Actual inflation

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappy1

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My granddaughter in IL uses Walmart pick up so she doesn't have to take her kids in the store. Yesterday, she put in a re-order of groceries from 2022. The price she paid in 2022 was $168.72. It is still in her Walmart history. She ordered exact things today and price is $476.34- only groceries. That is how much our inflation has increased! Wow!
Sure, inflation is under control. LOL

I can't do that on mine since I don't use pick up.

I did the same thing using my pops account 2020 to 2024 went from around $160 to $290 and several items fell off the second order because they no longer carried that product. The people who claim the economy is going well are either so wealthy that they have servants do their shopping or they are the primary reason why those little silica packets in beef jerky say "do not eat".

I did the same thing using my pops account 2020 to 2024 went from around $160 to $290 and several items fell off the second order because they no longer carried that product. The people who claim the economy is going well are either so wealthy that they have servants do their shopping or they are the primary reason why those little silica packets in beef jerky say "do not eat".
The people who claim the economy is going well are either so wealthy that they have servants do their shopping or they are the primary reason why those little silica packets in beef jerky say "do not eat".

Ok, I LOVE THAT STATEMENT!!!! As far as the economy if you cherry pick what your going to base inflation on I'm pretty sure that you could make the statement that prices going down. And that's what they are doing. The common sense way to see what's happing is that if gas prices go up 30% everything delivered by gas power will go up too. Everything petroleum based will also go up. Ray Charles could see that & he's not only blind but he's also dead, yet our politicians pretend not to understand it or believe that it's happened. Now I don't track the price of groceries in general. I don't buy them often enough to do that. But an example I can give in York Peppermint patties because I buy them for my SF. Fixe years ago they were 8 (something, probably 99) per bag. I found a cheaper place to buy them a couple of weeks ago & they were $13 (something) a bag. And that place was 2 or 3 dollars cheaper than where I bought them for 8 something a bag. Now I'm no math wizard but even 8 to 13 isn't even close to 7% inflation.

My granddaughter in IL uses Walmart pick up so she doesn't have to take her kids in the store. Yesterday, she put in a re-order of groceries from 2022. The price she paid in 2022 was $168.72. It is still in her Walmart history. She ordered exact things today and price is $476.34- only groceries. That is how much our inflation has increased! Wow!
Sure, inflation is under control. LOL

I can't do that on mine since I don't use pick up.
I wonder how much shrinkflation she'll notice?

just got back from shopping, spent $97 at walmart and got everything I need for the week. I think you just have to shop different from before. I buy just about no processed food except I got one pack of turkey lunchmeat and one large pack of pepperoni for pizza, plus a jar of marshmallow cream to make snickers bars but it was under $2
here is what I got
watermelon ( on sale $.248
( and they are good, I have bought 2 of them already )
bananas still cheap
a few tomatoes and cukes since ours are not ripe yet, same for green pepper
milk ( will start milking this week but no time yet)
several cheeses
tortillas and corn tortillas ( husband likes Mexican)
canned green chilies
yogurt
4 gallon waters ( in case ours gets dirty)
1 lb ground beef I am using today since I forgot to take goat out of freezer
tofu
cool whip
1 cheap walmart bread multigrain
1 jar of shortening for baking
1 large jar peanut butter
1 jar strawberry jelly ( husband wanted it)
hot dogs for when I have no time to cook

I think that is it, most expensive items : pepperoni ( but it will last a few months, I freeze it) , lunchmeat

Not throwing shade @sonya123 but shortening is 100% processed and isn't actually even food, same with Cool Whip which is just processed oil. Tofu, regular peanut butter, jelly and hot dogs are also highly processed. But I get your point, a modern shopper has to be a lot more diligent when shopping than we used to.

Not throwing shade @sonya123 but shortening is 100% processed and isn't actually even food, same with Cool Whip which is just processed oil. Tofu, regular peanut butter, jelly and hot dogs are also highly processed. But I get your point, a modern shopper has to be a lot more diligent when shopping than we used to.
I need the shortening to bake zuccine bread for the market, nothing else ( like butter or oil) works in that, it won't turn out. I don't use it for anything else
cool whip I like for various desserts, but it's still cheap around $1 a container
hot dogs maybe once a month , none in winter when there is no market
tofu I buy every week, to make Asian food, sorry no idea how to make my own tofu....I do make cheese when we have enough milk from the goat(s)

You can look at my diet thread on what I actually cook
today: stuffed zuccine from the garden, with the ground beef, tomato sauce and cheese on top plus smashed potatoes

no wait, I use shortening for pie crust, a mix of shortening and butter but I probably bake 5 pies a year for us , so no big deal

I don't CARE. We are on the road to destruction.
It is too late for government to do anything about it.
I only wish people would get serious about PREPPING.

Here's what inflation looks like in slow motion...
Got a love-letter from DirectTV yesterday:
IMG_20240901_185748.jpg

Well, we got a little surprise coming for AT&T, in the works :waiting:.
DW discreetly got a Verizon 5G WiFi hub months ago, and we have been slowly transitioning everything over to it.
When we finish, $70 per month will vanish in a puff of smoke! :oops:
In another week, I will begin testing with the AT&T hub unplugged.
The only thing we will lose will be the Ethernet to the old computers (which are not used anymore :rolleyes:).
What was that old saying.... "Don't get mad, get even!:waiting:".

Last edited:
Going shopping on the 3rd when my SS comes in. I used to buy Little Debbie's Nutty Buddy bars for 99 cents a box. Now it's on sale at $5 for 2 boxes. Not anymore as I can't afford that simple luxury. Whole chicken fryers $10, hamburger $4 a pound on sale, Iceberg Lettice used to be 79 cents each now $1.89. A luxury for me now is milk to use for cooking not drinking or with cereal. I've said it before, if the Democrackheads are going to fix things what are they waiting for? Why did they make it happen to begin with? Sure inflation is dropping. Dropping from the 9%+ 3%. Not to 3% as they claim but by 3%. Stuff is still higher than Biden's nose.

Here's what inflation looks like in slow motion...
Got a love-letter from DirectTV yesterday:
View attachment 161137

DW discreetly got a Verizon 5G WiFi hub months ago, and we have been slowly transitioning everything over to it.
The only thing we will lose will be the Ethernet to the old computers (which are not used anymore :rolleyes:).

I got rid of Dish a couple of years ago now I think.....can't remember for sure. It was the BEST thing ever! They wouldn't announce their rate hikes. They'd just add on whatever they wanted and hoped nobody noticed. I'm sure they were banking on people not noticing their autopay bills. I'm sure many people don't pay attention, but I do. I'm so glad not to have them in my life anymore!

I just cancelled hubby's uniform service. The price was just increased to over $40 per week. It was a luxury we both enjoyed, but I can do his dirty laundry and routinely buy him new pants and shirts for that amount.

I just renewed insurance for the equipment and trucks. It went up over 17% from last year without any tickets or claims and a top notch credit score. WTH? I ended up dropping some coverages to compensate for the increase. I think it's just another way to get fuel guzzling equipment off the roads and out of commission to pave the way for mandated 'electric' vehicles. Yeah, I'm sure an electric dump truck, front end loader, and escavator will work really well. :rolleyes:

I think the luxury type of businesses are going to start feeling a pinch real soon. That will not be good for the overall economy. As prices keep going up, more people are going to ditch the things they don't really need, which will in turn lead to more unemployment. The house of cards is teetering on the edge.

I got rid of Dish a couple of years ago now I think.....can't remember for sure. It was the BEST thing ever! They wouldn't announce their rate hikes. They'd just add on whatever they wanted and hoped nobody noticed. I'm sure they were banking on people not noticing their autopay bills. I'm sure many people don't pay attention, but I do. I'm so glad not to have them in my life anymore!

I just cancelled hubby's uniform service. The price was just increased to over $40 per week. It was a luxury we both enjoyed, but I can do his dirty laundry and routinely buy him new pants and shirts for that amount.

I just renewed insurance for the equipment and trucks. It went up over 17% from last year without any tickets or claims and a top notch credit score. WTH? I ended up dropping some coverages to compensate for the increase. I think it's just another way to get fuel guzzling equipment off the roads and out of commission to pave the way for mandated 'electric' vehicles. Yeah, I'm sure an electric dump truck, front end loader, and escavator will work really well. :rolleyes:

I think the luxury type of businesses are going to start feeling a pinch real soon. That will not be good for the overall economy. As prices keep going up, more people are going to ditch the things they don't really need, which will in turn lead to more unemployment. The house of cards is teetering on the edge.
With inflation the cost of replacing stuff goes up to the insurance company. So cost of insurance goes up .

Ben

With inflation the cost of replacing stuff goes up to the insurance company. So cost of insurance goes up .

Ben
I understand that, but if we're paying that much more, I can't even imagine what those who have tickets or claims are paying. My homeowners insurance didn't go up nearly as much as the equipment and trucks. People are not going to be able to afford this for long and I'm sure many will go without insurance all together which will ultimately cause rates for those who are paying to go up even more.

posted this on my diet thread but it's so shocking I will post it here: mcd's on the way home yesterday ( nothing much around else)
$20 for 1 plain double cheeseburger and small fry ( this is what I got, I used to get these burgers on trips for $.99 , even still before covid) , 1 quarter pounder and large fry ( husband) , that' s it! Not even sodas

Yeah, we're not getting takeout tonight to eat with husband. Tired of the poor quality and prices. Last night we brought in food I made. Worked out fine. Tonight I think I'll scramble some eggs, do some sausage and french toast and layer it in the Stanley Pot. And bring that. Last night's fettucini alfredo and chicken worked out just fine. Tastes like real food anyway.

Finally found a backdoor way to change my TV over.
It was the last one, (pressing the 'settings' button would do nothing.)
Unplugged the AT&T hub today. :)
Testing has begun, (or should I call it 'The Death March'). :waiting:

Finally found a backdoor way to change my TV over.
It was the last one, (pressing the 'settings' button would do nothing.)
Unplugged the AT&T hub today. :)
Testing has begun, (or should I call it 'The Death March'). :waiting:
Testing is going well. :)
So far, the only laggards were:

The automatic cat-feeder is connected to WiFi and DW can actually see pictures when the cat eats, on her phone if she is away.
Got it changed - working good. :thumbs:

DW had 'changed' living room TV over to the 5G hub, but it was caught still using AT&T.
Got it changed - working good. :thumbs:
Testing continues... every hour I see that unplugged wire sitting on the desk....it smells like FREEDOM!!! :woo hoo:

Sup, we use US Cellular, but they have a hub that i need to look into. Do you have tv as well or just internet on it?
I mostly use DirectTV, DW uses both, with hundreds of channels on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Samsung Plus, Disney+, and too many others to name, that come from the internet.
The only time I need internet on my TV, is when heavy rain drowns out the satellite dish, the TV automatically switches to internet. :)

Testing continues... every hour I see that unplugged wire sitting on the desk....it smells like FREEDOM!!! :woo hoo:
Happiness:D =
IMG_20240905_190733.jpg
(Notice, no lights on.)

We use direct TV too. But AT&T took them over and prices go up all the time. I'm ready to kill it. Tryin to find an alternative for the few things we watch
You've seen the commercials with the pigeons, right?
DirectTV is available without a dish, if you have a beefy hub.
They will save tons of money by parking all those service trucks (and techs) that maintain all of that satellite hardware.
I'm certain it will be cheaper over the net with all the competition out there, like Hulu, et-al.
They are struggling to catch up.

We use direct TV too. But AT&T took them over and prices go up all the time. I'm ready to kill it. Tryin to find an alternative for the few things we watch
You may want to check if Verizon 5G is available in your area.
A couple weeks after she picked up the hub, they shipped her a free Chromebook laptop :D:
IMG_20240905_195136.jpg

(the screen looks much better than my pic :().

Last edited:
You've seen the commercials with the pigeons, right?
DirectTV is available without a dish, if you have a beefy hub.
They will save tons of money by parking all those service trucks (and techs) that maintain all of that satellite hardware.
I'm certain it will be cheaper over the net with all the competition out there, like Hulu, et-al.
They are struggling to catch up.
I would bet that they will give you a big price-break when you switch to 'streaming' because they are bleeding customers big-time. :oops:

As far as I know, DirectTV and Dish® are the only sources that will carry your local TV stations.:(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back