Anybody else regret moving to the country?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanrose

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We left a city where everything was close and moved to the boondocks. I don't like the house - it's not designed as well as my old house. I hate the bathroom and the design of the house. My old house was perfect. There is zero storage in the new house and I find myself getting frustrated and wanting to move back to the city. We have to drive 45 mins to get to stores. We have coyotes that scare the heck out of me because I'm a city gal! I know that something bad is coming upon us - I know that many of you know it too. Bas anyone ever regretted their move to the country and how did you reconcile it?

We left a city where everything was close and moved to the boondocks. I don't like the house - it's not designed as well as my old house. I hate the bathroom and the design of the house. My old house was perfect. There is zero storage in the new house and I find myself getting frustrated and wanting to move back to the city. We have to drive 45 mins to get to stores. We have coyotes that scare the heck out of me because I'm a city gal! I know that something bad is coming upon us - I know that many of you know it too. Bas anyone ever regretted their move to the country and how did you reconcile it?
never regretted it for a minute, we left the city 25 years ago and never looked back.
where we live now is clean, minimal crime, less traffic and less people, we can hear the wildlife and even see it at times.
sure the stores are 40 minute drive each way but we only go once a month and get everything else locally, corner store and farm shop less than a mile from our house.
there is no way I am EVER going to move back to the city.

No- i deeply hated living near cities. I could care less about the format of a home- I'm happy sleeping on the ground so it's all luxury to me.

OPs complaints are a consequence of conditioning. In the country if you don't like coyotes you trap and shoot them. If you don't like how far you have to drive to stores you find ways to become less dependent on them or purchase/ship in a way that reduces how often you use them- and if you dont like something about your home you change it or just pick a home in the country thst you actually like. You have far more autonomy over those choices in the country as there is always less red tape and less scrutiny.

Blaming country living for problems wrought of a self conditioned urban approach is illogical. Country living isn't your problem, it's city thinking.

Well said, Canon 29. Little granddaughter and I talk about "city People" a bit. She likes to observe them. Or people coming here to visit us for the first time who live in a city. Some say that they love farms, but we are convinced that they love farmer's markets, or the idea of a farm, but not really a farm in actuality. Many people that live in the city love the inside of a house. I love the outside more. And there's work to be done in the country. You don't see as many people sitting in their house on their screens 24/7. Although I'm sure there are some.

Some people are just not cut out for the country. You should just move back to the city if you are unhappy, Shanrose.
We've always lived where my husband's job took him, and I never complained. So at retirement, I got to pick. Only bummer is that I wish I wasn't so old and could do more, and he can't do hardly anything now. But, he always had a good job, and wouldn't of found a job like that in the country, so it's all give and take I suppose.
I love having guests that feel that visiting us is their happy place.

never regretted it for a minute, we left the city 25 years ago and never looked back.
where we live now is clean, minimal crime, less traffic and less people, we can hear the wildlife and even see it at times.
sure the stores are 40 minute drive each way but we only go once a month and get everything else locally, corner store and farm shop less than a mile from our house.
regretted it for a minute, we left the city 25 years ago and never looked back.
That's encouraging, thanks. Maybe I'll get over it. I hope so.

Nope, I'm glad I'm in the country.
Why did you move there?
We moved to grow our own food as all food is irradiated, destroying the nutrients. I also thought that the country was collapsing and the cities would become crime-ridden. A. big guy in our neighborhood was attacked by what he called "a crack whore" just down the street - she was a skinny thing on drugs and tore his backpack.

Hubby loves it - says it's the man in him. He loves playing with his tractor and seeing the wildlife. I'm wary of wildlife, even though I love animals. The coyotes howl at night and come onto our property and I've never used a gun. The people who lived here before us left their cat for us to care for when I can barely care for myself! Now I have. to buy cat food and flea products. I feel I'm too old to do this - that we should have done this years ago. I'm just having second thoughts. I feel I'm too old to do this. I miss my old house - hubby fixed it just the way I wanted it now I have this house that I just don't like the design. It will cost $$$ to renovate. Just kind of tired I guess.

No- i deeply hated living near cities. I could care less about the format of a home- I'm happy sleeping on the ground so it's all luxury to me.

OPs complaints are a consequence of conditioning. In the country if you don't like coyotes you trap and shoot them. If you don't like how far you have to drive to stores you find ways to become less dependent on them or purchase/ship in a way that reduces how often you use them- and if you dont like something about your home you change it or just pick a home in the country thst you actually like. You have far more autonomy over those choices in the country as there is always less red tape and less scrutiny.

Blaming country living for problems wrought of a self conditioned urban approach is illogical. Country living isn't your problem, it's city thinking.

Finishing your posts with .02 is kinda cool. I get that you’re posting from your point of view and it’s your two cents.

Still, I wonder if .02 is a wicked new cartridge. I mean your posts pack a wallop.

Meant as a compliment, and my .02

A man wouldn't care less about the house format! Women do! We completely renovated our house in the city exactly how I like it. Now I don't feel like starting over. You sound like my husband. He loves it here. I love animals but a coyote attacked a woman and tried to drag a child away out of his own driveway. I guess I'll ask my hub to shoot them. I don't want to hurt them but I don't want them attacking us. A family member has really good watchdogs. A terrier mix went right up to a bear and barked at it. If I had a dog like that I'd feel safer but hubby doesn't want anymore dogs to care for. I may try to convince him.

It probably is 'conditioning' - I had every store, dentist office, doctor's office, dollar stores, Whole Foods - everything was close. I seee your point about becoming less dependent. I just feel this pull back to the city. Maybe it will pass.

You are right on point about less red tape. My hub asked if he could build a small cabin on our property and the housing inspector said "We don't care what you do on your property." So hubby loves that freedom. He wanted to build a small cabin for guests. We've
had huge bucks and baby deer come right into our front yard which is majestic to watch. I miss my neighbors too.
You raised some good points. Thank you.

Being out of your element is hard. It is a comfort zone thing. Humans advantage is the mind and focused senses. Fear in any situation is your enemy, especially the wild. a person can't get over those fears all at once it takes time. Coyotes are cowards, they are kind of the rural equivilant to gang bangers tough in a group. singled out they just run. Actually city wild life is far more dangerous, they no longer fear humans.
Also you have to live in the actual country parts , not the sparsely populated areas with city values, like not shooting problem bears.

Some people are just not cut out for the country. You should just move back to the city if you are unhappy, Shanrose.
We've always lived where my husband's job took him, and I never complained. So at retirement, I got to pick. Only bummer is that I wish I wasn't so old and could do more, and he can't do hardly anything now. But, he always had a good job, and wouldn't of found a job like that in the country, so it's all give and take I suppose.
I love having guests that feel that visiting us is their happy place.
Yes I'm on the fence. The other reason why we wanted to leave the city was all the WIFI waves. When I turned my computer on I had 7-10 wifi signals around. A family member did a lot of research and found out how bad WIFI is. I'm having terrible memory issues and a family member said it's from WIFI.

It's a tough call. I'm on the fence.

We've never lived in the city, but have lived in towns a couple times over the years. We now live 18 miles from a town of 600 people in a county of 2800. There are no traffic lights in this county. We have bank here in town, 2 gas stations, feed store, 1 grocery store, 2 bars, a hardware store, gun shop, etc. Pretty much everything we need is here. If we want to go to a larger store or building supply store, they're about 100 miles away. During winter that could take 3 hours or more. During winter I plow or snow blow about 3 miles of road. Our driveway is 2 miles long. Sometimes it takes 3 days to get our road open after a big storm. We usually get snowed in for several weeks every winter. The livestock still needs to be fed everyday and the ice needs to be removed from their waterers twice a day. I have several miles of fence to maintain every year.
We live 100% off grid on solar. Our well pump runs off a propane generator. The pump house has a propane heater to keep everything from freezing.
There is nothing easy about living this way, and not everyone is cut out for it. We have a pretty good sized fleet of vehicles and equipment that needs to be maintained. Our nearest neighbor is 4 miles away, which is still too close in my opinion. Our property is totally inside the National Forest, so we'll never have anyone building anywhere close to us. I can get on top of a hill at night and not see a single yard light in any direction. Can also shoot a gun in any direction and not worry about hitting a house.
We enjoy the wildlife around here. We like listening to the coyotes at night, and the occasional wolf. Last night I turned the front porch light on and there was a red fox eating the dogs food.
Sure it's challenging, but I couldn't imagine living any other way.

Being out of your element is hard. It is a comfort zone thing. Humans advantage is the mind and focused senses. Fear in any situation is your enemy, especially the wild. a person can't get over those fears all at once it takes time. Coyotes are cowards, they are kind of the rural equivilant to gang bangers tough in a group. singled out they just run. Actually city wild life is far more dangerous, they no longer fear humans.
Also you have to live in the actual country parts , not the sparsely populated areas with city values, like not shooting problem bears.
Thank you! You recognize "being out of your element." It has pushed me out of my comfort zone and it's uncomfortable.

Where we moved to you're not allowed to shoot bears! That's another thing that troubled me. I love animals - but from afar. What are we to do if a bear shows up? One just broke into a senior woman's house in CA and killed her. I think he broke the door down.

Maybe it's the transition? I don't know.

This story alarmed me:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/california-fatal-black-bear-attack/

I love the Country, but I am bias, I was raised on a farm in a eighty year olds house with screw in fuses, a water pump.
Ten roof & no insulation, no AC, just wood stove for heat.

Thank you! You recognize "being out of your element." It has pushed me out of my comfort zone and it's uncomfortable.

Where we moved to you're not allowed to shoot bears! That's another thing that troubled me. I love animals - but from afar. What are we to do if a bear shows up? One just broke into a senior woman's house in CA and killed her. I think he broke the door down.

Maybe it's the transition? I don't know.

This story alarmed me:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/california-fatal-black-bear-attack/
But you still see the benefits of your new digs in the country.

Let me ask a question: Do you really want to back?

We've never lived in the city, but have lived in towns a couple times over the years. We now live 18 miles from a town of 600 people in a county of 2800. There are no traffic lights in this county. We have bank here in town, 2 gas stations, feed store, 1 grocery store, 2 bars, a hardware store, gun shop, etc. Pretty much everything we need is here. If we want to go to a larger store or building supply store, they're about 100 miles away. During winter that could take 3 hours or more. During winter I plow or snow blow about 3 miles of road. Our driveway is 2 miles long. Sometimes it takes 3 days to get our road open after a big storm. We usually get snowed in for several weeks every winter. The livestock still needs to be fed everyday and the ice needs to be removed from their waterers twice a day. I have several miles of fence to maintain every year.
We live 100% off grid on solar. Our well pump runs off a propane generator. The pump house has a propane heater to keep everything from freezing.
There is nothing easy about living this way, and not everyone is cut out for it. We have a pretty good sized fleet of vehicles and equipment that needs to be maintained. Our nearest neighbor is 4 miles away, which is still too close in my opinion. Our property is totally inside the National Forest, so we'll never have anyone building anywhere close to us. I can get on top of a hill at night and not see a single yard light in any direction. Can also shoot a gun in any direction and not worry about hitting a house.
We enjoy the wildlife around here. We like listening to the coyotes at night, and the occasional wolf. Last night I turned the front porch light on and there was a red fox eating the dogs food.
Sure it's challenging, but I couldn't imagine living any other way.
You sound like my husband - he's in his glory here. He bought solar but hasn't installed it yet. You are right: it's not easy living this way. I don't know if this will pass and I'll acclimate to it. Maybe if I had a dog I'd feel safer - dogs usually sense danger long before humans. Hubby doesn't want another dog but they're the best protection IMO.

Our terrier was a great watchdog. She was a little thing but went after our neighbors two big Rottweilers. The neighbor told my hub "that dog has b*lls!"

Do you have a dog? I've been considering getting one. Just the presence of a dog might scare off the coyotes? Although if they're in a pack they could go after my dog.

Lot of changes. Figuring it out. Love talking to others on here and the distilled wisdom.

Your on the right track as far as cities being crime ridden and our Country on the verge of collapse. Our Government today is doing everything it can to turn us into a 3rd world dictatorship. Maybe we can reelect Trump and he can put us back on the right road. As for now the Gov can't handle the position they've put us in. They wont be able to help us in case of natural or man made disasters. Our economy is very fragile at this point and not much would tend to collapse it. You need to busy yourself with canning or dehydrating food to store. If you don't know how learn it. This will also keep you busy so your not thinking about the things you don't like. Are you raising chickens? Eggs and meat right there you can trade and barter with! Find your closest neighbor and make friends, you might find yourself seeing things in a different light.

You sound like my husband - he's in his glory here. He bought solar but hasn't installed it yet. You are right: it's not easy living this way. I don't know if this will pass and I'll acclimate to it. Maybe if I had a dog I'd feel safer - dogs usually sense danger long before humans. Hubby doesn't want another dog but they're the best protection IMO.

Our terrier was a great watchdog. She was a little thing but went after our neighbors two big Rottweilers. The neighbor told my hub "that dog has b*lls!"

Do you have a dog? I've been considering getting one. Just the presence of a dog might scare off the coyotes? Although if they're in a pack they could go after my dog.

Lot of changes. Figuring it out. Love talking to others on here and the distilled wisdom.
Tell your husband you’re getting a pit bull (my recommendation because the one I have is great, aside from not playing well with other critters, which is a plus sometimes, and they truly are loving and happy dogs, playful and fun too, from my experience)
Seriously, just tell him you’d be happier and feel safer with a dog. You can’t go wrong with a Shepard mix.

But you still see the benefits of your new digs in the country.

Let me ask a question: Do you really want to back?
That's just it: I don't know if we should move back. It's hard being on the fence. I am afraid of the city. A family member told me that foreigners parked in a busy lane of a highway. The CEO of the hospital ran into and killed one of them. The hospital fired him (which I thought was unfair). and his life spiraled down.

The same EXACT thing happened to us. Hubby was driving on the highway and foreigners were parked in the middle of a busy highway with their trunk open with cars swerving around them. I don't know how they're giving them a license to drive when they don't know our laws and can't read English.

I don't want to denigrate anyone but they're causing a lot of problems. And Americans just put up with it. Why?

So I know the cities are becoming unsafe in many varied ways. I just do miss being close to everything and having good neighbors around.

Last edited:
Your on the right track as far as cities being crime ridden and our Country on the verge of collapse. Our Government today is doing everything it can to turn us into a 3rd world dictatorship. Maybe we can reelect Trump and he can put us back on the right road. As for now the Gov can't handle the position they've put us in. They wont be able to help us in case of natural or man made disasters. Our economy is very fragile at this point and not much would tend to collapse it. You need to busy yourself with canning or dehydrating food to store. If you don't know how learn it. This will also keep you busy so your not thinking about the things you don't like. Are you raising chickens? Eggs and meat right there you can trade and barter with! Find your closest neighbor and make friends, you might find yourself seeing things in a different light.
Yes we can all see the country is collapsing and we are a 3rd world. I know someone who worked in a hospital in a ritzy area - where all the Hollywood elite go to. I recently saw the area online and it was 3rd world. Foreigners had tents on the sidewalks. Shops were closed. I read that in San Francisco the foreigners do their business right on the sidewalk. Why? There must be public facilities there.

Please don't put any faith in Trump; he's controlled opposition. Look for Mr. E transvestigations on the Trump family.

What on earth is coming next? And how can we best survive and thrive? It's hard to know which path to take.

yelling at coyotes works, but they control a lot of pests and are far more good than harm
I read that but a coyote attacked a woman walking in her neighborhood and another tried to drag a young child away. So I'm not too fond of them coming close. I bought solar alarms that flash and screech when anything comes near. I hope they work.

Change is difficult. The house is really a minor thing. You'll get your house in order eventually. But you moved out of the city for a reason. All the other issues of country living are just minor in comparison. Both environments require adjustment to your lives. You'll get used to your new environment as long as you keep focused on why you moved there in the first place. Take it one day at a time, keep your mind open. Moving back to the city is defeat, and the old problems will all be there. Rise up to your new challenges! Your current environment is a far safer place to be if the SHTF!!!

Change is difficult. The house is really a minor thing. You'll get your house in order eventually. But you moved out of the city for a reason. All the other issues of country living are just minor in comparison. Both environments require adjustment to your lives. You'll get used to your new environment as long as you keep focused on why you moved there in the first place. Take it one day at a time, keep your mind open. Moving back to the city is defeat, and the old problems will all be there. Rise up to your new challenges! Your current environment is a far safer plae to be if the SHTF!!!
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. Change is difficult. I can alter the house but it takes $$$ and time. I think that getting a dog will help me feel safer. If the dog came with me whenever I walked outside I could relax more, knowing the dog's senses will pick up on any threats.

What trouble are they having?

Oh - and we're battling fire ants and red wasps. AAAARGGGHHH!
If your wasps are anywhere near a garden hose, get yourself this car wash wand and fill it with blue dawn soap. Hit them with the soap spray and they'll be dead right there. Get it from Northern Tool, Walmart or Amazon. Way cheaper than wasp spray.

Wash-N-Rinse Spray Gun, Model Number WNR5D​

Most anything kills them; Brake Kleen, WD40, starting fluid...just don't use around the fire

Latest posts

Back