Above Ground Pools - Anyone with experiences?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've put in one before, and learned some lessons, but looking to see if anybody here had some things they learned.

Some things I pretty much have learned already:

1. You always want to be sure the ground is perfectly level and solid.
2. Almost ALL of them will require purchasing a bigger filter pump (often for about 200-300 bucks extra)
3. Get a good pool vacuum
4. I'll definitely need to build a small entry/exit deck and stairs vs. a flimsy ladder
5. I'll need to run PVC conduits to get a power cord and a hose out there to the pool (so I can bury the conduits a little bit, and still easily mow the yard).

I don't plan on spending the amount required for an in-ground pool, but not too hard to find a decent, large above-ground pool for about $400 or so, and that's more do-able.

Just looking to see if folks encountered any other trouble I'm not considering.

Thanks!

I've put in one before, and learned some lessons, but looking to see if anybody here had some things they learned.

Some things I pretty much have learned already:

1. You always want to be sure the ground is perfectly level and solid.
2. Almost ALL of them will require purchasing a bigger filter pump (often for about 200-300 bucks extra)
3. Get a good pool vacuum
4. I'll definitely need to build a small entry/exit deck and stairs vs. a flimsy ladder
5. I'll need to run PVC conduits to get a power cord and a hose out there to the pool (so I can bury the conduits a little bit, and still easily mow the yard).

I don't plan on spending the amount required for an in-ground pool, but not too hard to find a decent, large above-ground pool for about $400 or so, and that's more do-able.

Just looking to see if folks encountered any other trouble I'm not considering.

Thanks!
One thing I'm sure of is when you get tired of it, it's a lot easier to get rid of it when you do. Most people love a pool for the first two or three years, then it just becomes a maintenance issue. I used mine a lot in fla as it was warm most of the year, but it was still a maintenance pain in the a--. I will say one thing as far as prepping goes, it could be a good water supply in an emergency.

The prepper in me wants it for the water supply, but the kid in me just wants a pool. We're already planning to get a new grill, lay in some patio blocks for an outside table, and build a gazebo frame over it this summer...so kind of taking the first step towards more outside entertaining. The gazebo frame is also going to have some shelf space and storage for the grill, maybe even an outside sink and power hookup.

I figure we'll probably purchase the pool after the season ends (when prices drop like crazy), then put it in just before the next pool season starts next year. Just planning for it now, as we want to consider it when doing the other outside areas.

a above ground pool is a great idea when it comes to having a supply of water..but yet,making sure that it cant be seen in a shtf situation is the most important part of having it..a neighbor up the street from me has one..it's in the open for all to see.and it'll stand out like a pair of sore thumbs in a knitting class,in a shtf situation..

i must admit to having one on hand no matter what the situation is..is a great idea.that is if dont live in alaska..lol

Where I'm putting it, you really can't see it from the street. Heck, you can't even see it if you came up the 400' long driveway, and parked. You'd have to pretty much go all around the house to see it. (and I do plan on having a 6' privacy fence up around it after we get it in.)

The house is angled strangely on the property. Because of the location of things, makes it pretty easy to conceal most, because all you can see from the road (which is still pretty far), is two sides of the house (which really obscures how big it actually is), and one side of the free-standing garage. You can barely make out the stables. The pool, on the other hand, would be entirely hidden by the rear of the house from the street angle. On the sides and back of the property, a tree line blocks visibility completely from those angles (and just another property on those sides, no streets, etc.).

Here's the street view: (can see we're pretty far back there....)
ranch-street.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this is old but, I know someone that had about half of the above ground built into a dirt type hill and it wasn't very visible. I have one. I have no choice because of tock issues . I have a deck all the way around it and lattice on the sides so you can't really tell it's a pool fromthe road. The deck is about 6 to 7 feet high off the ground.

Latest posts

Back