamboo and paper, less than a third of the population died. Less than 240,000 people total in the two cities combined. That number includes the number killed by fires and by lingering effects of radiation. Most of those died due to fires that consumed the city following the bombs. One man who was in both cities when they were bombed lived a healthy life until he died of old age at 84. In a modern city the death toll would be much lower due to all the steel and concrete buildings that would shield people from the blast and radiation.

I'm not saying it is a good idea to fire off nukes but don't fall into the fear mongering that any radiation will kill you. You are exposed to ionizing radiation every day, 24 hours a day, and your body repairs the damage. Just like when you exercise and tear down muscle and bone your body repairs that damage and makes you stronger. The body responds to radiation in much the same way - unless you are hit with a massive dose all at once - then it is like getting hit by a truck - it is too much for the body to handle. In reality you get more radiation from a flight over the polar route than you do in a chest xray and people fly those routes every day.

So when you see someone glowing in the dark it is probably an angel and not someone who has been eating tuna from the Pacific Ocean.

In the USA they have a fifty-mile possible evac zone around all nuke plants. Even at that it appears their plan was to err on the side of caution.
The US military tested many nukes inside the USA, and not just in the desolate southwest either.
I fully agree with Sheepdog, there are other things to worry about instead of radiation.

I don't worry as much about the airborne rad as I do the water supply getting trashed. Almost every plant in the US is built on or very near rivers or oceans. If the plants melt down it will contaminate the water supply. Airborne will be bad but will blow on over at some point and distribute the fallout over a wider area.

India has a much larger military, and population base than does Pakistan. Pakistan has made up for that by building more nucs than India has. If India tries to win a convincing battle against them the Paki's will nuc them and India will retaliate. In the latest flare up India has been the aggressor and Paki has tried to downgrade the flare up, even to the point of releasing the captured pilot. It seems to me they want this to stop before it gets worse. But there will always be tensions in that region. Always has been.

Almost every plant in the US is built on or very near rivers or oceans
I believe the only nuke plant in the world that is not built next to a body of water is America's largest that is just west of Phoenix. Built in the desert.
It was built there because the then CEO of the power company owned that worthless land and sold it to the power company.

Your probably right Hiwall. I know they have to have large quantities of water both for cooling and to create steam to generate electricity.
The plant near Phoenix loses about 50 million gallons of water per day as lost steam. The plant uses treated wastewater from Phoenix that comes via a canal dug just for that purpose.

I am with Sleep Dog.
That a worse case thingy.
All the bombs already dropped tell a different store.
Of course, I know very little & only have knowledge from reading,so I could be wrong.

http://www.energyjustice.net/map/nuclearoperating

I thought there were more nuclear plants? According to this map, we really are much safer out west, at least for nuclear. The Yellowstone caldera seems to be more of a threat for us.

Colorado has a shuttered nuclear plant.
The plant near Phoenix loses about 50 million gallons of water per day as lost steam. The plant uses treated wastewater from Phoenix that comes via a canal dug just for that purpose.
That way Phoenix residents are not drinking their own recycled urine.

Yellowstone is an extinction event waiting to happen. It is the largest super volcano on the planet.
I am just far enough west that it will take a year or so to affect me personally. I will get to watch the rest of the northern hemisphere go dark before I starve to death.
I may try to get into the southern hemisphere to stay ahead of it a bit. On the bright side we won't have to worry about global warming for a decade or so.

Yellowstone is an extinction event waiting to happen. It is the largest super volcano on the planet.
I am just far enough west that it will take a year or so to affect me personally. I will get to watch the rest of the northern hemisphere go dark before I starve to death.
I may try to get into the southern hemisphere to stay ahead of it a bit. On the bright side we won't have to worry about global warming for a decade or so.
I would imagine that others would do the same. For once, immigration would be headed south of the border.

"If you can see the mushroom cloud run away..."
Hahahahahaha:eyeballs::good luck:
If you see the mushroom cloud, and the heat doesn't burn your skin or the blast doesn't knock you or the buildings around you down then you should check the direction of the wind and walk into it, or at 90 degrees to it. If there is any fallout it will be carried on the wind. If you can take shelter in a deep basement, an underground electrical causeway or electrical vault with at least 2 feet of earth or concrete between you and the surface you are much better off. Take enough food and water for a week and you will be fine.

I think I've saw it in hard copy in other places. Amazon perhaps. But there is a ton on info in it.
It is listed as a best seller! That is really interesting! The price is cheaper than printing it out and binding or putting it into a 3 ring binder.

I worked with a woman who took her students to some government place on a field trip, many years ago. I worked in another part of the building and was completely unaware of the field trip and the results. Every student in her class was given a gieger counter, or so she told me. I did not see one of them and have no idea what kind they were. I learned this piece a few years later. I was green with envy!

There are a few varieties of geiger counters available on ebay, and probably from other sources. You can get a digital geiger counter for around $25.

https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-War-...s=nuclear+war&qid=1551799052&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back